PDA

View Full Version : TT SkiClub 2010-11 Season

skyzoo
07-25-2010, 08:47 AM
Who's excited for the upcoming season? I've got a 7 week winter break ahead of me and I'm already planning for a pretty sick winter.

Tell of your plans this winter

Memorable Ski Spots...etc

Some Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HGeLSaOoZtI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1n46yJOW4HI&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWsgh7Gmisk&feature=related

r2473
07-25-2010, 09:31 AM
I ski Alta / Snowbird a half dozen times or so a year......of course they are right in my backyard.

Snowbird was still skiable on July 4. You should have come down.

skyzoo
07-25-2010, 09:36 AM
I ski Alta / Snowbird a half dozen times or so a year......of course they are right in my backyard.

Only half a dozen times a year? and they're in your backyard? Sounds like you're not using your resources properly. I ski East Coast so West is more or less a once in a while trip. Would have loved a mid summer ski-trip though.

NickC
07-25-2010, 10:38 AM

My sister is working at Alta as a Ski Instructor this upcoming winter. I for one cannot wait to take advantage of the fact that she gets free lift tickets, and since I'm moving to Arizona in 3 weeks I'm going to be within a 2 hour flight to her house!

r2473
07-25-2010, 02:17 PM
Only half a dozen times a year? and they're in your backyard? Sounds like you're not using your resources properly. I ski East Coast so West is more or less a once in a while trip. Would have loved a mid summer ski-trip though.

I've turned into a "Utah ski snob". I've been out here about 10 years. For a couple years I had a season pass and went nearly every day. I sort of skied myself out. Now I only go up on really good powder days. A lot of locals turn into this. You can't go skiing too often if you have a family and work, so you only go on the very best days.

Snowbird stays open all summer. Mostly they have concerts and other things to get people to spend money on beer (which works on me). But they do run their tram all year for sightseers. We had snow in June so people did ski on the 4th of July out here. I also have lots of friends that hike to ski and they have been skiing (some) in July too. It's not great skiing, don't get me wrong. People do it just to say they did it.

My sister is working at Alta as a Ski Instructor this upcoming winter. I for one cannot wait to take advantage of the fact that she gets free lift tickets, and since I'm moving to Arizona in 3 weeks I'm going to be within a 2 hour flight to her house!

Alta is my favorite. It is definitely worth a few flights out here next winter if your sister can get you free passes. I'm sure your sister will let you know when the big dumps are coming / come and you can just hop a quick flight out. Alta is only a half hour drive from the Salt Lake airport.

badkitty
08-01-2010, 05:50 PM
I picked up a set of line prophet 100s in June and can't wait to try them out in the upcoming 2010-11 season. The snow in 2009-2010 was perfect (I ski in Tahoe). If this season is only half as good as the last.

Praying to the El Nino gods...

spaceman_spiff
08-02-2010, 01:46 AM
I picked up a set of line prophet 100s in June and can't wait to try them out in the upcoming 2010-11 season. The snow in 2009-2010 was perfect (I ski in Tahoe). If this season is only half as good as the last.

Praying to the El Nino gods...

Prophets are nice sticks. I skied on them for a couple of seasons. I was shocked at how easy it was to carve short-radius turns on them without having to resort to skidding. Of course, the width is nice for going in the trees and other powder stashes.

08-03-2010, 06:27 AM
I broke my right tibia and fractured my right ankle @ Snowbasin back in mid-January in the middle of my annual ski vacation. I'm a strong skier and had an unlucky forward twisting fall. Had surgery in Ogden next day and now have a titanium IM rod in my tibia and one screw in my ankle forever. Never had an external cast. I hit physio and the gym very hard and it's been 6.5 months post-op and I've been playing tennis at about 80% of my 4.5+ level for about a month now. Still have some ankle pain during rotational/twisting movements, and landing after jumping/leaping, but can play fairly well overall. Hope to be able to ski this winter. I'm a better skier than tennis player but if all I can do is ski groomers the rst of my life, I'll take it.

I really need to ski again so I can redeem the lost 1/2 week my ski partner suffered taking care of me back in January - I ruined the second 1/2 of his annual ski trip. I owe him!

