PDA

View Full Version : is it possible I'm not fun to play with?

jmnk
07-19-2010, 07:31 PM
so I have few self-made rules when I play. (I mean I do not read those or announce to anybody - I just follow them myself when playing.) I wonder if it makes me not fun to play with. We are talking matches with friends and such, not tournaments/leagues. Thoughts?
1. I do care about winning. Either we practice and then we do not keep the score, or we play and the goal is to win.
2. I do not cheat.
3. I do not discuss line calls. I make calls on my side, you make calls on your side. If you question I do not reply, just go back to line to serve or receive.
4. on clay courts I will show you a mark if asked, but I do not appreciate you coming on my side to check it from up close.
5. i do not apologize for net cords, lucky shots, etc. I'm certainly not sorry, in fact if i could i would hit netcord every time.
6. no talking during the match (I do not mind you talking, but it will likely be a monologue). After the match is over i will happily open a bottle or two. And discuss the match then.
7. i do not thank for you complementing me for my shot. i do not complement your shots. i don't expect you to complement me. i just don't care.
8. no replaying points (because you are not sure what the call is). If you are not sure you can ask me. You must accept my call then. If I do not know it's good. Same with my calls. i was not running hard to win a point only to pretend it never happened.
9. whoever lost last time brings new balls.
10. as i play to win i revert to pushing, slicing, lobbing, drop-shots - whatever it takes. If that makes you unhappy - even better.
11. if you showed up I do not care if you are sick, had your leg amputated, went blind, or it's too windy for you. You are here to play.
12. and you better do show up. we are all busy with wife/kids/work and spent five hours rearranging stuff to make a match - you better not call an hour before to tell me that you decided to go to the movies.
13. there's no 'it was really close'. the score shows who was the better player that day.
14. you are free to talk trash to me, throw rackets, scream at yourself - as long as you play next points within 25 seconds.
15. i'm allowed rest time after odd games. If you are ready before me do some exercises.

fed_the_savior
07-19-2010, 07:42 PM
to answer your question, yes it's very possible, but not if you find like-minded people

some of those things are normal, some of them are a little uptight, imo

El Diablo
07-19-2010, 07:44 PM
Yes, you sound like a complete drag, unfamiliar with the concepts of "play" and "game." You might have a short life. (Factor analysis shows that the only part of the type A personality that predicts serious heart disease is unrelenting anger, which your post exudes.) Learn to relax a bit.

jmnk
07-19-2010, 07:46 PM
Yes, you sound like a complete drag, unfamiliar with the concepts of "play" and "game." You might have a short life. (Factor analysis shows that the only part of the type A personality that predicts serious heart disease is unrelenting anger, which your post exudes.) Learn to relax a bit.
perhaps - but I'm pretty relaxed overall. what you mean by "play" and "game" concepts?

fed_the_savior
07-19-2010, 07:55 PM
Here's a more detailed opinion:

1. I do care about winning. Either we practice and then we do not keep the score, or we play and the goal is to win.
2. I do not cheat.
Nothing wrong with these.
3. I do not discuss line calls. I make calls on my side, you make calls on your side. If you question I do not reply, just go back to line to serve or receive.
The "I do not reply" part seems unnecessarily cold. Just mention that you don't like arguing, or something a little less unfriendly.
4. on clay courts I will show you a mark if asked, but I do not appreciate you coming on my side to check it from up close.
"I do not appreciate it." What kind of language is that. Why would you not appreciate someone wanting a correct call, and why does it matter whether you appreciate it.
5. i do not apologize for net cords, lucky shots, etc. I'm certainly not sorry, in fact if i could i would hit netcord every time.
6. no talking during the match. After the match is over i will happily open a bottle or two. And discuss the match then.
7. i do not thank for you complementing me for my shot. i do not complement your shots. i don't expect you to complement me. i just don't care.

These are just a matter of preference. Some people find it a friendly thing, some don't. What really comes across in your list though is your attitude. Is it really necessary to sound so irritated about this stuff?
8. no replaying points. If you are not sure you can ask me. You must accept my call then. If I do not know it's good. Same with my calls. i was not running hard to win a point only to pretend it never happened.
This is only done among very close friends or not very serious players.
You're not playing with the balls as prize money. If both enjoy playing, paying should switch off.
10. as i play to win i revert to pushing, slicing, lobbing, drop-shots - whatever it takes. If that makes you unhappy - even better.
This is irritating for a lot of people, but not unreasonable.
11. if you showed up I do not care if you are sick, had your leg amputated, went blind, or it's too windy for you. You are here to play.
You act like it's a grand slam final.
12. and you better do show up. we are all busy with wife/kids/work and spent five hours rearranging stuff to make a match - you better not call an hour before to tell me that you decided to go to the movies.
This is reasonable.
13. there's no 'it was really close'. the score shows who was the better player that day.
This is just opinion, but I'd think it's only pride that would make someone say something like that. Why can't there be "close" if both players are playing well and score isn't severely lopsided.
14. you are free to talk trash to me, throw rackets, scream at yourself - as long as you play next points within 25 seconds.
This kind of makes it seem like you are taking it a bit too seriously, but at least you don't mind a little free expression.
15. i'm allowed rest time after odd games. If you are ready before me do some exercises.
As long as you don't go over your exact time limit!

r2473
07-19-2010, 07:59 PM
so I have few self-made rules when I play. I wonder if it makes me not fun to play with.

2. I do not cheat.

I have a problem with this one.

pyrokid
07-19-2010, 08:08 PM
Wow, you sound terrible to play with.
Have a little fun with stuff.

You have to understand that, especially during non-tournament matches, the goal is not always just to win. You want to work on incorporating the shots you hit in practice into your game. Improving has to take priority over winning eventually.

And even if none of what I said is true for you, it is for most people, and nobody will want to play with you if you act this cold all the time.

JRstriker12
07-19-2010, 08:13 PM
so I have few self-made rules when I play. I wonder if it makes me not fun to play with. We are talking matches with friends and such, not tournaments/leagues. Thoughts?
2. I do not cheat.
6. no talking during the match. After the match is over i will happily open a bottle or two. And discuss the match then.
8. no replaying points. If you are not sure you can ask me. You must accept my call then. If I do not know it's good. Same with my calls. i was not running hard to win a point only to pretend it never happened.

Agreed, you could loosen up a little bit. I'd be kind of turned off if my hitting parter basically was like - here are my rules for playing tennis....

You are talking about playing with friends. Most friends want a social experience when they hit with another friend. You know, a little chit-chat, a little hitting, some laughs, a few kind words about their game. That doesn't mean that you can't play hard or be competitive, but friendly.

If you want to be all serious and not talk, then play USTA or something where people act all serious.

Some of the stuff you listed is just common courtesy (showing up) and rules as defined by the game (change over, calls, etc.). But everything else, try to has a little sense of humor.

For example, unless you and your friend agree that the loser bring the next can of balls as something that's fun, I'd be kind of turned off by someone who going to try and force me to bring the balls if I lose.

