PDA

View Full Version : 100 sq. in with 18x20 spec. best of both worlds?

Fed Kennedy
07-21-2010, 06:20 PM
I've never tried this spec. I think I will try to score a used prince ozone pro tour davydenko or a head speed mp 18x20...anyone into this spec have any thoughts on the two frames, or another one I am missing?

xFullCourtTenniSx
07-21-2010, 07:22 PM
I've never tried this spec. I think I will try to score a used prince ozone pro tour davydenko or a head speed mp 18x20...anyone into this spec have any thoughts on the two frames, or another one I am missing?

My dad liked it for a little bit. I on the other hand hated it. The Ozone Pro Tour had too much bounce on it, and not enough access to spin to control that bounce. It's somewhat okay if you hit flat, and nice on the slices, but

Head Speed MP doesn't have enough power or access to spin. Might do a little better if there was a bunch of weight added on. Much better than the Ozone Pro Tour though, because at the very least there was plenty of control to make up for the lack of spin. The Ozone Pro Tour really launches the ball.

Fed Kennedy
07-21-2010, 09:07 PM
hmmm...how much bounce are talking about here? Like pure drive bounce? I'm kind of old...a little bounce might be a good thing. Did your dad have poly mains on that thing?

DustinW
07-22-2010, 08:45 AM
I spent quite a bit of time with both the Ozone Pro Tour (1+ year) and the Speed 18x20 (3 months). I liked the OPT better... it was much more spin friendly and had a little more pop to it. The Speed was nice but just didn't do it for me for some reason. I ended up adding lead to the Speed which helped, but it still wasn't enough for me to stick with it.

I have since moved on to the Wilson BLX 6.1 95 18x20, and for me, its beats the other two in every aspect.

The Volkl PB 10 mid+ is the other that comes to mind with 100 sq in and 18x20, but I haven't hit with that one.

BC1
07-22-2010, 08:59 AM
I liked the Speed 18x20 (better then the 16x18 ). I thought it was very good at almost everything, not outstanding in any one area, but great all around. Very forgiving and lots of control. Power and spin are ok with the right strokes. Plus the weight and balance are great imo. Seems lighter then the specs. Definitely worth a demo.

I can't think of any other 100sq in 18x20 being currently sold. (The volkl PB10 Mid+ is a 98 ). But considering HEADS smaller head sizes their 100 is basically a 98 anyway. And there are LOTS of 98s in an 18x20.

Fed Kennedy
07-22-2010, 11:38 AM
Hey dustinw, how do you compare the blx 18x20 to the prince, I actually have the wilson, I agree, great stick, but a lot of racquet. I thought the prince might be more forgiving...

justsomeguy
07-22-2010, 01:14 PM
or another one I am missing?

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Boris_Becker_Delta_Core_Legend/descpageRCVOLKL-BDCL.html

I use the older one, Becker 11, but this specs out about the same.

oops, guess they still sell it:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Boris_Becker_11/descpageRCVOLKL-B11.html

Fed Kennedy
07-22-2010, 01:35 PM
I know the dcl well. Sublime racquet. They claim it is 98 but I agree it seems a little bigger than other 98s out there.

DustinW
07-22-2010, 04:45 PM
Hey dustinw, how do you compare the blx 18x20 to the prince, I actually have the wilson, I agree, great stick, but a lot of racquet. I thought the prince might be more forgiving...

I would say the Prince is a bit more forgiving than the Wilson just because the Prince swings a little faster, and the O-ports give you a huge sweetspot. For me, the Wilson has a more crisp feel which I really like.

The Head was my least favorite of the 3... smaller sweetspot, a lot less spin, and the sweetspot is lower in the head which really bothers me. The head size feels more like a 95 than a 100. It served and volleyed really well though, so I stayed with it a while hoping it would come around.

They are all great frames though, and I'm sure my choice of the Wilson is simply a personal preference.

Its not 18x20, but you might try the Prince Ozone Tour. Its a bit lighter and more flexible than the Ozone Pro Tour, and a lot more forgiving than the 3 18x20 frames you are looking at.

Fed Kennedy
07-22-2010, 08:49 PM
Yeah the regular ozone tour seems to catch a lot of love...I find it easier to hit through the court with 18x20 but maybe it's psychological.

spaceman_spiff
07-23-2010, 02:22 AM
I've played with the OPT and the Speed MP 18x20.

For me, there was just a bit too much of a trampoline effect with the OPT and not as much spin as I was expecting. If the flex was 5 points or more lower, that would probably have offset that. But, as it is, the stiffness + the holes = a bit of a tramploline (not like some of the rocket launchers out there, but not as controlled as I was hoping for).

The Speed MP works pretty well for me. The head shape is quite similar to the Prince, but you get a more controlled feel with the traditional grommets. Spin is also pretty good given that the main strings are spaced nicely, similar to what you see on an old Radical OS. I'd probably like it a little more with a touch more flex, but it's not a huge deal.

Keep in mind that I have/had both rackets leaded up to 355 g unstrung, so I cannot comment on how they compare in stock form.

Head Youtek
07-23-2010, 04:01 AM

Speed is a good way to go....

ollinger
07-23-2010, 05:11 AM
The Tecnifibre T-Flash 310 18x20 was the best of both worlds in this regard, still available brand new at a few places. More power than either of the racquets you mention, very good control. I have one is superb condition, contact me at wasabe666@aol.com if you're interested.

philxor
07-24-2010, 06:59 PM
I've been playing with the OPT for the last couple of years with good results. I have no issue finding spin with the racquet, and the control with a good poly like SPPP is fairly good. I am however getting ready to demo some new racquets like head prestige MP, blx 6.1, and pacific xforce pro, which have similar specs to the OPT.

Archmage
07-24-2010, 07:38 PM
It bothers me that there is no 17x19 pattern.

I feel the need to satisfy my OCD-leanings with regard to prime numbers :(

A good 97 in^2 frame in 17x19 would be nice... then I could be comfortable with 17g string, hopefully 1.19 or 1.23mm.

Yea - I'm nutz. :neutral:

HiroProtagonist
07-24-2010, 08:29 PM
I spent quite a bit of time with both the Ozone Pro Tour (1+ year) and the Speed 18x20 (3 months). I liked the OPT better... it was much more spin friendly and had a little more pop to it. The Speed was nice but just didn't do it for me for some reason. I ended up adding lead to the Speed which helped, but it still wasn't enough for me to stick with it.

I have since moved on to the Wilson BLX 6.1 95 18x20, and for me, its beats the other two in every aspect.

The Volkl PB 10 mid+ is the other that comes to mind with 100 sq in and 18x20, but I haven't hit with that one.

BLX Six.One 95 18x20 FTW! intuitive feel and control and effortless beauty on serve, cant be beat.