PDA

View Full Version : leather grip or leather grip with overgrip?

flargosa
07-19-2010, 08:09 PM
Do you guys prefer putting an overgrip over your leather grips or play with leather grips only? i really like the added feel leather gives, but not so much the blisters I sometimes get.

Keifers
07-19-2010, 08:23 PM
Where on your hand do you get blisters?

xFullCourtTenniSx
07-19-2010, 08:27 PM
i really like the added feel leather gives, but not so much the blisters I sometimes get.

Which is exactly why I put an overgrip on top...

flargosa
07-19-2010, 08:31 PM
blisters on the upper part of the fingers.

flargosa
07-19-2010, 08:32 PM
Blisters are on the top of fingers.

Jonny S&V
07-19-2010, 08:51 PM
Which is exactly why I put an overgrip on top...

Agreed, Tournagrip is king if you still want that bevel-feel since it's not as cushiony, but it doesn't help much with the hardness of the grip...

flargosa
07-19-2010, 09:11 PM
I'll give tournagrip a try. What is the average lifespan of tournagrip?

Jonny S&V
07-19-2010, 09:12 PM
I'll give tournagrip a try. What is the average lifespan of tournagrip?

You can use both sides of the grip, basically the same thing, so (using both sides) slightly longer than most other grips. Only using one side, slightly shorter than some grips.

flargosa
07-19-2010, 09:16 PM
Ok thanks will be giving tournagrip a try.

Jonny S&V
07-19-2010, 09:18 PM
Ok thanks will be giving tournagrip a try.

Unless you sweat a lot, it most likely won't help your blister problems, just fyi. Tournagrip isn't good for those with dry hands.

mrmo1115
07-19-2010, 09:24 PM
^ Second that and agree with the Tourna grip not working with the dry hands. Me being one with dry hands, I've never ever adapted to Tourna Grip.

I stick to Yonex.

Mr_Shiver
07-19-2010, 09:39 PM
Love the definition and weight of a leather grip. I don't get blisters but it does get slippery when I sweat. If I want some soft and absorbent I go with Tournagrip. If I want tacky and thin I go with Babolat pro tacky. Ever try taping your fingers? My friend had a chronic blister issue and went through every OG he could find. Nothing worked so he started taping them and hasn't had any blisters since.

dadozen
07-19-2010, 09:43 PM
I also can't play with Tournagrip, I don't sweat at all.

Gamma Dermagrip is also a good choice for keeping the bevel feel, if you need something tacky. It stretches enough to keep the bevels defined.

120mphBodyServe
07-19-2010, 09:54 PM
I hate leather grips with a vengeance.

Jim Hendricks
07-20-2010, 03:40 AM
An overgrip with a leather grip. TW leather and Wilson Pro overgrip.

hrstrat57
07-20-2010, 03:45 AM
Do you guys prefer putting an overgrip over your leather grips or play with leather grips only? i really like the added feel leather gives, but not so much the blisters I sometimes get.

No overgrip, the blisters go away just like the way the end of your fingers get tough and hard playing the guitar every day.....

flargosa
07-21-2010, 08:28 PM
Used tournagrip today, no blisters, hands feel fine. I really like the feel of it, very dry, thin, and grippy yet smooth at the same time. It never dampends or absorbs the feedback of the leather grip, a definate plus. What I didn't like is the lenght, even XL was too short. What's up with that? Had to rewrap my racquet a few times to get it all the way to the top of the grip. Overall, I like it. Thanks guys!

bfactor61
07-21-2010, 08:31 PM
leather grip with an overgrip

Ross K
07-21-2010, 09:04 PM
If I'm playing with a grip size that is obviously too small or a very light frame, or 1 that needs to be made more head-light, then I might consider leather or leather + OG. But it's rare and I've never really stuck to it for any length of time. If, however, you don't want much weight, like a softish feel and the textured contours or whatever you call them - simple... just use 2 OGs and you're done!

AceKing
07-22-2010, 08:04 AM
Used tournagrip today, no blisters, hands feel fine. I really like the feel of it, very dry, thin, and grippy yet smooth at the same time. It never dampends or absorbs the feedback of the leather grip, a definate plus. What I didn't like is the lenght, even XL was too short. What's up with that? Had to rewrap my racquet a few times to get it all the way to the top of the grip. Overall, I like it. Thanks guys!

If XL is too short, you can get it in XXL.

AceKing
07-22-2010, 08:10 AM
I use a leather grip w/ tournagrip over it & it is still pretty rough. I like it though because the bevels are very well defined.

As far as durability for tournagrip. . . I usually change grips after every match, but I flip the grip over, so basically 2 matches per grip. I buy the 30 packs, so it's < $1 per grip.

GPB
07-22-2010, 08:58 AM
I use leather grips with Pacific XTack overgrips -- they're grrrrrrrreat!