I usually buy a case, so I'm happy to bring balls or bring out my hopper for drills, but most of my hitting partners also bring a can. If anything, I usually bring a can or two and my hitting partner brings a can or two and with both open a can so we have more balls to hit with as a friendly gesture.

I may joke and question a call, but no one takes it as an offense. At the very least, if someone asks, you usually just answer "yes I'm sure" even in a USTA match.

Just my two cents...

RD 7
07-19-2010, 08:33 PM
Let's imagine that you play the longest most dramatic match of your life. Let's further imagine that instead of a hand shake, your opponent wants a hug. Certainly you've seen the pros hug after a hard fought match.

Would you accept a hug? -provided that it was "above board"?

Hot Sauce
07-19-2010, 08:56 PM
What the hell? Why would anyone want to "play" with you?

fed_the_savior
07-19-2010, 09:07 PM
Let's imagine that you play the longest most dramatic match of your life. Let's further imagine that instead of a hand shake, your opponent wants a hug. Certainly you've seen the pros hug after a hard fought match.

Would you accept a hug? -provided that it was "above board"?

how bout some of this:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/olympics/images/attachement/jpg/site1/20080817/0013729c05180a113ff72a.jpg

OrangeOne
07-19-2010, 09:22 PM
I reckon you'd be about as much fun to hit with as your ideal practice partner....

http://www.pmagencies.com.au/images/Schiller-Hit-Up-Wall.jpg

Actually, no, that's unfair to walls, they're much less arrogant and obtuse...

tennisdad65
07-19-2010, 09:27 PM
It is entirely possible, especially if you insist of reading out all 15 rules to your opponent before you'll start playing :)

ramseszerg
07-19-2010, 09:49 PM
Hi Ms Angela Martin?

rogerowns
07-19-2010, 09:57 PM
u gotta calm down and play quit being some kind of ruler of the court

norbac
07-19-2010, 10:04 PM
There can be only one!!!
http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo114/TheRedFather/The%20Best/Highlander.jpg

GetBetterer
07-19-2010, 10:10 PM
jmnk:

Get rid of those. There you go.

To me, you seem like this guy:
http://www.pollsb.com/photos/o/119086-illinois_governor_rod_blagojevich_corrupt_man_amer ica_date.jpg

I know...that's a low blow.

OKUSA
07-19-2010, 10:35 PM
I guess if that's how you go about your business, then I hope your friends can cope with it. I wouldn't, I have to tell myself to shut up when I'm playing with my friends.

jmnk
07-19-2010, 10:39 PM
thanks for all replies. Just to clarify. I certainly do not read or announce those rules. These are just for me. And yes - hugging is entirely acceptable as it is after the match.
about
####
<<4. on clay courts I will show you a mark if asked, but I do not appreciate you coming on my side to check it from up close.>>
"I do not appreciate it." What kind of language is that. Why would you not appreciate someone wanting a correct call, and why does it matter whether you appreciate it.
####
I mean if my opponent questions my call and asks for a mark I will point to it. But if he proceeds to my side of the court to see it from up close - that is just against the rules. So while I'm not going to warn him I'll let him know it is not appreciated.
about 'calming down'. I'm really quite calm. In fact I show no emotions at all, winning, losing or otherwise.
about 'it's not always about winning'. What I'm trying to say is that I just do not like when we play hard for 2.5 hours, I edge a close victory, and the opponent tells me -' yah, but I was really just trying to work on my weaker backhand shot. If i was playing my best it would be a different story.' You know - you should have told me that 2 hours ago when it was 2:1 in the first set.
about 'not discussing line calls' - I just do not see the point of it. I make calls how I see it, if I'm not sure it's your point, why discuss it any further? Am I supposed to change it because you think you saw it better from your baseline while I was two feet from the ball? i mean I'll say "I'm sure" once, but that will be the end of it.
about wall reference - there might be something to it. You are assured of getting a workout.
about Blagojevich reference - that's cold :)

fed_the_savior
07-19-2010, 10:46 PM
thanks for all replies. Just to clarify. I certainly do not read or announce those rules. These are just for me. And yes - hugging is entirely acceptable as it is after the match.
about
####
<<4. on clay courts I will show you a mark if asked, but I do not appreciate you coming on my side to check it from up close.>>
####
I mean if my opponent questions my call and asks for a mark I will point to it. But if he proceeds to my side of the court to see it from up close - that is just against the rules. So while I'm not going to warn him I'll let him know it is not appreciated.
Don't use the word "appreciate," just explain the rules. A lot of your points seem to be simply about keeping the rules, it is handy to have a copy of them if you play a lot of people that don't know them.

pabletion
07-19-2010, 10:48 PM
you should play as many tournaments as you possibly can, I mean, there you play to win and not have to socialize at all with your opponent.

I dont see why you cant play seriously to win and not have fun and let your opponent enjoy himself and actually want to play you again.

I never play for just kicks and giggles, I take it seriously, but not even close as you do. Life is short, enjoy and be gratefull that you even have the possibility of playing tennis.

Figjam
07-19-2010, 11:17 PM
um you sound like an Ahole and I wouldnt bother to play with you, infact I hate playing guys like that in a real match.
sure you want to win, but really why are you here?? there should be some fun, if you suck all the fun out, im going home and take a nap

ProgressoR
07-19-2010, 11:30 PM
I would play you if you juggle oranges at intervals, and let me use your jacuzzi afterwards.

jmnk
07-19-2010, 11:31 PM
after reading responses I must ask - exactly which part of my behavior 'sucks the fun out of playing?' I play hard, I do not make any excuses, I'll give you all the credit if you win whether you hit hard, or smart, or push, or whatever.
Is complementing someone's game that important? Is it not talking during the match? Can't we wait with this chit-chatting until after the match?

Figjam
07-19-2010, 11:36 PM
acting like a cold hardass, makes for no fun. if its not a sanctioned match of some sort, its practice/fun.
face it you suck and have no personability.

you just put out a sucky vibe, and NO ONE enjoys that.

jmnk
07-19-2010, 11:42 PM
acting like a cold hardass, makes for no fun. if its not a sanctioned match of some sort, its practice/fun.
face it you suck and have no personability.

you just put out a sucky vibe, and NO ONE enjoys that.
all of the above may very well be true. Although I'm not sure why there should be a difference between a sanctioned match and a non-sanctioned one. Practice is different - but when we keep the score it's a match, whether it goes on tennislink or not.

