PDA

View Full Version : Volkl racquets get free endorsement

Riosfan
07-19-2010, 08:08 AM
A tennis journalist wrote an interesting story about his preference for using Volkl sticks. Pretty good read and some very good anecdotes about Volkls and some very good players who use them. iF the people at the Volkl office read this, they will be quite happy : ) ...

http://tennis-prose.com/articles/i-love-volkl-racquets-so-much-heres-a-free-endorsement/

ollinger
07-19-2010, 08:41 AM
"A warped green Spaulding" was his racquet when he "first started playing tennis SERIOUSLY." Not sure Volkl wants this sort of endorsement.

ChipNCharge
07-19-2010, 08:47 AM
That was a strange article. Just seemed like some random guy talking about the "feel and lightness" of his racquet.

Gee
07-19-2010, 09:23 AM
Nice story. :)

Rabbit
07-19-2010, 09:37 AM
"A warped green Spaulding" was his racquet when he "first started playing tennis SERIOUSLY." Not sure Volkl wants this sort of endorsement.

I'm with you.

Bhagi Katbamna
07-19-2010, 12:24 PM
Did you read this part:
"Since abandoning all other racquets and playing tournaments with strictly the Volkl Tour 8 I have won a dozen 35s and singles tournaments and achieved a top 10 Eastern 35s ranking. I went to nationals at 4.0 in 2006."

I'd say that's a good endorsement.

Don S
07-19-2010, 12:47 PM
I've been inside Tennis Outlet in Hackensack 3 times. Not impressed with the place at all. Too much floor space dedicate to clothing. Ironically, in an article about Volkl racquets, you won't find much of anything Volkl at Tennis Outlet. Can't get Volkl replacement grips there, can't get Yonex Supergrap overgrips there. The only replacement grips they stock are Wilson and Prince. Racquets get about 15 whole feet of wall space (maybe) are limited to the latest Prince, Wilson, Babolat and maybe a few Head and Dunlops but that's about it. Looking for a C10 pro? Nope sorry, maybe you'll find a PB 8 or something. Yonex or Pro Kennex anything? Move along - nothing to see here. If you're a woman looking for a new tennis skirt or top, then you're in luck, you have racks and racks of choices.
For being advertised as " The World's largest Tennis store" I was really disapointed.

tennisnj
07-19-2010, 02:20 PM
Don, I live a few miles from the TO & go in there once in awhile to see what's new in tennis apparel & racquets, & there had been rumors of its demise. EONS ago they had a much larger selection, when the original owners (who happen to be the current owners) first owned the place. When the 'middle' owners took over, they went away from the racquet end & went more & more into apparel (it wasn't until a few years ago you could get Adidas apparel there for example) & focus on some of the more 'boutique' womens apparel lines. Every once in a blue moon I find a used Volkl or Becker racquet that I know they didn't sell to begin with & pick it up for resale.

Don S
07-19-2010, 06:40 PM
Yeah I grew up in Florida so I'm used to tennis shops that have brands other than the big 3 in them.
One of my favorites was Advantage Yours in Clearwater. Racquet Heads over in Tampa is another nice little shop. Both shops carried Pro Kennex frames and that's where I picked up my 5G's. I got my C10 pros and Gen 1 Tour 10 Mids through a little tennis shop in Largo that specializes in Volkl.
There was just a lot more selection and none of those stores were nearly the size of Tennis Outlet. I just was expecting more when I walked into the place. If nothing else, at least stock Yonex Supergrap overgrips.

Capt. Willie
07-19-2010, 07:03 PM

That was a strange article. Just seemed like some random guy talking about the "feel and lightness" of his racquet.

I'm with you.

Agreed. I thought it was bizarre. I first tried the C10 years ago because of seemingly knowledgeable people on the old Talk Tennis board. This guy's account wouldn't make me wanna try a Volkl.

Capt. Willie
07-19-2010, 07:07 PM
Did you read this part:
"Since abandoning all other racquets and playing tournaments with strictly the Volkl Tour 8 I have won a dozen 35s and singles tournaments and achieved a top 10 Eastern 35s ranking. I went to nationals at 4.0 in 2006."

I'd say that's a good endorsement.

Has anyone bothered to look him up? I don't feel like it and need to get to bed soon anyway. For some reason I have doubts about all this. I think he is just trying to get free racquets from Volkl....good luck with that.

Riosfan
07-20-2010, 05:51 AM
The guy is legit, "Mark Malinowski" is the author of the article is ranked #8 right now in Eastern 35s.

atatu
07-20-2010, 07:10 AM
The guy is legit, "Mark Malinowski" is the author of the article is ranked #8 right now in Eastern 35s.

Then he should not have been playing 4.0 as recently as 2006, unless the Eastern 35's really aren't very good.

Riosfan
07-21-2010, 06:06 AM
probably a 4.0 ringer who slipped through the cracks. Lots of ringers in those USTA leagues ya know?

coachrick
07-21-2010, 07:27 AM
Not impressed with the place at all. Too much floor space dedicate to clothing. I If you're a woman looking for a new tennis skirt or top, then you're in luck, you have racks and racks of choices.

It's tough for gear-heads to walk past all that clothing to get to a limited selection of rackets. Having been in the selling end of the business for over three decades, I can tell you there's a LOT more margin on those clothing racks than the racket pegs.

We used to joke that the weekday female league players could spend HUNDREDS of dollars a season on clothing, but had to ask their husbands if it was OK to buy a new racket.

Just the nature of the beast. Fortunately, in Atlanta, most of the large shops carry an extensive racket selection as well as clothing. UNfortunately, that's not the case out here in Austin. :( Can't have everything, I suppose. :)

Don S
07-21-2010, 11:19 AM
^^^^ yup. Thankfully, we've got TW.

morningglory75
07-21-2010, 09:10 PM
There are tons of ringers in the leagues and teams. Ranked Top 10 in the 35's in the East is the real deal. Many of the competitors are ex-players. By playing in the 4.0 division, Scoop is perpetrating a fraud.

Tennis Outlet advertised itself as the largest, because they used to have tons of physical retail stores. However, if you want real racquet service, use the son of the owner, who is estranged, and operates a store in Scarsdale.