PDA

View Full Version : pure drive or pure drive roddick?

CycloneSh0t
07-21-2010, 10:55 PM
hey guys i've been having trouble staying committed to a racket i currently own a pdr cortex strung with rpm blast 16g at 57 pounds.

My friend has a pure drive gt strung at 56 with fxp 17 strings.

My question is that why is it i feel that i can swing faster creating more topspin and can get around the ball easier with the pure drive?

i noticed i was hitting with his racket and my shots were able to jump higher. as with mine i feel that i may contact it late and my shots have a flatter trajectory.

would .5 oz or 14 grams really make that difference?

if so is there a way to off set this and allow me to hit like the pure drive but maintain the same racket?

BobFL
07-21-2010, 11:11 PM
hey guys i've been having trouble staying committed to a racket i currently own a pdr cortex strung with rpm blast 16g at 57 pounds.

My question is that why is it i feel that i can swing faster creating more topspin and can get around the ball easier with the pure drive?

i noticed i was hitting with his racket and my shots were able to jump higher. as with mine i feel that i may contact it late and my shots have a flatter trajectory.

if so is there a way to off set this and allow me to hit like the pure drive but maintain the same racket?

Well, you just answered your own question! :)
You simply have more racquet head speed and less weight to drag around.

CycloneSh0t
07-21-2010, 11:29 PM
Well, you just answered your own question! :)
You simply have more racquet head speed and less weight to drag around.

yea but some say that there is trade offs, because you have more weight the ball will travel farther because of inertia.
yet others believe because its lighter u can swing faster

what i'm saying is that is there any way i could feel more comfortable with my own stick. i don't feel like running out to the store and buying another racket due to my bad decision getting the wrong pure drive

Cup8489
07-21-2010, 11:33 PM
yea but some say that there is trade offs, because you have more weight the ball will travel farther because of inertia.

what i'm saying is that is there any way i could feel more comfortable with my own stick. i don't feel like running out to the store and buying another racket due to my bad decision getting the wrong pure drive

if you can swing both racquets at the same speed, the PDR is the more powerful of the two. but it sounds like you're able to generate more racquet speed with the regular pure drive, and thus it may actually be the better of the two for you.

when i used the aero pro drive, I added some weight under the grip, which enabled me to generate more of a whipping motion, while also putting more mass behind the ball to generate more power. you could consider doing so with the regular pure drive, but it sounds like it's the better frame for you.

azn_lefty_roddick_jr
07-21-2010, 11:41 PM
I own both regular and Roddick Pure Drives. Used to practice with the Roddick, and when a match came up, switched to the Pure Drive Team and would rip balls so much easier. Those 15 grams in difference really does feel noticeable!

In the long run, though, I leaded up my PDT+ to the same specs as my PDR+... There isn't a way to make the PDR lighter, to answer your question, but I suggest you stick with the PDR, because it's much better against the big hitters, and once you've been using it enough, you'll be much more suited to it.

If you really want to get a regular Pure Drive though, I'm sure you can trade for one, or try stripping off the headboard and see what that does, lol.

Hope my opinion helped! I'd say stick with what you've got, you'll be glad you did in the long run.

CycloneSh0t
07-21-2010, 11:50 PM
if you can swing both racquets at the same speed, the PDR is the more powerful of the two. but it sounds like you're able to generate more racquet speed with the regular pure drive, and thus it may actually be the better of the two for you.

when i used the aero pro drive, I added some weight under the grip, which enabled me to generate more of a whipping motion, while also putting more mass behind the ball to generate more power. you could consider doing so with the regular pure drive, but it sounds like it's the better frame for you.

thats one of the questions i wondered about, by make a racket more head-light ur still increasing its weight so it wouldnt make the racquet more manuverable if anything it would slow it down. b/c its already x amount head-heavy making it any more headlight wouldn't make a difference except adding more weight

CycloneSh0t
07-21-2010, 11:56 PM
I own both regular and Roddick Pure Drives. Used to practice with the Roddick, and when a match came up, switched to the Pure Drive Team and would rip balls so much easier. Those 15 grams in difference really does feel noticeable!

In the long run, though, I leaded up my PDT+ to the same specs as my PDR+... There isn't a way to make the PDR lighter, to answer your question, but I suggest you stick with the PDR, because it's much better against the big hitters, and once you've been using it enough, you'll be much more suited to it.