RD 7
07-20-2010, 12:15 AM
how bout some of this:
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/olympics/images/attachement/jpg/site1/20080817/0013729c05180a113ff72a.jpg

Exactly. Something that says "The match is over and it's time for us to re-connect as friends."

mikeler
07-20-2010, 05:47 AM
about
####
####
about 'calming down'. I'm really quite calm. In fact I show no emotions at all, winning, losing or otherwise.
about 'it's not always about winning'. What I'm trying to say is that I just do not like when we play hard for 2.5 hours, I edge a close victory, and the opponent tells me -' yah, but I was really just trying to work on my weaker backhand shot. If i was playing my best it would be a different story.' You know - you should have told me that 2 hours ago when it was 2:1 in the first set.
about 'not discussing line calls' - I just do not see the point of it. I make calls how I see it, if I'm not sure it's your point, why discuss it any further? Am I supposed to change it because you think you saw it better from your baseline while I was two feet from the ball? i mean I'll say "I'm sure" once, but that will be the end of it.
about wall reference - there might be something to it. You are assured of getting a workout.
about Blagojevich reference - that's cold :)

I believe it is against The Code.

120mphBodyServe
07-20-2010, 05:57 AM
I want to hit you with a frypan already.
Pray to whatever deity you worship that you never get to play me.
Oh and I hope you take up martial arts, I'm sure you'll make lots of friends there who will enjoy bruising you.

brad1730
07-20-2010, 06:07 AM
I think you already know the answer, but were looking for some kind of justification/support from online posters. You received a lot of negative feedback instead - because we have all played someone like you and (speaking for myself) have not enjoyed it. I have things that annoy me on court too, but I don't get bent out of shape about it. The last guy I played had to yell "NO", "OUT", "SECOND SERVE" - like I couldn't get it the first time. Part of playing and enjoying tennis is realizing that it's about getting a little exercise and having fun. If you want to be ultra-competitive, then play with a pro or sign up for tournaments.

albino smurf
07-20-2010, 06:33 AM
Just socialize a little and all of the rest is no biggie unless you are tryiong to go pro and playing high ranked people. If then be prepared for a lonely time on the tour, but good luck to you.

PimpMyGame
07-20-2010, 06:51 AM
I'm softer than you on rules 5,6 and 7. And if you can cope with that, I'd happily give you a game anytime we are close by. Anyone who'll sit down and have a beer with me after the match is fine in my book.

Falloutjr
07-20-2010, 07:02 AM
so I have few self-made rules when I play. I wonder if it makes me not fun to play with. We are talking matches with friends and such, not tournaments/leagues. Thoughts?
2. I do not cheat.

Not the first guy I'd call, that's for sure.

ronalditop
07-20-2010, 07:18 AM
after reading responses I must ask - exactly which part of my behavior 'sucks the fun out of playing?' I play hard, I do not make any excuses, I'll give you all the credit if you win whether you hit hard, or smart, or push, or whatever.
Is complementing someone's game that important? Is it not talking during the match? Can't we wait with this chit-chatting until after the match?

This is the part that really bugs me. If I were playing somebody that acted like that, I would never play with him again period.

Sentinel
07-20-2010, 07:35 AM
not just possible , absolutely certain.

lighten up, life's short.

jmverdugo
07-20-2010, 08:28 AM
If people keep calling you to play then you are fun to play with. I used to think I was not funny to play with, i will not elaborate about the reasons of this ;), but I always have someone to play everyday of the week and usually get more than a couple of calls from people asking me to play, so maybe I am not that bad.

AlpineCadet
07-20-2010, 08:34 AM
You want to improve, we understand!

baseline_monster
07-20-2010, 09:01 AM
If you allow your self, and other allow you to act like this, you are going to get a huge surprise in tournaments dude. If you acted like this if I was playing you, I would not be happy

jmnk
07-20-2010, 09:39 AM
I think you already know the answer, but were looking for some kind of justification/support from online posters. You received a lot of negative feedback instead - because we have all played someone like you and (speaking for myself) have not enjoyed it. I have things that annoy me on court too, but I don't get bent out of shape about it. The last guy I played had to yell "NO", "OUT", "SECOND SERVE" - like I couldn't get it the first time. Part of playing and enjoying tennis is realizing that it's about getting a little exercise and having fun. If you want to be ultra-competitive, then play with a pro or sign up for tournaments.
The thing is that I do not care what my opponent does as long as it is within rules. So I actually do not get annoyed at all. I guess I'm surprised that so many would get annoyed by me not trying to get more social during the match.

Just socialize a little and all of the rest is no biggie unless you are tryiong to go pro and playing high ranked people. If then be prepared for a lonely time on the tour, but good luck to you.
oh no, there's no pro for me. I'm way too old. like 'my kids are old enough and may go pro in something' old.

I'm softer than you on rules 5,6 and 7. And if you can cope with that, I'd happily give you a game anytime we are close by. Anyone who'll sit down and have a beer with me after the match is fine in my book.
thanks for lone support voice :)

This is the part that really bugs me (it was about me not wanting to discuss line calls). If I were playing somebody that acted like that, I would never play with him again period.
that is really surprising to me. It looks like people find it offensive that I do not want to discuss line calls - but at the same time they feel it is OK to question calls. I mean if you question my calls, repeatedly, isn't it sort of hinting that I cheat? Isn't it more offensive than me just not wanting to discuss it?

If people keep calling you to play then you are fun to play with. I used to think I was not funny to play with, i will not elaborate about the reasons of this ;), but I always have someone to play everyday of the week and usually get more than a couple of calls from people asking me to play, so maybe I am not that bad.
I do not really have any problems trying to get a match.

You want to improve, we understand! I sure do. Maybe I'm a bit too serious about it?

If you allow your self, and other allow you to act like this, you are going to get a huge surprise in tournaments dude. If you acted like this if I was playing you, I would not be happyThat has not been really the case. Haven't noticed any major issues in the tournaments.

two additional points (I suppose I want to elaborate on my reasoning).
1) I see I could be more social during the match, complement you on the shot, etc. On the other hand, if I do not want to, is that such a big deal of the match experience? We can go to the bar after, can't we?
2) not apologizing for net cords. That is my conscious choice. For two reasons.
a) if you are really sorry for hitting netcord and winning a point that way, like sorry in the sense that you would happily 'undo' it if you could - how about losing next point on purpose? I've never seen anybody do that. Which means that saying 'sorry' is just an empty gesture. So I just don't apologize because nobody truly means it. Makes more sense to me. At least I do not pretend.
b) if I'm expected to apologize for winning a point via a netcord why don't you apologize when I hit (almost) a clean winner off an easy ball that happens to catch the cord and falls out of bounds (or gives you an easy winner) so you win a point? I mean --you-- got lucky, no? I've never seen that one either.

AlpineCadet
07-20-2010, 09:43 AM
People apologize after hitting the net cord because they didn't earn it, they just got lucky. Just like when your opponent attempts to drop shot you and hits the tape, but the ball somehow rolls over instead. Sorry!

But don't worry about it, I'm sure you'll find enough players to hit with regularly if you join a League or something :)

jmnk
07-20-2010, 09:51 AM
People apologize after hitting the net cord because they didn't earn it, they just got lucky. Just like when your opponent attempts to drop shot you and hits the tape, but the ball somehow rolls over instead. Sorry!

yes I get that. But if I have a clean winner off an easy ball that happens to catch the net and falls out - he got lucky, he won a point although he did not earn it. But he doesn't say sorry, ever, does he? What's the difference?

