PDA

View Full Version : Fake oversize racquets

MonkeyMania
07-20-2010, 11:25 PM
Just curious, but has anybody ever heard of fake oversize versions of racquets? I know of a lot of fake midplus, tweener racquets but never OS versions (example: microgel radical OS).

Djlpenguin
07-21-2010, 01:40 PM
thats because OS racquets are already crappy enough. :D jk

MonkeyMania
07-21-2010, 03:21 PM
Sooooo...is that a "no?"

Seth
07-21-2010, 03:39 PM
Sooooo...is that a "no?"

I think that's more of a "I thought this would be funny, but didn't think my comment through enough."

flashfire276
07-21-2010, 06:39 PM
Have you checked out Big 5, or even Target? Case closed.

This is because the big brands (Head, Wilson, Prince) sell some of their molds and even rights to these retailers, and a third party company recreates these racquets with the brand name. That's why you see racquets like Liquidmetal Genesis, K Factor Pro Six, or Triple Threat Cloud.

MonkeyMania
07-21-2010, 10:28 PM
Have you checked out Big 5, or even Target? Case closed.

This is because the big brands (Head, Wilson, Prince) sell some of their molds and even rights to these retailers, and a third party company recreates these racquets with the brand name. That's why you see racquets like Liquidmetal Genesis, K Factor Pro Six, or Triple Threat Cloud.

I was talking about fake racquets like a Head Microgel Radical Oversize that is sold as being such but in reality is a knockoff...much like fake Pure Drives, AeroPro drives, etc sold on the internet. You hear about a lot of knockoff mids, midpluses, etc but I have never heard of knockoff oversize racquets.

Lakers4Life
07-21-2010, 10:43 PM
It's highly unlikely to see a fake OS racket simply because they are not so popular. The main reason you see higher end rackets faked is because of the high price. Blame the manufacturer for setting a MAP (Manufacturers Advertise Price or Price Fixing), meaning distributor/dealers cannot sell below a fixed price, or else lose their account with the company.

Typically the best selling rackets are faked or counterfeited.

MonkeyMania
07-21-2010, 10:58 PM
It's highly unlikely to see a fake OS racket simply because they are not so popular. The main reason you see higher end rackets faked is because of the high price. Blame the manufacturer for setting a MAP (Manufacturers Advertise Price or Price Fixing), meaning distributor/dealers cannot sell below a fixed price, or else lose their account with the company.

Typically the best selling rackets are faked or counterfeited.

Makes sense. Thanks...

ace0001a
07-21-2010, 11:04 PM
As far as I know the last fake OS racquets made were the Head Flexpoint Radical OS and Microgel Radical OS and that was only because of Agassi. Now that he's retired and Andy Murray is the face of their Radical line (eventhough he doesn't actually use a Radical), they only make fake Youtek Radical MP or Pro racquets. What Lakers4life said pretty much sums of the rest of the reasoning behind fake racquets. On a side note, the commonly faked Babolat MP racquets (100 square inches) when compared to Head 107 OS racquets seems of little difference to me when I hold them next to each other...so I guess those would be the closest of you're looking for a large headsized fake racquet.

MonkeyMania
07-22-2010, 08:27 PM
As far as I know the last fake OS racquets made were the Head Flexpoint Radical OS and Microgel Radical OS and that was only because of Agassi. Now that he's retired and Andy Murray is the face of their Radical line (eventhough he doesn't actually use a Radical), they only make fake Youtek Radical MP or Pro racquets. What Lakers4life said pretty much sums of the rest of the reasoning behind fake racquets. On a side note, the commonly faked Babolat MP racquets (100 square inches) when compared to Head 107 OS racquets seems of little difference to me when I hold them next to each other...so I guess those would be the closest of you're looking for a large headsized fake racquet.

It's funny that you mention that racquet, because another reason I asked this question is because I purchased a Microgel Radical OS off *bay for $49.99...I bought it for a friend and for the price I really couldn't beat it.

The guy says he bought it from TW and it arrived on 7/14/10. He says he played with it 3 times, felt it wasn't for him so he placed it for sale with a "Buy It Now" of 49.99. No scratches, court rash, grip wear...ANYTHING. I figured I couldn't really go wrong for the price and the odds that it is fake are very low.

I also figure I could contact TW with the racquet "barcode" and they could verify whether-or-not it was purchased through them.

strokee
07-22-2010, 09:48 PM
It's funny that you mention that racquet, because another reason I asked this question is because I purchased a Microgel Radical OS off *bay for $49.99...I bought it for a friend and for the price I really couldn't beat it.

The guy says he bought it from TW and it arrived on 7/14/10. He says he played with it 3 times, felt it wasn't for him so he placed it for sale with a "Buy It Now" of 49.99. No scratches, court rash, grip wear...ANYTHING. I figured I couldn't really go wrong for the price and the odds that it is fake are very low.

I also figure I could contact TW with the racquet "barcode" and they could verify whether-or-not it was purchased through them.

I seriously doubt that anybody is selling fake MG Radical OS's these days...probably very few out there when Agassi used it. The price is probably low enough on those these days that the seller's claim is valid and the price is low but not "too good to be true." I think you can get them new for around $80 if you search. If the seller's *bay feedback is good you are probably fine and got a good deal.

film1
07-22-2010, 09:50 PM
I have seen a fake os pure drive.

strokee
07-22-2010, 09:59 PM

Those are one thing...a fake Microgel Radical OS in 2010 is another thing, lol...

ace0001a
07-22-2010, 10:56 PM

I seriously doubt that anybody is selling fake MG Radical OS's these days...probably very few out there when Agassi used it. The price is probably low enough on those these days that the seller's claim is valid and the price is low but not "too good to be true." I think you can get them new for around $80 if you search. If the seller's *bay feedback is good you are probably fine and got a good deal.

Yeah, you can often find legitimate MG Radical OSes often for a good price. The last one I bought was for around $45 shipped. But fake MG and FXP Rad OSes can still be found from China. It's just that Babolats and Wilsons are more popular (because of Nadal and Federer) and so that's why you'd more likely find fakes of those on the popular online auction sites more than Heads. And again, I honestly don't find much of a headsize difference between a Babolat Midplus and a Head Oversize racquet. I hear they're getting pretty good with the fake Babolats and a forum member here even once proclaimed that he liked is fake Babolat APD over his real one once he customized it.

strokee
07-22-2010, 11:29 PM
From what I can gather the pure drive MP racquets are closer to 101" in headsize while the head OS racquets are about 104"...not much of a noticeable difference.

Lakers4Life
07-23-2010, 01:28 AM

The only OS Pure drive is the PD107. Very rare though still MAP'd, I have yet to see a counterfeit version of it.

pingu
07-23-2010, 05:04 AM
I tend to agree that they fake base on how popular the racket is rather than the head size.