PDA

View Full Version : Pros really using their pro tweener?

ejewels
07-19-2010, 07:34 PM
I have a general question. Do the pros actually use their marketed stick at all? I understand paintjobs, but how "much" of the retail racquet is actually "being used" by these pros?

APD GT - Rafa
APD GT - Tsonga
PDR - Roddick

Seems that most pros use either a true players stick, or certain tweeners? Should the above listed really be considered Tweeners?

ayuname
07-19-2010, 07:47 PM
They're tweeners but the players you have listed have custom specs.

NLBwell
07-19-2010, 09:22 PM
A lot of the women pros.

Dgpsx7
07-19-2010, 09:32 PM
I don't think tsonga is using an APD. I think his stick is heavily and noticeably pjed. I'm pretty sure he uses the same stick that he was using before he switched to babo. If I cared about tsonga or babolat rackets I would probably know for sure.

TennisKid1
07-19-2010, 09:55 PM
Babolat does not make pro stock frames like the other racket companies such as Head and Wilson. The frames are babolat are relatively light stock so I suppose its easy for them to be customized. Tsonga is confirmed to use either APDC or APDCGT. Nadal uses the original APD, while Roddick uses the 2nd gen pure drive

corners
07-20-2010, 03:44 AM
Nadal uses a heavily paintjobbed Pro Staff with custom specs. There's no way a pro like him could use such a powerful frame as the APD and keep the ball in the court.

I mean, half the 14 year-olds on these boards can only use that racquet if they swing at half speed, or string at 98 pounds, otherwise every shot drills the back fence on the fly.

Rafa is much too much of a stud to use a tweener.

(The truth is that Rafa's ultra-modern racquet isn't any more powerful than Roger's 25 year-old Tour 90. Because it has a bigger head it's more forgiving on off-center shots, and because it's lighter (335 grams vs. 365 grams) he might be able to swing it a little faster and get more spin.)

ejewels
07-20-2010, 05:51 AM
Okay, so these pros are in fact using Tweeners, just customized? I take it the prostaff comment for rafa was a joke ;)

corners
07-20-2010, 06:24 AM
Yeah, both French Open champions this year use tweeners. Rafa's got about 6 grams of lead under his bumper and I think Shiavone plays hers stock. Good tweeners have good enough control for grand slam winners, and plenty good enough for us hacks too. It all depends on what you like to play with, what you're used to, and/or what you play best with.