AlpineCadet
07-20-2010, 10:06 AM
He didn't touch the ball or put effort into making it clip the net, why should he even think about apologizing for your mistake? *If you get it, you get it. If not, happy tennis with your fwends!

Dedans Penthouse
07-20-2010, 10:10 AM
I want to hit you with a frypan already.
120mpgBodyServe:
For this I'd suggest a full-western forehand grip since it squares the hitting surface a full 90 degrees to your intended target at contact and imho provides the best wrist support, especially if you're swinging a weighted cast iron model.

Let's take a look at some examples:

Example One:
http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ieqsyxnYlNo/R--PBmBqrII/AAAAAAAABaw/BT1R7KWmhUE/s320/mavis.jpg
1. Here we have an obviously drunken Helga Tittsbottom (Nicole Vaidisova's aunt) taking a swing at Radek Stepanek's father during the wedding rehersal dinner. While I like Helga extending her left arm for balance, her keen focus on her target and the raised pan position, I do not like the extended thumb nor the Continental grip which prevents her from hitting him flush with the broadside of the pan's surface without exaggerating (forcing) forearm pronation which compromises the wrist's "locked-in" stability during contact.

Example Two:
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_y-i0U-Zv8jY/RpaK5kgWB-I/AAAAAAAAACg/HQBhiYcqg_0/s400/fryingpan.jpg
2. Here we have Tommy Haas (while getting in touch with his feminine side) shifting more towards a western than Helga T. in the previous photo but I'd like to see him go a little further "west" and eliminate that confounded 'floating' thumb that Helga employs not to mention the extended index finger: good for control on the serve, but I'd much prefer using a Boris Becker-like "hammer" grip when clocking the OP, 120mpgBodSrv. Haas' hand position would be suitable for cracking his target with the EDGE of the pan but that (imho) would not compare to the satisfaction one gets when delivering a "flat-surface" blow to the head.....oh and that lovely pan "BONGGG!" resonance at contact!

Example Three:
http://a.espncdn.com/photo/2008/0708/pg2_roddick_300.jpg
Finally, here's another example of why anything less than a full-western just doesn't seem to cut it.

ask yourself this question: when have you ever heard of a SEMI-western omlet?

OP: FIFTEEN "do's and don'ts" in your opening post? That seems a tad obsessive (with a side order of 'anger'), but in your defense I concur that crossing over the net to the other side of the court to check a mark (on clay) is a total Guido no-no and if I'm not mistaken something that's subject to a default-on-the-spot?

Back to thread topic:
"Is it possible I'm not fun to play with?

Only you can answer that. Why not play with yourself a couple 'o times and decide.

http://www.drumpumps.com/ProductImages/Cistern.jpg

jmnk
07-20-2010, 10:13 AM
true. But it seems the premise is to say sorry because one got lucky. Regardless of who put an effort, or who touched the ball last.

Slazenger07
07-20-2010, 10:14 AM
Lame.............

AlpineCadet
07-20-2010, 10:15 AM
true.

But it seems the premise is to say sorry because one got lucky. Regardless of who put an effort, or who touched the ball last.

Now I know why you're not fun to play with. :) I'mma hit the highway now.

Dedans Penthouse
07-20-2010, 10:53 AM
Lame.............
Sorry, only intended to poke fun at a dour drag of a thread.....

pabletion
07-20-2010, 10:54 AM
yes I get that. But if I have a clean winner off an easy ball that happens to catch the net and falls out - he got lucky, he won a point although he did not earn it. But he doesn't say sorry, ever, does he? What's the difference?

I see your point, but does it hurt to just raise your hand for half a second? I mean, I really dont care if my opponent doesnt do it, its part of the game, it can happen to me as it can happen to my adversary, but still it doesnt hurt, its like releasing the tension for a bit. On a very close match, after a long hard fought point, I know I get frustrated if out of nowhere a let chord allows the ball to just drop on my end and the point ends like that. But to each its own, I dont mind if you dont say sorry or do anything, I just do it.

Nothing wrong with being competitive and wanting to win, I love that, but at least on my part, Im not making a living outta tennis, I play for fun and sport also, its more fun to be able to, after a suffering a ripping parallel passing shot that leaves me just staring, tell my opponent: "nice shot you ugly son of a b....." and give him a smile. But like someone said, if you have no problems getting a match, then why bother wondering, it means you are fun to play with, I know I wouldnt mind beating the hell outta you one bit ;)

Slazenger07
07-20-2010, 11:27 AM
Sorry, only intended to poke fun at a dour drag of a thread.....

lol. I wasnt talking about you! I was talking about the OP. That guy would be really lame to play with. He's got to know he is too because Im sure most people that play with him do not take to all of his rules. Does he feel like he as to be a hard-*** to get under people's skin or what?

jmnk
07-20-2010, 11:37 AM
[...]That guy would be really lame to play with. He's got to know he is too because Im sure most people that play with him do not take to all of his rules. Does he feel like he as to be a hard-*** to get under people's skin or what?
that is not entirely the case. Most, if not all, of these 'rules' is something that only I have control over. For example - you can argue calls whatever you want, I just will not engage in the discussion. And it really does not bother me if you do argue - you will be just talking to yourself. Same with complementing shots - you can comment on mine, nothing wrong with that, but you can't make me say anything about your shots. So in essence the opponent has very little to do with these rules, it's hard for him 'not take to all of his rules' as you stated it.

Figjam
07-20-2010, 12:13 PM
ok dude, just face it your one of "those guys" and NO, none has "FUN" playing you.
the mere fact alone that you keep trying to rationalize it, speaks volumes....
now shut up.

JRstriker12
07-20-2010, 12:28 PM
The op should have started a "do these pants make me look fat?" thread.

Just like when that question gets asked, the person asking the question knows the answer, they are just hoping that they get the response they want to hear instead of other's honest opinions.

The fact that you have to argue that you are fun to play or that your rules are reasonable (some are, some aren't) and do not make you less fun to play, basically means that you are probably not fun to play (IMHO).

Go out, play tennis and have fun. If after a tough and competitve match, your hitting partner says "Good hit, when can you play again?" or "Call me up next week for a hit," then you don't have to wonder if you're fun to play against - you got your answer.

If the last few friends that you hit with haven't called you back recently - then you have your answer. Probably not.

jmnk
07-20-2010, 12:35 PM
ok dude, just face it your one of "those guys" and NO, none has "FUN" playing you.
the mere fact alone that you keep trying to rationalize it, speaks volumes....
now shut up.
I appreciate you input. I do believe I'm allowed to post in the thread I have started.

