PDA

View Full Version : how would one clean the frame

TheLambsheadrep
07-21-2010, 07:39 PM
I just realized I have a milky white colored build up of some sort on parts of the outside of my racket head. I can scratch some off with my fingernail, but can't get it off all of that way. id rather not scrape the rest with a file or something, so is there a spray cleaner or something I could use that wouldn't hurt the paint/shinny exterior coating or any part of the frame?

Sampson
07-21-2010, 07:53 PM
bedazzle it.....

TheLambsheadrep
07-21-2010, 08:27 PM
ya, not helpful. i tried water and washcloth, not very effective

bayoozen33
07-21-2010, 08:40 PM
I've read other posters say non acetone nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol. However, I haven't tried this as I haven't really needed to. I would wait for someone to confirm those suggestions before doing it.

Virtua Tennis
07-21-2010, 08:40 PM
try using rubbing alcohol

Virtua Tennis
07-21-2010, 08:41 PM
I've read other posters say non acetone nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol. However, I haven't tried this as I haven't really needed to. I would wait for someone to confirm those suggestions before doing it.

don't use acetone it maybe too strong and remove the paint

TheLambsheadrep
07-21-2010, 08:50 PM
so maybe nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol but def no acetone. any other suggestions?

vb2374
07-21-2010, 08:55 PM
Citrus cleaner, such as Goo Gone.

TomballJV
07-21-2010, 09:29 PM
I'm gonna give the same advice that I did for somebody who asked about cleaning shoes and say Mr. Clean Magic Eraser. It works pretty well and could be used to clean almost anything

pyrokid
07-21-2010, 09:30 PM

This, it works on almost everything that you can get off without serious chemicals.
If this doesn't work, try baking soda paste. But that probably won't work.

Keifers
07-21-2010, 09:33 PM
I've used acetone very successfully over the years -- on the shiny surfaces of racquets, it removes dirt and grime quickly and easily. (Be careful using it on stick-on labels, plastic tape, etc. It can remove color and melt glue.) Apply with a cotton bud or cotton bud.

Btw, acetone is the key ingredient of most nail polish removers.

pshulam
07-21-2010, 09:38 PM
isopropyl or ethyl alcohol (ethanol). Car Wax is another possibility.

DonnyDarko
07-21-2010, 11:14 PM
Try Barkeepers friend. It's a very mild abrasive you apply gently with a wet sponge or cloth.

blipblop
07-22-2010, 08:04 AM
I just realized I have a milky white colored build up...

forgive me but i'm gonna be immature for a second. ok i think you know where i'm going with this quote....

anyway to answer the question: i use this stuff called goof off when i change base grips to get the adhesive off the pallet, and it's really powerful (don't use it without good ventilation in the room). i think it uses ethanol and xylene, which i dunno how bad that would be for the paint job. i don't mind for the pallet though.

the other recommendations should work, try those first.

Nuke
07-22-2010, 08:09 AM
If you have a can of WD-40 around, spray a rag and use that to wipe down the frame. That takes off a lot of organic-based gunk.

TripleB
07-22-2010, 08:27 AM

Ditto...Goo Gone is always the first thing I try.

TripleB

MayDay
07-22-2010, 09:45 AM
If you have a can of WD-40 around, spray a rag and use that to wipe down the frame. That takes off a lot of organic-based gunk.

Doesn't that leave it smelling "WD-40"? Or do you clean the WD-40 off with something else?

GPB
07-22-2010, 09:56 AM
goo gone is good stuff, though i've never used it on rackets.

rubbing alcohol has been good enough for me on those.

Nuke
07-22-2010, 10:32 AM
Doesn't that leave it smelling "WD-40"? Or do you clean the WD-40 off with something else?

Hey, WD-40 is like perfume; what are you talking about? Seriously, after removing the gunk, wipe it off with a clean cloth, and the smell will go away. If that's still too much, "odorless" mineral spirits will do the same job with less smell.

Lakers4Life
07-22-2010, 10:38 AM
Naptha or Lighter Fluid, also removes leftover adhesive as wells as grease. Dries quickly and no odor afterwards.

Don't use Acetone or MEK, unless you want the frame to melt.

JackB1
07-22-2010, 11:01 AM
I cant imagine a racquet getting so dirty that a special cleaner is needed to get the dirt off.???

Snipergene
07-22-2010, 11:45 AM
i use this stuff called goof off when i change base grips to get the adhesive off the pallet, and it's really powerful (don't use it without good ventilation in the room). i think it uses ethanol and xylene, which i dunno how bad that would be for the paint job. i don't mind for the pallet though.

the other recommendations should work, try those first.

+1. I used Goof Off last night on a racquet to get a lot of adhesive from old grips off and then I wiped down the whole frame with it. It worked beautifully and didn't harm the paint.

Lakers4Life
07-22-2010, 11:52 AM
If a racket is left in a Garage for a long time, especially without a head cover. A thin film of grease will form. I've seen it a few times from clients that buy old rackets from craigslist. Alcohol works but it takes a long time. For me Naptha and a shop rag works the best. But there are some rackets with a dull paint job that is somewhat tacky. Not all rackets made have a glossy finish.

UD1
07-22-2010, 12:32 PM
Try Simple Green. Won't take off paint or anything else except the dirt and grime

TheLambsheadrep
07-22-2010, 03:30 PM
ive determined that its gunk from the top of the net. i guess outdoor hardcourt nets would get grimy after a while. does this change any suggestions?

Snipergene
07-29-2010, 07:28 AM
ive determined that its gunk from the top of the net. i guess outdoor hardcourt nets would get grimy after a while. does this change any suggestions?
Softscrub and some elbow grease.

TheLambsheadrep
09-29-2010, 05:24 PM
so what can I use, and what can I absolutely not use?

bugeyed
09-29-2010, 05:45 PM
so maybe nail polish remover or rubbing alcohol but def no acetone. any other suggestions?

Nail polish remover is acetone. If a commercial cleaner doesn't work, I would use naphtha.
Cheers,
kev

Bud
09-29-2010, 05:54 PM
so what can I use, and what can I absolutely not use?

Nail polish remover is acetone. If a commercial cleaner doesn't work, I would use naphtha.
Cheers,
kev

Use nail polish remover (acetone) as people stated earlier in the thread.

DonnyDarko
09-29-2010, 06:04 PM
Now that I think of it, I purchased a bottle of rubbing compound from an auto body shop a while back. Stuff is made by 3M and is made for final polishing on paint jobs (color tone specific, darker compound for darker finishes). I used this often to remove minor scuffs from my car (it's black) and it does a great job. Just rub the stuff in, polish with a soft dry cloth, and scuffs and marks are gone. I just finish it off with some wax and it was better than new.

TheLambsheadrep
09-30-2010, 05:41 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=61129

this pretty much says WD-40...
is using very small amounts of acetone at a time (on a q-tip) to clean the frame safe?