FloridaAG
08-03-2010, 06:36 AM
Will be headed to Park City once or twice this season as usual

spaceman_spiff
08-03-2010, 08:14 AM
I'll most likely start out with a mid-December trip to Val d'Isere and maybe end with a March trip somewhere in Switzerland or France (haven't decided).

January and February are where it gets interesting. If my brother decides he wants to fly over in Feb, I'll take him to my favorite secret place in Italy and maybe go to Verbier or St. Anton in Jan.

But, if he decides to come over in Jan (going to the secret spot in Italy), I might just decide to blow all my money on a trip to Japan in Feb. It's expensive, but really tempting.

skyzoo
08-03-2010, 03:13 PM
I'll most likely start out with a mid-December trip to Val d'Isere and maybe end with a March trip somewhere in Switzerland or France (haven't decided).

January and February are where it gets interesting. If my brother decides he wants to fly over in Feb, I'll take him to my favorite secret place in Italy and maybe go to Verbier or St. Anton in Jan.

But, if he decides to come over in Jan (going to the secret spot in Italy), I might just decide to blow all my money on a trip to Japan in Feb. It's expensive, but really tempting.

I suggest blowing all your money on skiing. It's very well worth it and you will not regret it at all. I need disposable income...

basil J
08-03-2010, 03:23 PM
I just paid for my seasonal rental up in the Franconia notch area in NH. I have a 3 & 7 year old in ski programs at Cannon. I used to ski Tahoe and Alta a few times a year before the kids came. Now it is all about them and I marvel at how quickly they learn. My 7 year old will be running gates this year and already is carving nice turns. The 3 year old is moving uo to greens & Blue runs this year. As soon as they could walk, I strapped on the sticks. If I could ski everyday, life would be perfect. For now it is Cannon, Jay Peak and Sugarloaf. In a few years we will be back out west.

skyzoo
08-03-2010, 03:39 PM
I just paid for my seasonal rental up in the Franconia notch area in NH. I have a 3 & 7 year old in ski programs at Cannon. I used to ski Tahoe and Alta a few times a year before the kids came. Now it is all about them and I marvel at how quickly they learn. My 7 year old will be running gates this year and already is carving nice turns. The 3 year old is moving uo to greens & Blue runs this year. As soon as they could walk, I strapped on the sticks. If I could ski everyday, life would be perfect. For now it is Cannon, Jay Peak and Sugarloaf. In a few years we will be back out west.

Jay Peaks not so bad. I skied there this winter and conditions were quite great. Make sure you don't ski there on weekends or holiday's or you wont be able to hit the peak. Lines can get pretty outrageous.

Kevin T
08-03-2010, 04:04 PM
I'll be hitting Squaw Valley, Northstar and Sugar Bowl multiple times from late November to May. Lucky me! :) My Dad-in-law prefers Sugar Bowl (closer and cheaper than Squaw with good terrain), so I tend to hit it a lot. I also make my annual trek to SLC during the winter Outdoor Retail Show in late January to meet up with good friends from the east coast that work in the industry. Three days of free lift tickets to Snowbird, Solitude and Brighton. Some years we'll stay a day or two longer and do Park City (no Alta 'cause most of those guys snowboard). Always wanted to hit the Ogden area but never have. I'll also do a few Virginia or West Virginia hills when home to visit family. I really like Snowshoe in WVA and though it's like skiing a small hill, I have fond memories from my youth visiting Wintergreen and Massanutten in the Charlottesville, VA area. Can't wait for winter!

spaceman_spiff
08-04-2010, 01:03 AM
I suggest blowing all your money on skiing. It's very well worth it and you will not regret it at all. I need disposable income...

No doubt. The only question is where to blow it. If I'm on my own in February, I will definitely be doing an off-piste group thing. I just have to choose which one to do. Japan looks very tempting, but there are others going to cool places in the Alps that time of year as well, which is much closer/cheaper for me.

Tough call.

Alwaysunny
08-26-2010, 08:06 AM
Greatest Video of all time?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TviiWKOM950&feature=related

r2473
08-26-2010, 08:28 AM
Greatest Video of all time?