Figjam
07-20-2010, 12:42 PM
the more you talk, the bigger the hole you dig, its wise to to know when to keep your mouth shut and backaway slowly.

jswinf
07-20-2010, 01:33 PM
OP, I don't think you're all that bad. I'd play with you. But I wonder if you might be 1) an attorney, and/or 2) a retired KGB hit man. If #2, I'd agree it wouldn't be a good idea to "discuss" line calls with you.

decades
07-20-2010, 01:35 PM
I think you're a barrel of monkeys...

fed_the_savior
07-20-2010, 01:46 PM
OP, I don't think you're all that bad. I'd play with you. But I wonder if you might be 1) an attorney, and/or 2) a retired KGB hit man. If #2, I'd agree it wouldn't be a good idea to "discuss" line calls with you.

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/public/style_emoticons/default/laughing.gif

r2473
07-20-2010, 02:02 PM

1. NO SOUP FOR YOU

I don't see any problems :razz:

http://lastrow.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/soup.jpg

jmnk
07-20-2010, 02:48 PM

this episode actually made me think of these rules years back...... Excellent catch.:)

jmnk
07-20-2010, 02:50 PM
neither, but I do like to argue. I also like to have rationale for everything.

OrangeOne
07-20-2010, 02:58 PM
Anyone who'll sit down and have a beer with me after the match is fine in my book.

With respect, that's a Logical fail. There are people I've played who might want to have that beer, who have behaved so deplorably that there's no way I'd want it!

Not the first guy I'd call, that's for sure.

Seconded.

If people keep calling you to play then you are fun to play with.

Another logical fail. I used to train weekly with someone - for 3 hours at a time - who was not 'fun to play with'. They were just, as it happened, exactly my standard, and available for 3 hour, hard hit-outs, and that made them a perfect hitting partner for me, I just ignored some of the crap.

If you allow your self, and other allow you to act like this, you are going to get a huge surprise in tournaments dude.

In fact, you're right, with some of those stances he'd indeed cop a tough time in tournaments from opponents.

OrangeOne
07-20-2010, 03:02 PM
Just posted another thread similar to this - based on an article in today's paper.

Interestingly, the unwritten rules there are all about sportsmanship, not about being, well, hard & boring.

Unwritten Rules of Sport (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=339381)

GetBetterer
07-20-2010, 03:24 PM
jmnk:
I do like to argue.

The reason you're possibly not fun to play with.

jmverdugo
07-20-2010, 04:16 PM
Another logical fail. I used to train weekly with someone - for 3 hours at a time - who was not 'fun to play with'. They were just, as it happened, exactly my standard, and available for 3 hour, hard hit-outs, and that made them a perfect hitting partner for me, I just ignored some of the crap.

In my opinion it is not a logical fail, in fact your post is a very good example. Even though your partner has some bad things it is still fun to play with him because the good things are more (and more important for you), so you still play with him, I honestly think that if you were not having ANY fun at all you wouldn't be playing with him. What I mean is that - for me - a person can have good things and bad things and as long as the good things are more than the bad things, you can still hang out with that person, same thing with a tennis partner. Another example, I have a tennis partner that is always late, is slow going for the balls on the court, is always complaining about the weather or the strings or the racquet or whatever, but he has a very good game and I enjoy paying with him, so I tolerate the bad things because I enjoy playing with him. Also I have 2 tennis partners that are basically pusher and it is really annoying to play with them, but they are good friends and I take that time to train against pusher - so I still get some fun playing with them. I used to have a tennis partner that had a very nice game, flat stroke, slices, topspin, volleys, etc and I loved playing with him but he has a problem with the calls and sometimes it was unbearable so one day I decided not to play more with that person, the bad things were more than the good things.

So IMO FUN= good level and/or good friend and/or good sportmanship. If bad things are more than the good things the there is no FUN anymore.

pmerk34
07-20-2010, 05:31 PM
2. I do not cheat.

Only 3.0 players have all these little rules. As a 5.5 player I'd never waste my time with you

Falloutjr
07-20-2010, 06:02 PM
1. I do care about winning. Either we practice and then we do not keep the score, or we play and the goal is to win.Okay.
2. I do not cheat. Good.
4. on clay courts I will show you a mark if asked, but I do not appreciate you coming on my side to check it from up close.Would you let them come onto your side to see it?
5. i do not apologize for net cords, lucky shots, etc. I'm certainly not sorry, in fact if i could i would hit netcord every time.Just because you take the point doesn't mean you can't be sorry. I always apologize on net shots because it was luck. I don't give the point away, but I at least apologize.
6. no talking during the match. After the match is over i will happily open a bottle or two. And discuss the match then.It's a tennis match, not Watergate. Your match is not of such great importance that you can't be sociable. This is one of the ones that rubbed me the wrong way the most.
7. i do not thank for you complementing me for my shot. i do not complement your shots. i don't expect you to complement me. i just don't care.Well I prefer to complement someone if they hit a very nice shot, at least clap my racquet. I can appreciate when someone hits a great shot.
8. no replaying points. If you are not sure you can ask me. You must accept my call then. If I do not know it's good. Same with my calls. i was not running hard to win a point only to pretend it never happened.What if someone else's ball rolls on the court? The least you can do is let your opponent call a let in this situation or one which interferes with the court of play outside of wind.
9. whoever lost last time brings new balls.That's fair if it's agreed upon
10. as i play to win i revert to pushing, slicing, lobbing, drop-shots - whatever it takes. If that makes you unhappy - even better.Don't have much problem with this one.
11. if you showed up I do not care if you are sick, had your leg amputated, went blind, or it's too windy for you. You are here to play.Sure, but if the wind REALLY starts to gust up, I have no problem waiting for it to slow down before you serve, and hope you would grant me the same courtesy.
12. and you better do show up. we are all busy with wife/kids/work and spent five hours rearranging stuff to make a match - you better not call an hour before to tell me that you decided to go to the movies.Yeah, that would be a pretty rude thing to do, I can understand this one.
13. there's no 'it was really close'. the score shows who was the better player that day.It CAN be really close. I would not hesitate to call a match close if it was. I've both won and lost close matches in my life.
14. you are free to talk trash to me, throw rackets, scream at yourself - as long as you play next points within 25 seconds.Okay.
15. i'm allowed rest time after odd games. If you are ready before me do some exercises.Everyone takes a drink between games, as long as you aren't being slow about it (more than 2 minutes).

You're not a bad guy from what I can tell, I think you just need to loosen up. If you're just meeting a friend up at the park, don't be so uptight about everything. Relax, and have fun :D Tennis is competition, but you don't have to be anal about it.

OrangeOne
07-20-2010, 06:37 PM
In my opinion it is not a logical fail, in fact your post is a very good example. Even though your partner has some bad things it is still fun to play with him because the good things are more (and more important for you), so you still play with him, I honestly think that if you were not having ANY fun at all you wouldn't be playing with him. What I mean is that - for me - a person can have good things and bad things and as long as the good things are more than the bad things, you can still hang out with that person, same thing with a tennis partner. Another example, I have a tennis partner that is always late, is slow going for the balls on the court, is always complaining about the weather or the strings or the racquet or whatever, but he has a very good game and I enjoy paying with him, so I tolerate the bad things because I enjoy playing with him. Also I have 2 tennis partners that are basically pusher and it is really annoying to play with them, but they are good friends and I take that time to train against pusher - so I still get some fun playing with them. I used to have a tennis partner that had a very nice game, flat stroke, slices, topspin, volleys, etc and I loved playing with him but he has a problem with the calls and sometimes it was unbearable so one day I decided not to play more with that person, the bad things were more than the good things.

