PDA

View Full Version : Newb Question About Orthotic Insoles

new_tennis_player
07-22-2010, 04:13 PM
I just bought a pair and the instructions tell me to remove the original insole. The problem is, the original appears to be glued on in my particular pair of shoes. I could get them out, but it would be a real excavation job, digging it out chunk by chunk as the glue allows or does not allow.

I just said f it and placed the new insole on top of the old one. It feels a bit odd as the toeroom has shrunk and the heel is raised noticeably.

Should I rip out the old insole as time consuming and aggravating as it might be, or should I try to let the shoe stretch to conform to my foot?

mike53
07-23-2010, 09:48 AM
Dig out the original. Should take less than 5 minutes using a table knife or a small putty knife

new_tennis_player
07-23-2010, 05:58 PM
Thanks for the reply. I'll work on it soon.

I got the sorbothane insoles, recommended by several on this board.

The heel is a bit high and lifts my feet out of the shoes a bit.

Has anyone tried flat sorbothanes without raised heels?

tennisnoob3
07-23-2010, 06:23 PM
You can't place the insole on top of another, it would be impossible to do your foot in. You have to take the original out

new_tennis_player
07-23-2010, 06:43 PM
I got the originals out. The glue was only at the heel and toe, not the middle so I just fished it out by grabbing it in the middle.

I'll give the sorbothanes a proper test run soon.

I may order the flat sorbothanes also. I believe the flat insoles are meant for walking shoes rather than tennis/basketball/running. The flats I would speculate probably offer a little less shock protection, but don't raise the heel so it might feel a bit more natural.

Anyone with experience with either sport or flat feel free to report here.

new_tennis_player
07-23-2010, 08:05 PM
I don't like the sorbo's.

The heel end is very thick. As a result, your whole foot slides forward and down. This results in the toes getting scrunched up in the toebox.

Muy irritating.

I think the only way to make it work is by sizing up half a size, perhaps.

Also, I don't really step forward with or put a lot of pressure on the heel of my foot. I push off, bounce around and put pressure on the ball of my foot. It seems that this area should be generously padded as well.

The engineering is odd, and practically speaking my toes are irritated. It's either size up half sizes from now on, or chuck the sorbo orthotics.

We are not pleased.