If you really want to get a regular Pure Drive though, I'm sure you can trade for one, or try stripping off the headboard and see what that does, lol.

Hope my opinion helped! I'd say stick with what you've got, you'll be glad you did in the long run.

thats too bad because i agree with u to some extent. it would be better in the long run, but in the past i already went through 2 rackets a instinct team, which i was too light and powerful, then to dunlop aerogel 200 which was too heavy, and i thought i could improve myself to the racket.

now same thing with the roddick -.- " but i'm skeptical about how much i can really improve to be able to use the stick efficently.
the pure drive can always be leaded up as i progress if i feel its too light

trading? i doubt it at the condition of my racket i might as well get a new one dropped it too many times attempting to spin it and do racket tricks

BobFL
07-22-2010, 07:40 AM

You are right however it seems like you play better with a lighter racquet. It is well known fact that you can compensate mass with more speed and that is exactly what you do. Well you can try to make it more h-l but that would make it even more heavy. I don't think it would do the job.

CycloneSh0t
07-22-2010, 08:26 PM
You are right however it seems like you play better with a lighter racquet. It is well known fact that you can compensate mass with more speed and that is exactly what you do. Well you can try to make it more h-l but that would make it even more heavy. I don't think it would do the job.

yea i talked to my co-worker today at the tennis shop i work at. he was using the analogy of a hammer. like if u reverse the hammer its still the same weight but ur not holding onto the metal head and it will feel lighter.

in the end your increasing the weight, but according to him it will give the illusion of it being lighter because there is more weight in the handle

yet i still question that because it doesn't change the weight in the head. so i dun see how it would make it any more manuverable

any thoughts?

Mr_Shiver
07-22-2010, 08:48 PM
Add weight under the butt cap and try it out. It will make it more hl. Lead tape is cheap and you will be able to test out if it feels any different. Weight under the cap and on most of the handle has nearly zero effect on the racquets swing weight. If you don't believe me search for the official lead tape thread and check under the recent posts. I put up a link to an online swing weight calculator. Punch in the data to see if the sw goes up or not. Other options include searching for older PD team models. Good luck. PS, the cortex versions are the worst of the series. If get the chance nab an older model.

BobFL
07-22-2010, 08:54 PM
yea i talked to my co-worker today at the tennis shop i work at. he was using the analogy of a hammer. like if u reverse the hammer its still the same weight but ur not holding onto the metal head and it will feel lighter.

in the end your increasing the weight, but according to him it will give the illusion of it being lighter because there is more weight in the handle

yet i still question that because it doesn't change the weight in the head. so i dun see how it would make it any more manuverable

any thoughts?

You colleague is right BUT not unconditionally. That is true until you reach one point in racquet's mass when a racquet becomes too heavy overall and being more h-l is simply not enough to maintain speed. Basically you can fool your arm/shoulder up to some point but after that the pure mass kicks in.

You can try do add mass around butt cap but be careful because that racquet is already on the heavy side.

KickservKyle
07-23-2010, 04:35 AM
If you are committed to keeping the heavier racquet, the only way to justify the decision is weight training.

Head Youtek
07-23-2010, 05:09 AM

.5 oz or 14 grams can make a huge difference.

Macro80
07-23-2010, 06:05 AM
I found the PD too light. Even my PDR's have lead under the handle and at 3 & 9.

Wilander
07-23-2010, 06:08 AM
As this is my first post on this forum i will start with a "BIG HI!" to everyone. English is not my main language, so please ignore my errors.

You can rub off some paint from the frame. I did that with my 4 PDRs and made them 10g lighter by doing so. If you dont care about the look of your sticks, this will work well.
You can also remove the bumper guard, which weighs 7-8g. As this weight is on the top of the head, this will decrease your sw significantly though. you will have to add lead until you find your perfect setup.