So IMO FUN= good level and/or good friend and/or good sportmanship. If bad things are more than the good things the there is no FUN anymore.

I know what you're saying, but you're being rather liberal with the definition of 'fun'. It wasn't what I'd call a 'fun' hit, it was what I'd call a 'good/effective/hard' hit.

To me there is a difference between fun and training, and this was training, like choosing to go to a squad or whatever. Training can be fun, it's just that those hits were more effective hard work.

Tennis_Monk
07-20-2010, 07:39 PM
2. I do not cheat.

I go easy when i play with friends. I take the match seriously against most friends but i know some friends come to play with me just so that we can have some fun and spend time. Good part is i know why they come to play and i try to accomodate them-afterall they are my friends and i like their company. Who cares who won or lost.

When i play tournaments or ladders or school or friends who are serious, i play hard and tough. No friendly chit chat, welcome bandwagon , etc. Its all business ;)

Btw i dont mind playing someone that has rules like yours. To me, it sounds like a good opponent where i can just focus on tennis and get down to business.

jmnk
07-20-2010, 10:59 PM
I go easy when i play with friends. I take the match seriously against most friends but i know some friends come to play with me just so that we can have some fun and spend time. Good part is i know why they come to play and i try to accomodate them-afterall they are my friends and i like their company. Who cares who won or lost.

When i play tournaments or ladders or school or friends who are serious, i play hard and tough. No friendly chit chat, welcome bandwagon , etc. Its all business ;)

Btw i dont mind playing someone that has rules like yours. To me, it sounds like a good opponent where i can just focus on tennis and get down to business.
Thanks. This is exactly what I meant. That makes like three of us now, there was another poster that thought these rules were not entirely reprehensible.

jmnk
07-20-2010, 11:04 PM
Only 3.0 players have all these little rules. As a 5.5 player I'd never waste my time with youyou may not want to waste time with me but not because of the rules - I just would not be good enough for you. I do not suck but 5.5 is a tall order. I may ask you for some tips though if you are indeed 5.5 ;-)
However if anything I would say, at least in my limited experience, the better the player the less he cares about stuff like that.

jmnk
07-20-2010, 11:12 PM
[...]
In fact, you're right, with some of those stances he'd indeed cop a tough time in tournaments from opponents.
That one I do not get. I've played few tournaments, and since I play with complete strangers then I really do not mind applying these few rules as they are all within the Code. I just do not see what possibly an opponent could do to so i would 'cop a tough time from him' as you phrased it. Nothing within the rules bothers me, and for anything not within the rules there's an official.

Figjam
07-20-2010, 11:27 PM
you know what, Next time a play a guy like you, im going to make it a POINT to irritate they guy, and try to make him talk, and anytime I hit a net cord, im gonna party, and ask what the score is on EVERY point.
basically im going to break everyone of your little rules every chance I get.

Vermillion
07-20-2010, 11:37 PM
I'd love to "cop a tough time from you." That's right. I'm talking to you, FiggyJammy.

0d1n
07-21-2010, 12:57 AM
It's not only possible, it's actually probable.

Figjam
07-21-2010, 02:01 AM
I'd love to "cop a tough time from you." That's right. I'm talking to you, FiggyJammy.
LOL, what are you gonna do about it?? LOL

PimpMyGame
07-21-2010, 03:17 AM
Anyone who'll sit down and have a beer with me after the match is fine in my book.

With respect, that's a Logical fail. There are people I've played who might want to have that beer, who have behaved so deplorably that there's no way I'd want it!

With respect, you may be doing yourself more damage by not having a beer with that badly behaved person. No point in winding yourself up to the point where you won't have a beer with someone because of their behaviour on a tennis court. Unless you've been physically or verbally abused.

OrangeOne
07-21-2010, 04:17 AM
With respect, you may be doing yourself more damage by not having a beer with that badly behaved person. No point in winding yourself up to the point where you won't have a beer with someone because of their behaviour on a tennis court. Unless you've been physically or verbally abused.

Ahh, fair point, I wrote my last couple of replies quickly here, I should have explained I meant the sort of person who cheats (lines or score) or tries pathetic tactics (denies a hit-up, etc), qualities that are just deplorable.

If someone wants to have a bit of a shout or a racquet toss, ie 'just badly behaved', I'll probably a. get along with them great, and b. buy the first round!

120mphBodyServe
07-21-2010, 04:28 AM
Ahh, fair point, I wrote my last couple of replies quickly here, I should have explained I meant the sort of person who cheats (lines or score) or tries pathetic tactics (denies a hit-up, etc), qualities that are just deplorable.

If someone wants to have a bit of a shout or a racquet toss, ie 'just badly behaved', I'll probably a. get along with them great, and b. buy the first round!

Having read your posts, you don't sound like fun either.
You take yourself and your silly opinions way too seriously.

OrangeOne
07-21-2010, 04:45 AM
That one I do not get. I've played few tournaments, and since I play with complete strangers then I really do not mind applying these few rules as they are all within the Code. I just do not see what possibly an opponent could do to so i would 'cop a tough time from him' as you phrased it. Nothing within the rules bothers me, and for anything not within the rules there's an official.

Cop a tough time is poor, rushed phrasing on my part. I guess I mean, I know the sort of player you come across, perhaps you'd just be seen as a bit of an outsider, and have people not look forward to playing you, maybe even be a bit annoyed by playing you.

On a re-read, yeah, sure, it's all covered by the code. That said, I think the code would encourage at least a reply if someone questions something, even if the reply is simply that the ball was indeed out, or that you don't want to detail more than that.

I guess, well, it's just all a bit 'ninja warrior' rubbish, if you hadn't have admitted otherwise, I'd have honestly assumed you were a misguided 14 year old. If someone says 'hot day isn't it?' to me at the change of ends, I'll say something back. If someone rips a winner and it should be on a highlight reel (and it's likely I'm the only person that saw it or will ever see it), I'll applaud the tennis.

I like the sport. I like the competition. I like most of the people I meet, and I like people far more than I like anything on earth, including the sport and the competition. I want to enjoy this life, and enjoy it with people.

I don't think I'd like to see what you do when your rules are broken. Do you just ignore the person if they try and speak, or do you quote a rule at them? what if they get ready early for the next game after changing ends - do you stare at your watch? I guess I'm thinking two things here - a. how do your rules impact your interactions with others, and b. how do your rules affect your own focus?

This is mostly rhetorical, I don't really care one way or the other. I have living to do!

OrangeOne
07-21-2010, 04:57 AM
Having read your posts, you don't sound like fun either.
You take yourself and your silly opinions way too seriously.

