PDA

View Full Version : How do you decide if you want to add more weight to the handle or the head?

aksman
07-22-2010, 11:42 PM
I've been leading rackets for years, but always just a little at 3 and 9 on the head. Recently, I've started giving it more thought, and get that lead at 12 o'clock on the head is more polarizing and less stabilizing than lead at 3 and 9, but what about the handle?

How do you decide if you could use more weight in the handle versus the head?

Agent Orynge
07-22-2010, 11:51 PM
A ouija board.

ndhUW
07-23-2010, 06:39 AM
I've been leading rackets for years, but always just a little at 3 and 9 on the head. Recently, I've started giving it more thought, and get that lead at 12 o'clock on the head is more polarizing and less stabilizing than lead at 3 and 9, but what about the handle?

From my experience, after putting lead tape at 12 o'clock, I put the same amount in the handle -- behind the trap door -- to make the racquet less head heavy. In other words, putting lead tape on or in the handle will help you achieve a certain balance in the most effective fashion.

Click on the following link for the TW customization worksheet that will give you an idea of how lead tape works, in terms of balance and swing weight, when placed at different locations:

http://twu.tennis-warehouse.com/learning_center/customizationReverse.php

Last but not least, I recommend experimenting with lead tape on two "identical" racquets by varying one factor -- weight and placement -- at a time, so that you can correlate the difference in feel with certain lead tape placement on the racquet. For instance, one racquet would have lead at 12 o'clock, and the other the same amount of lead at 12 o'clock and an X amount in the handle. Also, create a spreadsheet with different combination of weight and placement of lead tape, so that you can keep track of your experiments.

Good luck.

larry10s
07-23-2010, 06:47 AM

usually i would put more weight in the handle to make a racquet more headlight and/or to offset added weight in the hoop

High Roller
07-23-2010, 07:50 AM
A ouija board.

Or, alternatively, a balance board.

tailofdog
07-23-2010, 11:19 AM
Or, alternatively, a balance board.

Balance board is well the best tool i use to get the most from my racquets.!!

aksman
07-23-2010, 05:53 PM
thanks guys, but i'm more wondering what the result is from a playing standpoint when adding lead to various areas... with respect to plowthrough, stability, static headspeed and momentum through the shot, how it feels on pronation, effect on serve vs groundstroke...

nickarnold2000
07-23-2010, 09:19 PM
If you're not getting enough racket head speed then you should consider making the head lighter ie. taking some lead off. I'm using a tweener that's around 338g and all the lead is placed just up from the handle - so it's very HL. I play at the 5.0 level and have no problems handling heavy balls because the extra R.H.S. takes care of this.

Irvin
07-24-2010, 05:24 AM
What I have heard is that head heavy racket cause physical problems so I do not play with them. I played with a light head heavy racket for about 2 months and when my shoulder started bothering me I sold them. I like to add weight to the 3 and 9 positions too but want to keep my racket Head light. So whenever I add weight to the 3 and 9 position I put weight in the handle either with a heat shrink tube, lead under the grip, or both.

You could use a balance borad (pencil and ruler will work) to keep the balance point the same or try the method I use to match rackets in the link below. You want to try to keep the ratio of the head weight / axis point weight the same.

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=325142

Irvin

Don't Let It Bounce
07-24-2010, 02:45 PM
thanks guys, but i'm more wondering what the result is from a playing standpoint when adding lead to various areas... with respect to plowthrough, stability, static headspeed and momentum through the shot, how it feels on pronation, effect on serve vs groundstroke...The link ndhUW posted will help. So will this one (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/LC/customize.html). As I'm sure you know, there's no substitute for getting out on the court and feeling what various customization schemes do for your own strokes, but those and other TW Learning Center articles are a good place to decide which setups to test.

A ouija board.Or, alternatively, a balance board.I knew a guy who got really obsessive with his balance board, and his racquet bag got possessed by demons.