PDA

View Full Version : What brand/type of lead weights to add weight to handle?

Hooked
07-22-2010, 12:07 PM
Looking for opinions on what brand and/or type of lead or steel weights people have had good success using to add weight to the handle of their racquets. Ideally, I'm looking for something the will fit in the tubes under the butt cap with some cotton wrapped around them to keep them in place. I've seen that some people use fishing weights and I see that there are steel ones available in addition to lead. I would prefer to use steel as handling lead is not usually a great idea, but I don't want to buy steel weights that won't fit into the tubes. I assume the steel ones are bigger to achieve the same weight as the lead ones. I'd also rather not use lead tape in the handle or under the grip and I'd like to have a system where I can remove and insert different weights until I get the racquet weight/balance that works best for me. Thanks in advance.

TripleB
07-22-2010, 01:17 PM
While you wait for the experts on lead tape to answer, I'll give you my couple cents worth.

I like the Babolat Lead Tape: http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_Lead_Weight_Tape/descpageBAB-BLT.html

The reason I like it is the fact that 1 inch = 1 gram. Some lead tape is lighter therefore you have to use more to get the same added weight as with the Babolat. When you are using it in a handle (which I did for the first time 2 weeks ago), space seems to be limited so the more weight you can get for the smaller amount of lead tape the better (IMO). It also works nicely and is easily removed from the head of the racquet.

Again, I'm about as far from an expert on lead tape as you can get so please wait for someone else to chime in as well.

TripleB

cellofaan
07-22-2010, 01:19 PM
I've used nails (the steel ones, not fingernails). Taped a bunch of them together, wrapped it in cleenex, and stuffed that into the handle.

Handling steel is hardly any safer than handling lead.

movdqa
07-22-2010, 06:32 PM
I've used nails too. Injected silicone into the handle and then just pressed the nails into the silicone. To remove a nail, just grasp it with a pair of pliers and pull it out.