That would be this one:

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/3284478/9247154

Alwaysunny
08-26-2010, 09:23 AM
That would be this one:

http://uk.video.yahoo.com/watch/3284478/9247154

You sir, are the problem with society today....

Two thumbs up

GRANITECHIEF
10-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Appropriate time for thread revival.

http://forums.mammothmountain.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8079&sid=7e356f92e98f01cb1740b786b91bec97&start=105

spaceman_spiff
10-06-2010, 03:01 AM
Appropriate time for thread revival.

http://forums.mammothmountain.com/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=8079&sid=7e356f92e98f01cb1740b786b91bec97&start=105

Unfortunately on the east side of the Atlantic, everything is warming up. It's depressing.

Fedfan1995
10-06-2010, 06:46 PM
I live in Vancouver so lucky me i go to Whistler every sunday (best skiing in North America IMHO). i got prophet 90's for those powdery days and some rossignol elite 10's for 599$ (normally 1300$) im super exited for this season :P

GRANITECHIEF
10-07-2010, 11:03 AM
Whislter sucks. Blackcomb is waaaay better!!!

r2473
10-07-2010, 12:47 PM
Whislter sucks.

Really? Wow, you must be quite an expert if Whistler "sucks".

Weren't you just touting "Mammoth" a few posts ago?????

GRANITECHIEF
10-07-2010, 04:37 PM
HAHA J/K!! I agree that Whist/Black is best on the continent. Hope to spend more time there in the near future.

I have a buddy that is a very good tennis player in Vancouver. He used to live in Kauai and now is in Business School there.

He's not much of a skier/rider though, yet!!

GRANITECHIEF
11-18-2010, 08:40 AM
Friday Night And Saturday Morning...a Major Winter Snow Storm Will Be Developing Above 5500-6500ft Msl Along The Cold Front. Snow Levels By Saturday Afternoon Will Fall To Roughly 3500ft Msl And Locally Lower Levels Are Expected Along The Rim Of
The Northern Sacramento Valley...sierra Foothills. Based On The Ensemble Qpf...upwards Of 2-3 Feet Of New Snowfall Is Expected. !!

Over The Sierra Above 6000-6500ft Msl By Saturday Afternoon.

N23
11-18-2010, 09:23 AM
^ Ya, this weekend there's a big storm coming our way. Hopefully it'll dump some snow so we can start the ski season. I'm no black diamond guy but enjoy the runs while it lasts.

GRANITECHIEF
11-18-2010, 10:12 AM
$15 dollar lift tickets at Boreal tomorrow. Good deal for some early season fun. Close to Sac.

N23
11-18-2010, 10:17 AM
^ Cough cough.

GRANITECHIEF
11-18-2010, 11:00 AM
hhhaaaaachhhhooooo! Sick day!

spaceman_spiff
11-19-2010, 01:22 AM
Doesn't it just suck the way that big snow storms make you sick and force you to miss work? ;)

r2473
11-21-2010, 06:43 AM
Alta / Snowbird have had 100" snowfall this season and a 50" base already. Expecting another 6" today and a foot or more tomorrow.

GRANITECHIEF
11-23-2010, 12:26 AM
Good golly, it just won't stop. What are we up to in the sierra's now for this storm series, 6-7 ft?

http://www.tahoetopia.com/weather/western-regional-satellite-radar

And i can already tell that when i play in the Mens 40's National Indoor Champs in Park City, that the snowboarding is going to freaking rock!!!

r2473
11-29-2010, 12:44 PM
Alta / Snowbird have had 100" snowfall this season and a 50" base already. Expecting another 6" today and a foot or more tomorrow.

Up to a 60" base with 136" of snow to date.

Salt Lake and surrounding just got dumped on the past 48 hours. 21" in the last 48 hours at "The Bird". We got about 12" in most places in the valley.

Eph
11-29-2010, 03:37 PM
I miss skiing. Maybe in another life... :(

GRANITECHIEF
12-16-2010, 08:59 AM
* Snow Accumulations: 15 To 30 Inches Are Possible At Lake Level
With 3 To 6 Feet Above 7000 Feet. Higher Amounts May Occur
Along The Sierra Crest And Along The West Shore Of Lake Tahoe.

