PDA

View Full Version : Racquet in car trunk during summer time

jsailorca
07-21-2010, 11:36 PM
I have an old graphite (dunlop max 400i) racquet that I leave in a tennis thermal bag in the back of the car trunk during summer time. Just curious. Is this gonna affect the racquet long-term?

ProgressoR
07-21-2010, 11:47 PM
I can imagine the strings being affected, esp if its nat gut.

jsailorca
07-22-2010, 12:28 AM
I can imagine the strings being affected, esp if its nat gut.

anything else? how bout the frame itself?
what if i use low tension with syn gut? would that be better? thanks

ProgressoR
07-22-2010, 01:08 AM
not sure about the frame itself, but it doesnt sound very healthy, the temperature in a trunk can get very high in summer and wont cool down that much at night, I get worried if i keep a racket overnight in my car when its hot.

proracketeer
07-22-2010, 02:34 AM
in car drunk during summer time ?

getsby
07-22-2010, 03:26 AM
with the basket of balls in a heat( +30`C in the street, and in the closed luggage rack +45`C probably) does can that to happen?

jorel
07-22-2010, 03:49 AM
a brand new can of balls popped in my trunk from the heat

mikeler
07-22-2010, 04:35 AM
I've never had a problem with my frames or strings in the trunk. I don't leave balls in there for very long because they seem to go dead quicker for me.

pheonix6579
07-22-2010, 05:56 AM
Yes extreme heat will effect the frame. It causes the graphite to become softer and brittle. The string tension will begin to warp the frame if done on a consistent basis.

TripleB
07-22-2010, 07:26 AM
In high school I left my racquet in the car for tennis practice in the afternoon. Had a Wilson ProStaff 85 crack during the month of April (not even the hottest time of the year). Luckily when Wilson replaced it they sent me a St. Vincent model.

Depending on the material I would say that some racquets are more likely to crack from the heat than others.

TripleB

bradsm01
07-22-2010, 07:41 AM
Just yesterday I left my sticks inside the car at high noon as I stopped at the supermarket. When I got home I noticed how hot my racquets were and they stayed that way for a little while. So imagined an extended period of time - just can't be any good for the internal material composition.

struggle
07-22-2010, 07:44 AM
they have been known to crack/warp when left in a hot trunk.

thermal bags will not prevent this.

your luck may vary.

vsbabolat
07-22-2010, 07:51 AM
Leaving a racquet in the truck of your car is one of the worst things you can do to your racquet.

chollyred
07-22-2010, 08:06 AM
It's even worse in the passenger compartment becasue of all the glass.

A guy on one of the guitar forums I hang out at did an experiment. He took a beater guitar, put a thermometer in the case, and left in the trunk and again in the passenger compartment on days with the same temperatures. He took termperature reading every hour or so during both tests. The passenger compartment was 10-20 degrees hotter than the trunk.

The moral of the story? Don't leave anything that could possibly be impacted by the heat in the car during the summer.

tennisntn3477
07-22-2010, 08:20 AM
Not sure about the specific Dunlop model that the OP is referencing, but the old Max200G frame doesn't handle heat very well at all due to the construction process (injection molding). Saw one that distorted/warped in a major way from a couple of afternoons in a car in a college parking lot.

jsailorca
07-22-2010, 09:00 AM
It's even worse in the passenger compartment becasue of all the glass.

A guy on one of the guitar forums I hang out at did an experiment. He took a beater guitar, put a thermometer in the case, and left in the trunk and again in the passenger compartment on days with the same temperatures. He took termperature reading every hour or so during both tests. The passenger compartment was 10-20 degrees hotter than the trunk.

The moral of the story? Don't leave anything that could possibly be impacted by the heat in the car during the summer.

u read my mind. that was my next question.

<-----------------------not gonna put racquet in car.