PDA

View Full Version : How Hard Are Babolats On The Arm, Really?

counterpuncher64
07-23-2010, 03:53 AM
So I want to try the Babolat PD, but I'm really scared that if I like it I'll get really bad tennis elbow (I used to get it easily as a frame). After I switched to the nBlade, which is VERY flexible, I've been able to play with stiff strings such as luxilon big banger, and even kevlar (although I only strung that at around 50), but I'm worried that if I play with stiff frames like Babolats are, then my tennis elbow I had as a kid will come back again.

So despite their stiffness ratings, are Babolats that bad, or can they be managed if you play at a lower string tension? Oh and btw, I won't play with Kevlar, but rather want to try one of those tourna strings.

Head Youtek
07-23-2010, 04:00 AM
So I want to try the Babolat PD, but I'm really scared that if I like it I'll get really bad tennis elbow (I used to get it easily as a frame). After I switched to the nBlade, which is VERY flexible, I've been able to play with stiff strings such as luxilon big banger, and even kevlar (although I only strung that at around 50), but I'm worried that if I play with stiff frames like Babolats are, then my tennis elbow I had as a kid will come back again.

So despite their stiffness ratings, are Babolats that bad, or can they be managed if you play at a lower string tension? Oh and btw, I won't play with Kevlar, but rather want to try one of those tourna strings.

if your looking for something flexible and arm friendly you might want to check out the youtek radical mp from head

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_YOUTEK_Radical_Midplus/descpageRCHEAD-HYTRMP.html

Hellbergarn
07-23-2010, 04:02 AM
Maybe you changed you technique and have become a better tennis player since you was a kid. TE is often more about the technique then the equipment. When I feel my elbow getting sore, it's a good reminder of hip and shoulder movement. Hips don’t lie!

AceKing
07-23-2010, 04:31 AM
Why risk it? It's not like getting the Pure Drive is going to drastically change your skill level. The risk/reward ratio just isn't there. If you've had TE issues in the past, just stay away from the ultra stiff frames.
With that being said, I play with the PDR's and have no problems.

mikeler
07-23-2010, 04:34 AM
I use the Babolat PSTs with soft strings to help keep my golfers elbow under control.

Rockitdog
07-23-2010, 05:16 AM
Try the Pure Drive with some soft strings and that may help counter the frames stiffness.

fuzz nation
07-23-2010, 05:20 AM
I think that everyone has a different level of susceptibility when it comes to tennis elbow, but the wrong gear can magnify any potential for problems. Some of our pals here use stiff racquets with harsh strings, yet have no problems over years of use. Others may have some serious irritation materialize almost out of nowhere while using a seemingly forgiving setup. The combo of technique, gear, and let's call it "individual predisposition" for inflammation in the arm all seem to contribute to the tennis elbow equation.

A friend of mine has used the PD Roddicks for a few years and he is a strong player with a couple years of college experience and very imposing strokes. After switching to a poly hybrid in his Babolats, he suffered a very serious case of tennis elbow and had to stop playing for a few months. He kept after the right therapy, massage, etc. to get healthy again, but he didn't get rid of his frames. He instead switched to full natural gut and has seen no elbow problems since returning to the courts well over a year ago.

Having seen this case of tennis elbow progress in direct relation with my buddy's choice of harsh and forgiving strings, I'm not so quick to make noise against using a stiffer racquet, but I think if you're more at risk with your history of tennis elbow, you'd be smart to at least insist on using soft strings. As a coach, I've even seen very strong high school players sufferer elbow irritation after using poly in heavier, more flexible frames.

As long as you avoid the nasty strings, I think that you're taking a significant step toward protecting yourself, but a less rigid racquet should also be a plus as long as you find one that you like to use. Remember that there's no downside to honing your technique with an occasional lesson and you'll also be better off if you take reasonable steps to improve your strength and endurance.

jnd28
07-23-2010, 05:32 AM
give the volkl PB 8 a try or the becker delta core pro. both are similar kind of rackets to the babolat but are notoriously arm friendly.

pyrokid
07-23-2010, 07:35 AM
The cortex versions were the worst. The APDGT and PDGT are much better about it.
They are worse by most other sticks, but they're not in like a league of their own or anything.
If you didn't get any twinges from your normal racquets and you aren't upping your hours or changing your strokes when you make the switch like I was when I started using one it probably won't matter.

Head Youtek
07-23-2010, 08:27 AM
You know alson the pure drive gt lite is a good one.

staedtler
07-23-2010, 08:36 AM
I had the original APD, and groundstroke wise, I never had issues with my arm. But I did get a little twinge in my shoulder from serving, but that was probably due to poor technique if anything. Id say give it a demo to see how you like it.