GRANITECHIEF
12-16-2010, 02:58 PM
Yesterday at Heavenly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m-5Bs_mdsn4

gavna
12-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Christmas and New Years at Tremblant for 2 weeks - we leave monday - then for 2011 a few trips to Taos and Red River in NM, Alta, Solitude and the Canyons in UT with some short trips to Timberline, Mammoth, Baker and maybe Tahoe in CA.
In March a 10 day stay in Meribel, France we have been skiing there since I was 5.

spaceman_spiff
01-14-2011, 03:19 AM
Well, I'm heading to St. Anton tomorrow. I'll try to post some pics when I get back.

I'm a little worried about the snow. It's been getting well above freezing in the afternoons, so I'm expecting crust in the mornings and slush in the afternoons unless a major cold front pushes through soon.

N23
01-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Hit up Kirkwood Friday. Awesome snow and sunny day. Low 50s and felt like spring. Hopefully it starts snowing again as it's only January and the snow might start melting away.

FloridaAG
01-24-2011, 12:31 PM
One month until Utah

r2473
01-24-2011, 12:38 PM
One month until Utah

Where are you skiing? Are you playing in the Park City tournament?

It was really good earlier in the season. Not been so great lately.

FloridaAG
01-24-2011, 01:02 PM
I am a decent but by no means great skier (started skiing when I was around 30or so) and our friends who live in PC ski and work at Deer Valley so I usually score free passes and that is where we ski.

r2473
01-24-2011, 01:07 PM
Park City hosts a tennis tournament that I thought perhaps you were playing in, but I guess that is in April. I think Granitechef said he plays in this and tries to do a little spring skiing too:

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=96541

You should have a great time. It has been a really good ski year. Best in a long time. It is just that we hit sort of a little "dead spot" for the past little while. We are all hoping it picks back up and we get plenty more fresh powder.

Guess you are coming up a little late for Sundance too.

http://www.sundance.org/festival/

FloridaAG
01-24-2011, 01:25 PM
Our friend is an entertainment writer and the only time we are not allowed to visit is Sundance time - and we boycott Presidents Day by choice

and I am not quite 40 yet

PeterPanda
01-24-2011, 02:35 PM
I snowboard at Ski Sundown in Ct real tiny mountain but nice.

r2473
01-24-2011, 02:55 PM
and we boycott Presidents Day by choice

I've started calling it "dubya day" :)

GRANITECHIEF
01-24-2011, 04:53 PM
Park City hosts a tennis tournament that I thought perhaps you were playing in, but I guess that is in April. I think Granitechef said he plays in this and tries to do a little spring skiing too:

http://tennislink.usta.com/Tournaments/TournamentHome/Tournament.aspx?T=96541

You should have a great time. It has been a really good ski year. Best in a long time. It is just that we hit sort of a little "dead spot" for the past little while. We are all hoping it picks back up and we get plenty more fresh powder.

Guess you are coming up a little late for Sundance too.

http://www.sundance.org/festival/

I just noticed from your link that they moved the time of the Nats 40's indoors from March 1 (usually much better snow conditions) to April. That kinda sux. Last year, i got a full on powder day at snowbird after the tournament. Also it will be in Salt Lake this year instead of Park City. Thats only 5000 ft elevation instead of 7500 ft, now my serve won't be as effective@!!

GRANITECHIEF
01-24-2011, 04:54 PM
Hit up Kirkwood Friday. Awesome snow and sunny day. Low 50s and felt like spring. Hopefully it starts snowing again as it's only January and the snow might start melting away.

Sounds like you had a good time. Was the snow still OK off the groomed areas, since it hasn't snowed in 3 weeks?

N23
01-24-2011, 06:46 PM
^ I didn't hit the diamonds much, not that gung ho, but even with no snow in the past few weeks, it was still packable and in some spots, carvable. I'm sure up top on the ridge it was different but where I was it was a blast.

r2473
01-25-2011, 10:26 AM
I just noticed from your link that they moved the time of the Nats 40's indoors from March 1 (usually much better snow conditions) to April. That kinda sux. Last year, i got a full on powder day at snowbird after the tournament. Also it will be in Salt Lake this year instead of Park City. Thats only 5000 ft elevation instead of 7500 ft, now my serve won't be as effective@!!

