PDA

View Full Version : Cant decide what to base racquet choice on!!

laff66
07-19-2010, 02:46 PM
I've been demoing tons of racquets to replace my APDC's which I've somehow decided I don't like anymore.
I hit with the Volkl PB9 today at the store on a ball machine and absolutely loved it. I could take a huge swing at it, and drop it w'in a foot of the baseline pretty regularly. Then the store pro came over and started hitting balls at me and everything changed. If I had time to get set up and hit it just right, it was fantastic, but if I was on the run, late, or whatever else, wow I had to REALLY put in some effort to get the ball back effectively. Granted, I was tired from running back and forth and hitting balls non-stop, which probably wouldn't happen often in actual play, but Im having enough trouble choosing already, and now I can't decide what to do.

I'm hoping others may be able to suggest how to properly match a racquet and player - do you want a racquet that lets you hit well when all is perfect, and make do when in a tough position, or try to stay with something that works better in those tough spots and maybe has a little more power than I want for typical groundstokes?

The other variable would be strings. The demo was brand new and had brand new RPM blasts in the mains with some kind of syn gun in the crosses at 57lbs. I could always drop the tension and get a little more power, or look at the PB8, which I think has more power, but I'm not sure.

I run into this with every manufacturer and am hoping I can learn from others experiences, mistakes, choices, regrets, etc.
I'm also looking at Dunlop 3Hundred Tour, BLX Pro Tour, a couple of the Becker racquets, and others.
Thanks for reading this far!!