PDA

View Full Version : Terminology Clarification

Dreamwalker
07-18-2010, 06:10 PM
I've found this forum to be immensely useful as I research my next racquet purchase. One thing I just realized was that many of the posts/reviews tend to use common terms when describing racquet characteristics. I know the definitions of these words but I'm not sure I fully understand what the authors mean when they describe a racquet using these words. Can someone help clarify? Hopefully this will be helpful to others as well. Thanks.

* crisp - ?
* muted - related to sound? vibration? or something else?
* solid - in contrast to hollow? or in contrast to flexible?

pyrokid
07-18-2010, 06:18 PM
Crisp is hard to describe any other way than 'crisp'. A crisp racquet can be either flexy or stiff, IMO. it's just a feeling that happens with some racquets like the PSL and K90. (flexy and firm, respectively)

Muted means dampened, like not having as much feel as a frame usually does.

Solid is in contrast to hollow.

rich s
07-18-2010, 06:35 PM
I've found this forum to be immensely useful as I research my next racquet purchase. One thing I just realized was that many of the posts/reviews tend to use common terms when describing racquet characteristics. I know the definitions of these words but I'm not sure I fully understand what the authors mean when they describe a racquet using these words. Can someone help clarify? Hopefully this will be helpful to others as well. Thanks.

* crisp - ?
* muted - related to sound? vibration? or something else?
* solid - in contrast to hollow? or in contrast to flexible?

no sarcasm or disrespect intended...but.... I think you are going to get as many different definitions as you get response.....

Dreamwalker
07-18-2010, 06:42 PM
no sarcasm or disrespect intended...but.... I think you are going to get as many different definitions as you get response.....

That may not be such a bad thing. Even if the definitions vary, if there's some common thread tying them together, I'll hopefully be able to walk away having a better general sense for these terms.

anirut
07-18-2010, 07:32 PM
Let me give it a try.

I'm going to compare it to the feel when chewing food in the mouth. Just translate that feel to the hand.

Crisp - Japanese octopus sushi.
Muted - salmon.
Solid - nice, thick, chunky prawn.

All for fun ...