That sucks. I don't like spring skiing too much. You can still good days in early April though. March is actually statistically the biggest month for snowfall.

Curious, do they use high altitude balls for the event? I assume so.

GRANITECHIEF
01-25-2011, 11:54 AM
I'm sure it will still be fun, maybe just downgraded slightly in terms of snow conditions. But that is just a secondary bonus anyway.

I saw the renderings for the new facility they're building in Park City and OMG!! its going to be amazing.

Oh yeah, high altitude balls fo sho. Otherwise it would be all two shot tennis.

PS. I'm doing the snowdance for the high pressure to break down and open up the storm door. I really want/need new snow/powder for my bday weekend at the beginning of FEB!!! Any body else going to Tahoe/Squaw Valley that weekend for some of this:

http://s15.photobucket.com/albums/a356/granitechief/?action=view&current=MVI_0951.mp4&mediafilter=videos#!oZZ11QQcurrentZZhttp%3A%2F%2Fs 15.photobucket.com%2Falbums%2Fa356%2Fgranitechief% 2F%3Faction%3Dview%26current%3DMVI_0929.mp4%26medi afilter%3Dvideos

r2473
01-25-2011, 01:05 PM
Oh yeah, high altitude balls fo sho. Otherwise it would be all two shot tennis.

We used to break out the non-high altitude balls on the unsuspecting at the park for laughs sometimes. I just didn't know if high altitude balls were used in national-type events. Do you know if the ATP uses high altitude balls for any of their events? Like Mexico City or something?

I'll have to take a look and see what the new club will look like. It's in Park City, so I imagine they will make it pretty nice.

PeterPanda
01-25-2011, 01:41 PM
We used to break out the non-high altitude balls on the unsuspecting at the park for laughs sometimes. I just didn't know if high altitude balls were used in national-type events. Do you know if the ATP uses high altitude balls for any of their events? Like Mexico City or something?

I'll have to take a look and see what the new club will look like. It's in Park City, so I imagine they will make it pretty nice.

Mt.Everest? K2? lol:)

GRANITECHIEF
01-28-2011, 03:07 PM
Watches and WarningsOlympic Valley Forecast ...WINTER WEATHER SET TO RETURN SATURDAY NIGHT AND SUNDAY...

AFTER NEARLY A MONTH OF MILD AND DRY WEATHER...AN AREA OF LOW
PRESSURE WILL MOVE THROUGH CALIFORNIA SATURDAY NIGHT AND INTO
SUNDAY...BRINGING SNOW TO THE EASTERN SIERRA AND PORTIONS OF
WESTERN NEVADA.

THE HIGHEST ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED IN THE EASTERN SIERRA EARLY
SUNDAY MORNING THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON. ABOVE 7000 FEET...5 TO
10 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE WITH LOCALLY OVER A FOOT ALONG THE SIERRA
CREST FROM TAHOE TO MONO COUNTY. BELOW 7000 FEET IN THE SIERRA
THERE IS POTENTIAL FOR 3 TO 6 INCHES OF SNOW...INCLUDING THE LAKE
TAHOE BASIN.

UP TO AN INCH OR TWO WILL BE POSSIBLE DOWN TO THE DESERT VALLEY
FLOORS OF WESTERN NEVADA AND NORTHEASTERN CALIFORNIA...ESPECIALLY
ALONG THE HIGHWAY 395 CORRIDOR. LIGHT TO MODERATE SNOW SHOWERS ARE
EXPECTED THROUGHOUT THE DAY ON SUNDAY WITH MUCH COLDER CONDITIONS
THROUGH NEXT WEEK.

SNOW WILL CAUSE TRAVEL DELAYS SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH MONDAY
MORNING ALONG PORTIONS OF INTERSTATE 80 AND 395...AS WELL AS OTHER
HIGHWAYS AND MOUNTAIN PASSES IN THE SIERRA. TRAVELERS SHOULD STAY
TUNED TO THE FORECAST...AND PLAN FOR EXTRA TRAVEL TIME TO REACH
THEIR DESTINATIONS.

