PDA

View Full Version : Pure Drive Roddick Cortex vs. Pure Drive Roddick GT

Rockitdog
07-20-2010, 01:49 PM
At one point or another I've used both versions of the Pure Drive Roddick. I actually liked both frames and can't remember now why I left the cortex version but my arm started killing me when I was using the PDR GTs. I prefered the GTs over the cortex beacuse I left they hit a crisper ball and I just felt that I hit a cleaner ball overall with the GT version.

Just curious if anyone out there who's played with these frames chose to play the cortex version over the GT version, and if so- why? My current racquets are great frames, I just miss the power my PDRs provided me with and the bombs I could consistandly hit when serving.

Rockitdog
07-21-2010, 05:33 AM
bump... anyone???

origmarm
07-21-2010, 06:10 AM
I have played (though only briefly with the cortex) with both. The cortex was, for want of a better word, "vibraty" which the GT is not. The feel is dramatically improved for the GT version imo. Additionally I felt the GT version was better balanced on the whole (despite in theory being the same).

Still, it would be interesting to hear from someone who has an extended spell with both.

Commando Tennis Shorts
07-21-2010, 06:46 AM
I've played with every pure drive since the early 2000s, and I am in love with the GT.

I've played around with all the Pure Drives, but my racquet of choice for quite a few years has been the Pure Drive "Swirly" (the woofer edition, not the one prior). However, I started to run out a few years ago and had been looking for a replacement that played similarly.

After demoing the GT for about a week earlier this year, I was surprised with how similarly they felt, especially the solid feel that I thought had left the pure drives after the "swirly" (PD standard, PD Cortex).

The GT definitely has a more solid feel than its two predecessors, which cut down on the tennis elbow for me quite nicely.

Hope this has been some kind of help.

Rockitdog
07-21-2010, 07:21 AM
I'm considering going back- but to the cortex version which is substantially cheaper at $119/ ea.

counterfeit25
07-21-2010, 09:23 AM
I use both the cortex-only and GT version (PDR+ for me).

I think the cortex version has more vibration than the GT version. Or, you can say the GT version is more muted... same thing.

In terms of the shots that I produce, I do not notice much difference. Even if there is a difference, it's too small for me to notice.

It all comes down to your preference for the feel of the racquet. For me, I am OK either way.

Actually, I bought the cortex version as a backup to the GT version I initially had, because it was so much cheaper. Right now, I am using the cortex version as my main racquet (GT as backup), mainly because my GT racquet's grommets are in poor condition.

Rockitdog
07-21-2010, 10:48 AM
I just picked up 2 of the cortex version simply on price alone since the GTs will end up being around for a longer time, I might as well go with cortex for now and then if they don't work I didn't up investing as much.

beanieweenie
07-23-2010, 07:13 PM
Commando Tennis Shorts-

interested what you had to say about the GT as I am a long time user of the PD Swirly as well for it's solid feel. Needless to say I am not a fan by any means of anything having to do with cortex.

As I'm sure you no doubt know, the Swirly is getting hard to come by as are the PD teams. When you say the GT feels similar to the solid feel of the Swirly, were you referring to the GT Roddick or the regular GT? I'm due up for some new frames and would like your input. Also, if your referring to the Roddick GT, any chance you compared Swirly to Regular GT, and what are your thoughts? Getting older, getting wiser, not getting faster, definitely not getting stronger. Thanks

Commando Tennis Shorts
07-29-2010, 03:54 PM
Commando Tennis Shorts-

interested what you had to say about the GT as I am a long time user of the PD Swirly as well for it's solid feel. Needless to say I am not a fan by any means of anything having to do with cortex.

As I'm sure you no doubt know, the Swirly is getting hard to come by as are the PD teams. When you say the GT feels similar to the solid feel of the Swirly, were you referring to the GT Roddick or the regular GT? I'm due up for some new frames and would like your input. Also, if your referring to the Roddick GT, any chance you compared Swirly to Regular GT, and what are your thoughts? Getting older, getting wiser, not getting faster, definitely not getting stronger. Thanks

No problem. Yes, the swirly is quite a racquet, and I was sad to let it go. But I just couldn't find them in good condition anymore, so I made the move.

I was referring to the GT Roddick. I unfortunately did not demo the regular GT, although I wish I had. I'm a fan of the heavier racquets, so I had only demoed the GT Roddick and the GT Roddick Plus.

So I can't really speak to the regular GT, but I definitely endorse the GT Roddick. That thing is solid in a way that I hadn't felt since the swirly. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about---the original cortex and the racquet just before the cortex just seemed a bit hollow and tinny. The GT Roddick is solid, has great plowthrough, and just really feels like a racquet ought to.

Hope that helps. If not, drop me another line.