PDA

View Full Version : Should I add lead or install CAP grommets on Radical to reach desired weight?

Irakli
07-20-2010, 04:52 AM
This is my first post here so first of all Ė big hi to everyone.

So letís get down to the question:

I started playing tennis this year. First racquet I bought was Head Liquidmetal Radical MP. I had 10 grams of lead tape added in the handle and it was fine playing racquet. 2 month ago I bought Head Speed MP (18X20). I added 10 grams of lead tape in the handle again, and the racquet weight became 340 grams stung. Unfortunately I crashed the racquet several days ago when I smashed it into the fence after 2 hours of unfortunate play.

I ordered the Radical again, this time the Microgel version. The problem is, the stock one is really lightweight Ė itís only 310 grams strung and I need to make it heavier. My question is - Should I just add lead or install CAP grommets to reach desired weight? Lately, thereís been a lot of talk about capping the radicals, and many state that radicals become more stable and better in general (though some state the opposite - that cap grommets make racquets stiffer, etc). I also see many pros using radicals with cap grommets (Soderling, Murray, to name few).

So what would you guys at the board recommend Ė should I install the CAP grommets and then add some lead in the handle to counterbalance or just go only with lead tape?

Thanks in advance (and sorry for a long post).
Irakli

120mphBodyServe
07-20-2010, 04:59 AM
A lot of racquets should come with a warning or something...
LEAD NOT INCLUDED?
Just add lead. It's easier than squeezing in CAP grommets.

Irakli
07-20-2010, 05:20 AM
Thanks for the reply 120mph.

I didn’t necessarily ask the question this way – which would be EASIER way to make the racquet heavier, but rather, which option would have more benefits in terms of having better playing racquet. I’ve changed the grommets (not CAP grommets though) in the past and though it was not easy, it was not too hard as well.

Thanks again.

120mphBodyServe
07-20-2010, 05:43 AM
Adding lead makes any racquet play better. You don't have to go to the trouble of putting in the cap grommets.
Just make sure you're very accurate in measuring out your lead tape, especially when sticking it on 3 & 9 o clock.
And counter balancing by placing lead on the handle first is a good idea. Btw, how was playing with the Speed 18 x 20??
What string were you using and at what tension?
What's your NTRP/style of play?

Rockitdog
07-20-2010, 06:15 AM
Agree with 120- installing CAP grommets is a major PITA! Stick with the lead because you can more easily adjust it reach your desired specs/ performace.

goran_ace
07-20-2010, 06:22 AM
Please don't take offense at this, but you said you just started playing this year. Don't obsess about equipment. Learn the fundamentals and just enjoy the game.

Irakli
07-20-2010, 06:23 AM
120mph,

I have no idea about my NTRP.
My style of play is offensive – aggressive baseliner, though I go to the net when possible.

Head Speed Mp (18X20) – it was maneuverable racquet, with more oval head shape than Radical, was not stiff, had more power but less control than Radical. And I more thing – it did chip and scratch very easily. I had hybrid string setup, poly mains, synthetic/multi crosses (mostly various Weisscannon strings) strung like 22-24 kg mains, 24-26 kg crosses.

I guess I was playing worse with Speed than with Radical as my game was very inconsistent from one day to another. I really hope that switching back to Radical will have positive results on my game.

Irakli

Irakli
07-20-2010, 06:30 AM
No offence taken goran_ace.

Actually I used to play as a kid, and I re-started in January this year. I have a coach and Iím progressing. And I do get obsessed about my equipment (like my guitar for instance) Ė sorry, canít help it :).

Irakli

Irakli
07-21-2010, 01:25 AM
Rockitdog,

I see you use Microgel Radicals.
How do you have 'em set up (I don't mean strings, etc, but rather lead tape, mods...)?

Irakli

pyrokid
07-21-2010, 06:52 AM
if you use lead to weight it, it will be more flexy.
if you use CAPS, it will be more stiff.
According to someone who knew what they were talking about at least.