N23
01-28-2011, 11:51 PM
^ about time. :)

dParis
02-03-2011, 12:36 PM
I was going through my gear in prep for a week in Crested Butte and I decided that I need a new, warmer hat. I could use new ski gloves as well. Does anyone have suggestions on those two pieces of gear? Style-wise, I'm not necessarily looking for the latest fad. I lean more towards practicality and simple, timeless designs. Also, suggestions for a bricks and mortar store to pick them up would be beneficial.

FloridaAG
02-03-2011, 12:50 PM
Ditch the hat and wear a helmet.

GRANITECHIEF
02-03-2011, 01:03 PM
I was going through my gear in prep for a week in Crested Butte and I decided that I need a new, warmer hat. I could use new ski gloves as well. Does anyone have suggestions on those two pieces of gear? Style-wise, I'm not necessarily looking for the latest fad. I lean more towards practicality and simple, timeless designs. Also, suggestions for a bricks and mortar store to pick them up would be beneficial.

REI is brick/mortar and has good sale deals.

I second the use of a helmet over a hat.

http://www.rei.com/product/805314

http://www.rei.com/product/814370

http://www.rei.com/outlet/search?search=Skiing&cat=22000009&cat=29359836&jxGender=Men%27s&cat=29359849&hist=cat%2C22000009%3ASkiing+and+Snowboarding%5Ese arch%2CSkiing%5Ecat%2C29359836%3AGloves%2C+Hats+an d+Socks%5EjxGender%2CMen%27s%5Ecat%2C29359849%3AWa rm+Hats

FloridaAG
02-03-2011, 01:35 PM
3 weeks til Utah trip.

r2473
02-03-2011, 01:39 PM
^^ Be glad that you aren't here now. It is windy and cold. Hopefully some damn snow starts to fall.

http://www.snowbird.com/ski_board/snowreport.php

FloridaAG
02-03-2011, 01:48 PM
^^ Be glad that you aren't here now. It is windy and cold. Hopefully some damn snow starts to fall.

I know - my Utah friends have been whining. Definitely need some snow but mostly a little warmer so my wife does not freeze and complain the whole time

dParis
02-04-2011, 07:54 AM
Ditch the hat and wear a helmet.

REI is brick/mortar and has good sale deals.

I second the use of a helmet over a hat.

http://www.rei.com/product/805314

http://www.rei.com/product/814370

http://www.rei.com/outlet/search?search=Skiing&cat=22000009&cat=29359836&jxGender=Men%27s&cat=29359849&hist=cat%2C22000009%3ASkiing+and+Snowboarding%5Ese arch%2CSkiing%5Ecat%2C29359836%3AGloves%2C+Hats+an d+Socks%5EjxGender%2CMen%27s%5Ecat%2C29359849%3AWa rm+Hats
I've never used a helmet for skiing but I'm considering. My wife just picked up the Bern Brentwood. Thanks for the suggestions.

dParis
02-18-2011, 10:34 AM
Crested Butte (Mountain and Town) was as great as I remember. No new snow while I was there, but temps were in the high 30's. Taking runs in just a bib and jersey was one of the best feelings I've ever had on the mountain. :)

Gear question: I saw a lot of outer layer gear and I sense my setup is way out of date, heavy and cumbersome. Saw some nice gear by Mammut and Westcomb. What are your thoughts on outer layers with a wide weather condition profile?

r2473
02-18-2011, 10:44 AM
Wear what you find comfortable and makes $$$ sense. I get the feeling that you ski one week each year or so?

Personally, I wear running tights and a light long sleeved poly shirt as a base layer. Then just an old crappy cotton turtle neck, ski pants, and a "parka" type shell (no lining). I like the parka style for the length. It goes to a few inches above the knees. Keeps the snow out of pants if I take a spill.

I don't put a lot of stock in fancy / "technical" ski clothes (or fancy tennis clothes, or fancy running clothes, etc.)

Now, having said that, I did make sure that my boots fit to perfection. Nothing worse than crappy ski boots. Your whole day is ruined if your feet start to hurt or are even a little uncomfortable. I also spent $$$ on a nice pair of ski gloves. Your hands have got to stay warm. I also hate the big puffy gloves. I like my fingers to still work in the gloves so I don't have to keep taking them on and off.

Oh, and bring your camelback along. Can never get too much water out there.