Thanks for your considered feedback in regards to my (admittedly unwritten, even unissued) request for your thoughts on me, my posts and my opinions.

I'll be sure to work hard to better suit your needs.

ProgressoR
07-21-2010, 04:59 AM
Thanks for your considered feedback in regards to my (admittedly unwritten, even unissued) request for your thoughts on me, my posts and my opinions.

I'll be sure to work hard to better suit your needs.

perhaps you should post a 10 point plan on how you will go about this, otherwise you could be just saying it without really meaning it.

OrangeOne
07-21-2010, 05:12 AM
perhaps you should post a 10 point plan on how you will go about this, otherwise you could be just saying it without really meaning it.

http://www.sds-group.co.uk/fm/images/ten-point-plan.png

^^ My plan looks like the above, but focuses (as requested) on the seeming dichotomous opposites of me now having serious, not silly opinions and taking myself silly-ly, not seriously. It does, however, still include "6. Scan your documents", because that just makes good sense, like wearing clean underwear, and not making rapid progress whilst transporting scissors on one's person.

jmnk
07-21-2010, 08:32 AM
Cop a tough time is poor, rushed phrasing on my part. I guess I mean, I know the sort of player you come across, perhaps you'd just be seen as a bit of an outsider, and have people not look forward to playing you, maybe even be a bit annoyed by playing you.

On a re-read, yeah, sure, it's all covered by the code. That said, I think the code would encourage at least a reply if someone questions something, even if the reply is simply that the ball was indeed out, or that you don't want to detail more than that.yes, I will reply once, or maybe two times. But I'm not going to go into 'are you sure?' "are you really sure?" "It looked good from from my baseline" (while I was 12 inches from where the ball landed), or discuss it 5 times when we've played 6 points.

I guess, well, it's just all a bit 'ninja warrior' rubbish, if you hadn't have admitted otherwise, I'd have honestly assumed you were a misguided 14 year old. If someone says 'hot day isn't it?' to me at the change of ends, I'll say something back. If someone rips a winner and it should be on a highlight reel (and it's likely I'm the only person that saw it or will ever see it), I'll applaud the tennis. The point I'm trying to make is that people tend to be very talkative when leading 2:1 in the first set, they are basically best buddies at 4:1, start talking less at 4:5 and by the time they are down a set and 2:4 in the second they only talk about 'it's too hot', "i've injured my wrist two days ago and it is not healed", " I really hate playing in windy conditions" - you see the pattern. So I'm thinking, I'm just not going to talk at all, at least it will be consistent throughout.

I don't think I'd like to see what you do when your rules are broken. Do you just ignore the person if they try and speak, or do you quote a rule at them? I never quote the rules, but it is not that hard to make it clear I'm not much of a chatter.
what if they get ready early for the next game after changing ends - do you stare at your watch?
no, but I will not allow him to rush me. I do not care if he is on the baseline already while I'm changing overgrip.
I guess I'm thinking two things here - a. how do your rules impact your interactions with others, and b. how do your rules affect your own focus?
a. that's what I wonder. I suppose I come across as a bit too serious about tennis
b. it helps. I behave the same wining or losing, playing a friend or a complete stranger.

r2473
07-21-2010, 09:09 AM
I behave the same wining or losing, playing a friend or a complete stranger.

I find it easier to simply adapt to my opponents style (especially if it is a friendly match). If they like to chat, I chat. If they prefer to stay quiet, quiet is fine too (and so on).

I have to imagine that if you go into each match with "hard and fast rules of conduct" you are often frustrated. Whether or not you outwardly show your frustration (either in an openly aggressive manner, passive aggressive manner, or something in between), only you know.

Dedans Penthouse
07-21-2010, 12:40 PM

Your timing is uncanny. The local news here in NY announced that the "Soup ****" joint that served as the inspiration in Seinfeld just reopened on 55th St. this past Tuesday.

on-topic (er, sort of):

OP, not that it's any of my beeswax but if getting so bogged down in tennis minutia before you even hit a ball in any indication, I can only imagine what "foreplay" must be like for your poor, beleagured girlfriend:

#1. Partner must not be over 130 lbs.

#2. Partner must agree to **** **** provided she can **** **** except in cases where I have shown a total inability to attain and/or maintain an ******** at which point partner can ask to be excused. Partner shall be forbidden to express, infer or imply said my inability to attain and/or maintain an ******** to any outside party or parties.

#3. Partner must produce written proof from a Certified Health Facility (CHF) duly registered (DR) with the State Medical Board (SMB) showing current Drug and Disease-free status (DDF) with a notarized Document of Innoculation and Clearance for Kamasutra (DICK).

#4. At the conclusion of any carnal-type engagement, partner shall be subject to provide at my request all of the below, including but not limited to:
-a. an omlet (of my choosing)
-b. an English Muffin (fork cut)
-c. a large mug of Earl Grey tea
-d. gravalax (with fresh dill)
-e. a foot rub
-f. the TV remote

#5. Should carnal relations take place at my domicle, upon partner satisfying the terms and conditions of "#4" (above), I shall be held free of any responsibility for securing transportation for my partner back home, including but not limited to "a lift," taxi cab, bus fare, train (inc. subway), plane, limosine and/or or hellicopter service.

#6. I reserve the right to change positions at my discretion.

#7. I reserve the right to back out at any point of my choosing without any prior notice.

:neutral: ~WHOOPIE~~START THE PARTY~ :neutral:

r2473
07-21-2010, 01:28 PM
^^^

So romatic. Reminds me of Jerry Maguire:

jmnk's girlfriend: "Shut up, just shut up. You had me at "**** ****".

jswinf
07-21-2010, 01:30 PM
^^^That's too good for you to have just posted off the top of your head, sorry. I suspect it's your own document that you keep copies of on hand for use as alleged. Good work if you can get it.

Moose Malloy
07-21-2010, 01:48 PM
The point I'm trying to make is that people tend to be very talkative when leading 2:1 in the first set, they are basically best buddies at 4:1, start talking less at 4:5 and by the time they are down a set and 2:4 in the second they only talk about 'it's too hot', "i've injured my wrist two days ago and it is not healed", " I really hate playing in windy conditions" - you see the pattern. So I'm thinking, I'm just not going to talk at all, at least it will be consistent throughout.

lol, so true. maybe your style is the way to go. we like to think of recreational tennis as being full of people just wanting to have fun, win or lose, but in reality most don't handle losing well at all & resort to stuff like this in order to make themselves feel better, not realizing how silly they come across to their opponent. and age doesn't seem to change this mentality, an adult saying "i injured my wrist 2 days ago" midway through a match isn't really all that different from a 12 year old whining to the other kid that his moonballing is making him play poorly. I've been playing long enough to have similar things happen to me, more than a few times. tennis' rep as a game that exudes 'great sportsmanship' is a little overblown. I'm not sure there is another sport where there is as much whining, excuse making, etc.

jmnk
07-21-2010, 09:58 PM
lol, so true. maybe your style is the way to go. we like to think of recreational tennis as being full of people just wanting to have fun, win or lose, but in reality most don't handle losing well at all & resort to stuff like this in order to make themselves feel better, not realizing how silly they come across to their opponent. and age doesn't seem to change this mentality, an adult saying "i injured my wrist 2 days ago" midway through a match isn't really all that different from a 12 year old whining to the other kid that his moonballing is making him play poorly. I've been playing long enough to have similar things happen to me, more than a few times. tennis' rep as a game that exudes 'great sportsmanship' is a little overblown. I'm not sure there is another sport where there is as much whining, excuse making, etc.
well, yes, exactly.

