Head Youtek
07-23-2010, 04:30 AM
What grip Position do you use on your Forehand.Just curious

SliceForehand
07-23-2010, 07:02 AM
Eastern grip!!

schenkelini
07-23-2010, 08:05 AM
I used to use an eastern, but in my attempt to change to a modern forehand I have switched to and semi-western. I am still in the process of perfecting it, but overall my game is much better than in the past.

Head Youtek
07-23-2010, 08:18 AM
I used to use an eastern, but in my attempt to change to a modern forehand I have switched to and semi-western. I am still in the process of perfecting it, but overall my game is much better than in the past.
What level or NTRP are you.

Slazenger07
07-23-2010, 08:22 AM
Eastern all the way!!!

Mdubb23
07-23-2010, 08:27 AM
Semi-Western. Best suited to today's game. Much more natural than Western, less so than Eastern, but that's a reality I'm willing to sacrifice for the extra spin.

Head Youtek
07-23-2010, 08:31 AM
Semi-Western. Best suited to today's game. Much more natural than Western, less so than Eastern, but that's a reality I'm willing to sacrifice for the extra spin.

im undecided between eastern or semi-western but i play semi-western right now.

Slazenger07
07-23-2010, 08:37 AM

I dont need a SW to get massive topspin. I generate heavier topspin than anybody I play with, using an Eastern Grip, many of them are SW and Western Grip players.

Spin generation is all in the swing path and racquet head speed, if you have those two things down, youre going to hit some serious spin with any grip. Ive gotten so good with the Eastern Grip that handling balls above my head is comfortable and handling them down at my shoe laces is fine too, balls in my strike zone are getting punished. That's why I really love the Eastern Grip, it is diverse, capable of handling balls of any height and capable of easily flattening out shots or generating extremely heavy topspin(with the right swing path).

Head Youtek
07-23-2010, 08:42 AM
I dont need a SW to get massive topspin. I generate heavier topspin than anybody I play with, using an Eastern Grip, many of them are SW and Western Grip players.

Spin generation is all in the swing path and racquet head speed, if you have those two things down, youre going to hit some serious spin with any grip. Ive gotten so good with the Eastern Grip that handling balls above my head is comfortable and handling them down at my shoe laces is fine too, balls in my strike zone are getting punished. That's why I really love the Eastern Grip, it is diverse, capable of handling balls of any height and capable of easily flattening out shots or generating extremely heavy topspin(with the right swing path).

thats true but als on eastern you cant hit shots that bounce shulder high.

Slazenger07
07-23-2010, 08:44 AM

You cant? I hit those types of shots with relative ease. That's how I return almost every kick serve I face. Use a reverse finish and whip up the back of it. It takes some getting used to, but its entirely possible to hit these types of shots with Eastern

xFullCourtTenniSx
07-23-2010, 09:08 AM

Funny thing... My hitting with an eastern has difficulties on low balls sometimes just because of how much top I get on the ball by getting under it. I end up trying to flick them high and deep or at an angle with sidespin.

No. Balls that bounce shoulder high get CRUSHED.

xFullCourtTenniSx
07-23-2010, 09:08 AM
You cant? I hit those types of shots with relative ease. That's how I return almost every kick serve I face. Use a reverse finish and whip up the back of it. It takes some getting used to, but its entirely possible to hit these types of shots with Eastern

Nah dude, just crush it out in front. Reverse finish if for balls you catch late or actually let bounce well above your head.

GorillaPeanuts
07-23-2010, 05:18 PM
Extreme Western (: 4.0

flashfire276
07-23-2010, 05:32 PM
Western FTW!!!

GoSurfBoy
07-23-2010, 09:39 PM
I use whatever I choose at that moment to get what I want the ball to do, based on what's coming, what I want to set up, what the opponent like least, etc., so I'll go from Eastern to full Western, even Continental for a heavy slice approach shot.

I don't even think about the grip, I think about the shot, and my hand just moves to what I want to do, without really conscious thought.

That leaves me free to try to move my feet correctly...which I suck at...lol

Head Youtek
07-24-2010, 09:02 AM
Extreme Western (: 4.0

hows your wrist.

Head Youtek
07-24-2010, 09:02 AM
I use whatever I choose at that moment to get what I want the ball to do, based on what's coming, what I want to set up, what the opponent like least, etc., so I'll go from Eastern to full Western, even Continental for a heavy slice approach shot.

I don't even think about the grip, I think about the shot, and my hand just moves to what I want to do, without really conscious thought.

That leaves me free to try to move my feet correctly...which I suck at...lol

If it works for you than using every grip is ok.

phoenicks
07-24-2010, 09:17 AM
Semi Western FTW

BounceHitBounceHit
07-24-2010, 09:24 AM
I actually vary the grip according to the circumstances in the point and shot I am trying to execute, but with time to set up and swing, I use something very close to a semi-western. ;) BHBH

slide13
07-24-2010, 10:39 AM
I tend to vary some. Eastern for serve returns a lot, eastern or sw for most groundstrokes. Roll it over to continental fore a forehand slice.

stronzzi70
07-24-2010, 11:07 AM
My grip is Modern Eastern.

Mr_Shiver
07-24-2010, 12:57 PM

Amen brother!

aimr75
07-24-2010, 04:07 PM
between eastern / SW

Djoker_69
07-24-2010, 04:34 PM
i play with a 3/4 western. its inbetween a semi western and a western.

MLtennis
07-24-2010, 04:44 PM
Eastern now - used to be Semi Western to almost Western. I tried moving to the modern forehand as many of my hitting partners use it and even teachers tried to get me to use it. Super cool shots for sure, but my wrist began to give me tons of trouble so I got frustrated and tried fixing other things. Finally another teacher said go back to the Eastern - no more pain. Now I will use a semi-western when approaching the net and getting a low ball - that grip tends to give me more spin and I can put it in a corner to prep for the volley to end the point. Otherwise the Eastern is far flatter for me and gives my opponents a lot of trouble - mainly because most people they hit against are hitting with more top spin - and most use a western or semi-western grip with the windshield wiper motion. I use a straight back motion as I turn to my right, coil and then bend at the knees and hit up and through the ball. Sort of Murray or Soderling style (for reference, I WISH I could hit it like either of these cats). Good look choosing for yourself, it will take time getting used to one or the other if you're switching.

Kirko
07-24-2010, 04:45 PM
and a big grip worked all these years. seem with the big grip I can drive the ball and hit topspin which I use as an alternate shot (moon-ball) that's it.

Head Youtek
07-26-2010, 03:50 AM
I think Semi-Western is the most popular grip. So far.

AceInYourFace
07-26-2010, 07:41 PM
the correct answer is ... it depends on the incoming ball, modern players should have options, i routinely use anything from a continental to full western depending on the shot, and i use them all in a hitting session and/or match, although my standard grip is an "extreme eastern" haha not eastern and not quite semi western ....

Bottom_Edge
07-26-2010, 09:07 PM
SW, as keeping the same grip for 1HBH means I never have to change grip on groundies

sargeinaz
07-26-2010, 11:55 PM
between eastern / SW

Yup, exactly what I use. I was using this before I even know there were grips for certain shots. Just feels most natural.

lonux
07-27-2010, 12:43 AM
Although I voted for extreme western, I use a semi-western grip :)

Used to have an extreme western grip, but it felt so unnatural and was so hard to use.