Kevin T
02-18-2011, 10:45 AM
Crested Butte (Mountain and Town) was as great as I remember. No new snow while I was there, but temps were in the high 30's. Taking runs in just a bib and jersey was one of the best feelings I've ever had on the mountain. :)

Gear question: I saw a lot of outer layer gear and I sense my setup is way out of date, heavy and cumbersome. Saw some nice gear by Mammut and Westcomb. What are your thoughts on outer layers with a wide weather condition profile?

I'm a fan of lighter soft shell jackets when skiing in the Sierras here in Cali or Utah. Temps are usually mild (high 20's-high 30's) and you just don't need the older insulated, heavy jackets. I typically ski in a light to medium weight merino wool base layer (I like Icebreaker and Ibex) with a close-fitting midweight fleece jacket (I'm a Cloudveil man here but the Patagonia R2 is a fantastic mid layer) or vest (Cloudveil Run Don't Walk) when it's warmer. Top it off with a midweight soft shell; light, nice and stretchy/moves with you, water resistant. The beauty of the soft shell is that I can wear it on cool summer nights to cold winter day (really all but the coldest weather with good layers). I can also use this stuff for running, hiking, etc. The only ski-specific gear I own are skiis, gloves, goggles. Cloudveil has been bought and sold a few times in the last few years but you can get some killer deals on high quality stuff at level nine sports dot com.

FloridaAG
02-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Keep in mind I am from South Florida and a total wuss.

I wear base layer- nothing fancy or expensive - REI and I have one merino wool hybrid top. Fleece, Ski Jacket which also has a fleece lining and lined ski pants. If it is warm I remove the fleece layer. Also wear a gator and a helmet.

Own boots and skies - definitely would not wear anything except for my personal boots - most important piece of gear.

dParis
02-18-2011, 11:34 AM
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Wear what you find comfortable and makes $$$ sense. I get the feeling that you ski one week each year or so?

I don't put a lot of stock in fancy / "technical" ski clothes (or fancy tennis clothes, or fancy running clothes, etc.)

Once or twice a week per year if I'm lucky. I do have to deal with long, cold Chicago winters so I could re-purpose any gear for non skiing outdoor activity.

The name on the clothing doesn't matter too much to me, but I don't mind nice style in clothing and Mammut and Westcomb stood out in the looks and comfort departments from what I tried.

There have been improvements in materials from a weight to warmth ratio perspective as well as moisture management, breathability and wind resistance. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks if the quality is there. It's not like I'm going to run out and buy new duds every season. High quality, built to last is what I like most.

r2473
02-18-2011, 11:40 AM
Find what you like.

Personally, I simply don't like the technical stuff (generally), but most people do. Just so it is comfortable for you. Sometimes I buy the high priced stuff, sometimes not. Sometimes the cheap stuff just works better for me (and the expensive stuff is really overdone to the point that it doesn't even "work" anymore).

For the most part, a shell is a shell. I don't notice the expensive ones being better for the task (though the quality is nice I'll grant you). For a base layer, I just like light poly instead of anything cotton (I even have light poly socks under my Smart Wool's). For layering, it just depends on how thick you want the stuff. I like to have simple light, thin cotton shirts. I just don't like fleece (and most people love it).

But you ski quite a lot. Where do you go? I grew up in Iowa, so I know the skiing in that area.

dParis
02-18-2011, 12:06 PM
Once or twice a week per year if I'm lucky.
:roll:
EDIT: One or two weeks per year... :oops:

Kevin T
02-18-2011, 12:13 PM
Thanks for the suggestions so far.

Once or twice a week per year if I'm lucky. I do have to deal with long, cold Chicago winters so I could re-purpose any gear for non skiing outdoor activity.

The name on the clothing doesn't matter too much to me, but I don't mind nice style in clothing and Mammut and Westcomb stood out in the looks and comfort departments from what I tried.

There have been improvements in materials from a weight to warmth ratio perspective as well as moisture management, breathability and wind resistance. I don't mind spending a few extra bucks if the quality is there. It's not like I'm going to run out and buy new duds every season. High quality, built to last is what I like most.