TennisDawg
07-21-2010, 10:01 PM
neither, but I do like to argue. I also like to have rationale for everything.

Did you learn Tennis practicing with the Taliban? Just reading your rules stresses me out. How about having a little fun playing tennis. Please don't teach children tennis!!

jmnk
07-21-2010, 10:06 PM
Your timing is uncanny. The local news here in NY announced that the "Soup ****" joint that served as the inspiration in Seinfeld just reopened on 55th St. this past Tuesday.

on-topic (er, sort of):

OP, not that it's any of my beeswax but if getting so bogged down in tennis minutia before you even hit a ball in any indication, I can only imagine what "foreplay" must be like for your poor, beleagured girlfriend:

#1. Partner must not be over 130 lbs.

#2. Partner must agree to **** **** provided she can **** **** except in cases where I have shown a total inability to attain and/or maintain an ******** at which point partner can ask to be excused. Partner shall be forbidden to express, infer or imply said my inability to attain and/or maintain an ******** to any outside party or parties.

#3. Partner must produce written proof from a Certified Health Facility (CHF) duly registered (DR) with the State Medical Board (SMB) showing current Drug and Disease-free status (DDF) with a notarized Document of Innoculation and Clearance for Kamasutra (DICK).

#4. At the conclusion of any carnal-type engagement, partner shall be subject to provide at my request all of the below, including but not limited to:
-a. an omlet (of my choosing)
-b. an English Muffin (fork cut)
-c. a large mug of Earl Grey tea
-d. gravalax (with fresh dill)
-e. a foot rub
-f. the TV remote

#5. Should carnal relations take place at my domicle, upon partner satisfying the terms and conditions of "#4" (above), I shall be held free of any responsibility for securing transportation for my partner back home, including but not limited to "a lift," taxi cab, bus fare, train (inc. subway), plane, limosine and/or or hellicopter service.

#6. I reserve the right to change positions at my discretion.

#7. I reserve the right to back out at any point of my choosing without any prior notice.

:neutral: ~WHOOPIE~~START THE PARTY~ :neutral:

that is pretty funny. And it almost makes sense, but admittedly I'm not at that stage yet :). Although to remain on Seinfeld topic - this is along the lines 'calling the next day is optional'....

Now in all seriousness I'm being a bit misunderstood here. I do not think I'm being bogged down with any tennis related minutia. My whole point is that while playing a match I do not care about anything but playing hard. I would say that if anything I'm actually against all this 'compliments, fake apologies, silly talks'. As I've stated many times there's actually nothing that the opponent must do - it's more about him not expecting me to do stuff that is not directly related to playing, plus follow the rules. Can't we just play?

Fifth Set
07-21-2010, 10:10 PM
a. that's what I wonder. I suppose I come across as a bit too serious about tennis

That's what I would focus on. Unless you are truly an outstanding player who can make a living from your tennis, there is no real reason to take it very seriously.

It's a game and a fun way to get some exercise, meet people, etc.

Relax and develop friendships - you will enjoy tennis with those people the most.

jmnk
07-21-2010, 10:18 PM
you know what, Next time a play a guy like you, im going to make it a POINT to irritate they guy, and try to make him talk, and anytime I hit a net cord, im gonna party, and ask what the score is on EVERY point.
basically im going to break everyone of your little rules every chance I get.
feel free. Although you really can't. You can --try-- to make someone like that talk, not likely to happen. You partying after hitting netcord - I could really care less, at least you are being honest, asking for a score is well within the rules and I would happily tell you what the score is (if I'm serving that is).

OrangeOne
07-21-2010, 10:42 PM
feel free. Although you really can't. You can --try-- to make someone like that talk, not likely to happen. You partying after hitting netcord - I could really care less, at least you are being honest, asking for a score is well within the rules and I would happily tell you what the score is (if I'm serving that is).

^^ Again with the pettiness. If my opponent is serving and he's either not sure or has lost track - I'll certainly tell him, as I'm keeping track of it as well.

I'll bite, what do you do if you're not serving and you're asked?

SirGounder
07-21-2010, 11:09 PM
Haha you sound like this guy on a fishing forum. He listed all this ground rules for any potential fishing buddy.

Honestly those rules are relatively reasonable for more competitive play but a bit harsh amongst friends.

ProgressoR
07-21-2010, 11:45 PM
Haha you sound like this guy on a fishing forum. He listed all this ground rules for any potential fishing buddy.

Honestly those rules are relatively reasonable for more competitive play but a bit harsh amongst friends.

Don't think OP has to worry about that.

Sentinel
07-22-2010, 12:27 AM
^^^That's too good for you to have just posted off the top of your head, sorry. I suspect it's your own document that you keep copies of on hand for use as alleged. Good work if you can get it.
I assure you, Prof Dedan's shoots er posts off the top of his head only.
Funny as ever, except that I've missed out on all the "xxxx"'s.

0d1n
07-22-2010, 12:48 AM
yes, I will reply once, or maybe two times. But I'm not going to go into 'are you sure?' "are you really sure?" "It looked good from from my baseline" (while I was 12 inches from where the ball landed), or discuss it 5 times when we've played 6 points.

The point I'm trying to make is that people tend to be very talkative when leading 2:1 in the first set, they are basically best buddies at 4:1, start talking less at 4:5 and by the time they are down a set and 2:4 in the second they only talk about 'it's too hot', "i've injured my wrist two days ago and it is not healed", " I really hate playing in windy conditions" - you see the pattern. So I'm thinking, I'm just not going to talk at all, at least it will be consistent throughout.
I never quote the rules, but it is not that hard to make it clear I'm not much of a chatter.
no, but I will not allow him to rush me. I do not care if he is on the baseline already while I'm changing overgrip.

b. it helps. I behave the same wining or losing, playing a friend or a complete stranger.

This is oh so true and actually very funny. You may not be hopeless after all... :twisted:.

jmnk
07-22-2010, 11:29 AM
^^ Again with the pettiness. If my opponent is serving and he's either not sure or has lost track - I'll certainly tell him, as I'm keeping track of it as well.

I'll bite, what do you do if you're not serving and you're asked?
oh sorry, I did not read your post properly. I meant if I'm serving I will call the score on my own (this is part of the rules of the Code so I do not consider it talking during play), if I'm receiving I will call the score if asked, sure.