PDA

View Full Version : My ring finger touches my palm with 4 1/2" grip....

ph0n33z
07-22-2010, 09:06 AM
Alright,

I am demoing some racquets and so I need to choose a grip size. My cheapy Wilsom walmart special is 4 1/2 and I hurt my thumb playing with it. I think, among some other factors, was due to too small of a grip.

When I hold an eastern forehand grip, my ring finger pushes into my palm. I have literally no space! I'm worried that a 4 5/8 isn't going to be much better. Is it that much bigger? Should I be as concerned about there being no space as I am? Thanks guys!

ph0n33z
07-22-2010, 09:07 AM
I meant I am demoing some racquets to purchase one, not that i need to know grip size in order to demo!

Al1978
07-22-2010, 09:17 AM
You're correct that a 4 1/2 is too small, but 4 5/8 is the largest grip you can get. That extra 1/8" may be sufficient; if not, you can add an overgrip to increase the grip a half-size, or build up the handle with masking tape or other materials. Gamma makes heat-shrink sleeves for increasing the pallet either a half or full size, and TW sells them.

cellofaan
07-22-2010, 09:27 AM
Here's a method to determine your gripsize
http://tennis.about.com/od/racquetsballsstringing/a/findgripsize.htm

As Al1978 said, you can always build up your grip with some sort of tape. Two layers of duct tape all around already makes a huge difference.

Keifers
07-22-2010, 09:41 AM
Having a grip that's appropriately large is important to playing well and staying injury-free.

While you're demoing, adding an overgrip is the best solution. You can adjust the increase in size by varying the amount of overlap you use as you wrap the og.

Once you've bought your own racquet (sounds like you need a 5/8, the largest they make), you can build up the handle using the techniques described above. Or, easier and commonly done, continue to use an overgrip.

ph0n33z
07-22-2010, 10:08 AM
Thanks guys. My demos are coming on the 26th. Which over grip would you recommend? I don't know what kind i like.

Keifers
07-22-2010, 12:07 PM
There are two basic types of overgrips: tacky and dry-feeling (non-tacky).

I happen to like the tacky ones and my faves include: Pacific Xtak Pro, Volkl SuperGrip II and Dunlop Hydratac.

The most well-known non-tacky og is Tournagrip.

You can learn more by looking in the Other Equipment forum.

ph0n33z
07-22-2010, 02:22 PM
There are two basic types of overgrips: tacky and dry-feeling (non-tacky).

I happen to like the tacky ones and my faves include: Pacific Xtak Pro, Volkl SuperGrip II and Dunlop Hydratac.

The most well-known non-tacky og is Tournagrip.

You can learn more by looking in the Other Equipment forum.

Thanks, mate!

Keifers
07-22-2010, 03:33 PM
No worries!

Cheers.