CycloneSh0t
07-23-2010, 10:35 PM
Add weight under the butt cap and try it out. It will make it more hl. Lead tape is cheap and you will be able to test out if it feels any different. Weight under the cap and on most of the handle has nearly zero effect on the racquets swing weight. If you don't believe me search for the official lead tape thread and check under the recent posts. I put up a link to an online swing weight calculator. Punch in the data to see if the sw goes up or not. Other options include searching for older PD team models. Good luck. PS, the cortex versions are the worst of the series. If get the chance nab an older model.

why do you say that? so u think it goes like this team>gt>cortex? no i believe you, but adding weight to the handle won't increase sw right? but it will increase the overall weight of the racket.
what i don't understand is how adding weight to the handle would make it more manuverable.

what difference would i make if it has nearly 0 effect on sw? why bother adding it at all other then physically increasing the weight of the stick?

CycloneSh0t
07-23-2010, 10:38 PM
If you are committed to keeping the heavier racquet, the only way to justify the decision is weight training.

thing i don't understand is how to weight train to make your swing faster. i look at federer and djoker and many tennis players

their fit for sure but they don't have nadals biceps and muscle yet they could hit faster or still hit very well.

i would think that just using the racket through long duration is weight training for increasing swing speed on its own.

however, i don't think anyone would be interested in a used maybe 7-8/10 condition pdr with some paintchips, and 4 1/4 grip

CycloneSh0t
07-23-2010, 10:39 PM
You colleague is right BUT not unconditionally. That is true until you reach one point in racquet's mass when a racquet becomes too heavy overall and being more h-l is simply not enough to maintain speed. Basically you can fool your arm/shoulder up to some point but after that the pure mass kicks in.

You can try do add mass around butt cap but be careful because that racquet is already on the heavy side.

i'm pretty sure i won't hit anywhere near that point without confirming my hypothesis
but thx for all your help!

CycloneSh0t
07-23-2010, 10:46 PM

sorry for the double post but i was wondering if what u think applies only to the pure drive, what about the aeros? storm? drive?

Mr_Shiver
07-23-2010, 11:03 PM
I don't really know how, why or even if it makes it more manueverable. I do know that 4 dollars isn't that much money to spend to find out. If it works you save the 200 bucks the gt costs. If it doesn't work you are out 4 dollars. Or you could buy an APDC which is cheaper than a PDGT while being quite similar. A little less power maybe but more spin.

BobFL
07-23-2010, 11:21 PM
i'm pretty sure i won't hit anywhere near that point without confirming my hypothesis
but thx for all your help!

You are very welcome. Well, what I am trying to say that you SHOULD definitely hit that point! After that point you will get diminishing returns and you will know exactly where to 'cap' the overall weight. If at that point or 1 gram below you are not satisfied with a whippy-ness you should consider getting your friend's racquet...

CycloneSh0t
07-28-2010, 10:55 PM
You are very welcome. Well, what I am trying to say that you SHOULD definitely hit that point! After that point you will get diminishing returns and you will know exactly where to 'cap' the overall weight. If at that point or 1 gram below you are not satisfied with a whippy-ness you should consider getting your friend's racquet...

that sounds reasonable, i guess now its all up to experimenting with lead tape >< hope everything goes well. i use to wrap it around the top of the handle, there is many speculation on where to add it

tiochaota
07-28-2010, 11:20 PM
If lead up pdgt = pdrgt?

OrangeOne
07-28-2010, 11:47 PM
It's funny, just because the PD & the PDR are in the same 'series', people see them as comparative. In reality, if a PD is the racquet for you, then there are probably 5 racquets from other manufacturers that are more likely to be appropriate to include in a comparison than the PDR - like the Microgel, and, well, everyone else's PD-copy!

CycloneSh0t
07-29-2010, 08:49 PM
It's funny, just because the PD & the PDR are in the same 'series', people see them as comparative. In reality, if a PD is the racquet for you, then there are probably 5 racquets from other manufacturers that are more likely to be appropriate to include in a comparison than the PDR - like the Microgel, and, well, everyone else's PD-copy!

well the pure drive was such a successful series, its no wonder why other manufacturers would create a duplicate.( ie aerogel 500, extreme series, those are the only two that come to mind)

LPShanet
08-02-2010, 05:44 PM
Great comments from BobFL and Cup8489. Totally agree with what they've said. Another thing to keep in mind (that also answers the question a couple of posts up) is that even if the two racquets were made to swing/balance/weight the same, they would still feel different, as they have different layups, and that results in different flex patterns. The PD will always be a hair "whippier" for lack of a better term.