PDA

View Full Version : TennisMD - here's my AeroPro Drive update

SC in MA
05-24-2005, 06:29 AM
In another thread, you asked:
<snip>....SC how has the APD experiment gone are you playing with the N Code exclusively now or what?The experiment of adding lead to help the APD to absorb more ball impact did not go well, mainly because I didn't like the way the racket played in the couple of leaded-up configurations I tried. It either played too heavy or I didn't like the balance, or both. :-(

So I went back to a minimal configuration with about a 2 inch length of lead at 3 and 9. I also strung it with NRG2 17g at 56lbs. The good news is that the APD played well in this lead setup - very similar to how it plays stock. :-) I played with it twice outdoors on clay with this setup against hard hitters. Though I hit a ton of balls, I didn't really have any elbow twinges either during or after playing. I wonder if its because things slow down a bit on clay. The ball is a bit slower and there's more time to properly prepare. Or maybe it was the string setup? Not sure of the reason, but I was glad there didn't seem to be any elbow problems even though I hit a ton of balls, and played for about 2+ hours in one of the sessions.

I still think the APD plays a bit light, which is a plus and a minus. The minus is that groundstrokes just don't have a heavy, plowthru effect, which I think is a big plus with the n61 95. The plus side of the APD is it's easy to generate spin. And I really like its manuverability, which is very nice in many ways, but especially in dealing with clay court bad bounces. Another big plus is the APD didn't feel like a club when serving after 2 hours of play.

So, my current plan is to continue with the APD unless I run into any sort of elbow/arm problem, or if I find I don't play as well with it as with the proven n61. I'll likely try an all-gut or gut/syn.gut hybrid string job in the APD in the near future.

How about yourself? Have you stopped playing with the APD? Any update on your current racket situation?

TennisMD
05-24-2005, 08:16 PM
SC in MA:

Unfortunately the forearm tenderness has flaired a bit.
..Played with the unweighted version last Pm played well but some discomfort ensued. I am puzzeled however for I demoed this rkt for wks and no problems. I think the weighted version 12.2 oz 6 inches of lead at 10 and 2 and the rest in the handle may be the best. Troublesome as I play well with the APD. May go back to my arm saver for awhile the Volkl C 10 MP.