PDA

View Full Version : Please read this without laughing...

i.Radical
04-17-2004, 02:07 PM
I am a fairly weak person (physically), however my game and speed are above average. I've recently started doing exercises to help me get stronger, and my problem is, I can barely do 10 pushups :cry: . I was wondering, will I eventually be able to do more and more if I keep doing sets of 10? I wasn't quite sure if 10 was enough to build muscle. Can anybody help me set up a program so I will be able to gradually increase the amount of pushups I can do?

I would really appreciate any help you all can provide. Thanks in advance.

i.Radical
04-17-2004, 02:30 PM
I forgot about a couple more issues:

For a while now, my right arm (shoulder area and elbow area) have been giving me some trouble. It began a couple weeks ago, and at that time the pain was so great I could barely hit a forehand or a serve. As the weeks went by, the pain lessened. I kept playing regularly, even though it hurt, and I did ice it. My elbow is pretty much completely healed, however my shoulder still does hurt now, but I can hit serves comfortably and my forehands are okay, as long as they are low to the ground. The strange thing is that I can't really pinpoint an exact location of where the pain is coming from... Oh yeah, it hurts when I do the tricep stretch where you pull your right elbow across your body with your left arm.

If anybody could please provide a reason and/or solution to this problem it would be greatly appreciated.

Another issue of less importance is weight gain. I could definitely use some more pounds, but no matter how much I eat, it seems I don't gain anything (in fact I sometimes lose). Especially overnight, I seem to have lost 5 pounds in the morning (is there a reason for this?). I eat a decent breakfast, lunch, and dinner, and often times snacks in between.

Please help!

jun
04-17-2004, 02:36 PM
About strength,
initailly it's ok to do 10 push ups if that's your limit. But you want to start adding the repitition as time goes. You can stick to 10 this week, next week 12 etc.

Push up alone isn't enough. So I suggest you do some free weight training as well. Find the weight that you can do 3 sets of 12~15 rep. Gradually add weight (5lb each time or so).

It's hard to tell where your pain comes from..Try to go and see physical therapist. He will do some test and try to find out what's wrong.

Do you have trouble lifting things up as well?

i.Radical
04-17-2004, 03:57 PM
Thanks for the help. No, it does not hurt when I lift things, but it does hurt sometimes if I push against something. I also have trouble putting away some high balls that are too low for an overhead. Also, about the pushups, should I do 10 a day for the first week, and gradually increase the amount each week? Or should I do 2-3 sets of 10 each day?

PHSTennis
04-17-2004, 07:35 PM
My friend hes always in pain, dont know if its an excuse losing to me, I get over my pain, I play in it, I think its your swing, we have problems in that area but im more tolerant, I walked around school for 2 days with a fractured arm... well yeah apply ice and heat, might want to get some brace for the elbow, (starting of tennis elbow). To get stronger... do free weights just go to some store try out the dumbbells get what is like moderate for you, maybe about 25lbs is cool, get about 2 and do as much as you can, dont hurt yourseft by doing too much, but do about 3 sets a day, get foods hign in protien, beef... just eat stuff loaded with all that good stuff rather than eating a lot :P hope this helps

jun
04-17-2004, 11:04 PM
it could be a deltoid area...I am not too sure. I have had similar problem. It used to hurt when I push against heavy doors, and try to grab something that's behind my back (like in the car, i am sitting in front, and trying to get something from backseat)

I suggest you to go see a physical therapist. He will tell you what's wrong. You will have to take 3~4 weeks off completely. I took about 4 weeks off w/o hitting serves, just strokes, but didn't heat as fast. the urge to play tennis will be strong, but I really recommand you to take off as long as it's necessary along with rehab work. It will be worth it.

i.Radical
04-18-2004, 09:30 AM
Thanks for all your replies. Jun, you described my pain exactly. I guess I'm going to have to take a break from tennis!

Thanks again for the help.

jun
04-18-2004, 07:50 PM
depending on severity of injury, it's going to take sometime. But taking time off alone won't help at all from my exeprience.

You need to do rehab, in other words shoulder strengthening exercises.

You want to use lightweight less than 5~6 lb. And raise it forward, laterally, backward, diagonally, etc. Don't lift the weight up higher than level of your shoulder. 10 reps for each exercise. 3~4 times a week. After 2 weeks or so, you can try to do it every day with a higher rep.

Cigo
04-19-2004, 08:30 AM
www.bodybuilders.com

Is a great site and has helped me and many others with body information. It's not only for getting buff, there is plenty of information on how to get stronger, they even have tennis oriented articles and a forum. Good luck

andfor
04-27-2004, 08:17 AM
Have you seen and Orthopedic Doctor yet? If not I'd start there before beginning any strengthening program.

Ronaldo
04-27-2004, 09:23 AM
http://www.bodybuilding.com/teen/lemare14.htm

vin
05-08-2004, 06:48 PM
After you get your shoulder injury sorted out, negative reps are something that will help you get past 10 pushups. When you can't do another push up, start at the top and let your self down to the bottom position as slow as possible. The descent of a pushup works the muscles just as the ascent does (this applies to all resistence exercises).

Good luck with your shoulder, I know first hand how frustrating it can be.

Vin