Westcomb and Mammut make really good stuff. One of my best friends is the buyer for an outdoor retailer on the east coast and is high on Mammut. I like Mammut but their stuff doesn't fit me well. I'm one of those guys that doesn't mind spending $$ on good stuff but will wear it until it falls apart. I have a 6 year old Cloudveil soft shell that I swear has barely lost a stitch and that's with year-round use. My Icebreaker and Ibex merino wool layers are also ~ 5 years old. Some things are worth the $ and a good soft shell and merino wool base layers fall in that category, IMHO. The great thing about merino is it never gets stinky. I never pay retail and luckily live a short drive from a Patagonia outlet. I also like sierratradingpost and geartrade or levelninesports for good, cheap gear.

r2473
02-18-2011, 12:20 PM
I also like sierratradingpost

This place used to have (10 years ago) great deals on some of the best stuff. Now, the deals just don't seem so great.

Have you ever been to one of their stores? I've been to the Cheyenne store a few times (but years ago). They had tons of great deals that never made it into the catalog.

My older brother can still get great deals because he can wear men's medium and that is always in the bargain barn.

I pass level nine sports everyday on the way into work, but I've never been in there before.

GRANITECHIEF
02-18-2011, 12:34 PM
Up to six new feet of snow at Squaw Valley (sierras) and more on the way. Very cold storm so light and dry powder.

Headed up tonite, which i'm sure will be challenging, but oh man, all that new snow sure will make conditions epic. Anybody else headin for Tahoe this weekend?

r2473
02-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Tahoe sucks :)

I'll be at Alta this weekend. Hoping for some new snow. Lots.

Kevin T
02-18-2011, 01:14 PM
This place used to have (10 years ago) great deals on some of the best stuff. Now, the deals just don't seem so great.

Have you ever been to one of their stores? I've been to the Cheyenne store a few times (but years ago). They had tons of great deals that never made it into the catalog.

My older brother can still get great deals because he can wear men's medium and that is always in the bargain barn.

I pass level nine sports everyday on the way into work, but I've never been in there before.

Yeah, Sierra was better back then. I've been to the outlets in Cheyenne (stopped by on a cross-country trip a couple of years back) and Reno. During the winter, you can get very nice English-made wool sweaters for 30% of retail. I have some awesome merino cardigans with leather elbow patches. Sometimes I like to sit by the fire sporting my cardigan, glasses and pipe with a good book and feel smug/smarter than everyone else. :)

But seriously, Sierra is great for things like sleeping bags, tents, boots, etc.

As for Level Nine, check it out. I bought a pair of Fischer skis from them (previous year Watea model) last year for <$300.

Kevin T
02-18-2011, 01:15 PM
Up to six new feet of snow at Squaw Valley (sierras) and more on the way. Very cold storm so light and dry powder.

Headed up tonite, which i'm sure will be challenging, but oh man, all that new snow sure will make conditions epic. Anybody else headin for Tahoe this weekend?

I'm in the 'maybe' category, depending on the willingness of Grandpeeps to watch the kids. :) Not heading up from Sacto tonight, though. Not interested in making a 2 hour trip 5 hours. :)

r2473
02-18-2011, 01:30 PM
As for Level Nine, check it out. I bought a pair of Fischer skis from them (previous year Watea model) last year for <$300.

I bought some Rossi B83 with the Axial2 120 bindings. For some reason there were just tons of these around last year (or was it the year before). Just good all mountain skis, which is all I need. I'm not a great skier and certainly don't need anything too fancy.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/3074,38915_Rossignol-Bandit-B83-Alpine-Skis-with-Axial2-120-Bindings-.html

Some Canadian seller on Fbay sold me the ski's and bindings brand new for $300 shipped. I called them before I bought it. They are just a massive liquidator for this sort of stuff. Forgot their name though.

And Rossi is great for me because there is a one here in Utah (used to be in Centerville, but looks like Park City now). I snapped a ski in half some years ago and just drove up there. They gave me full credit toward a new pair, so I basically just grabbed them for free. They really didn't even ask where I got them or how old they were as I recall (though I had just bought them from a local ski shop that year).

LeeD
02-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Tahoe this Pres weekend might not be the best idea ever.
I'm shooting for the storm after this one, in maybe 10 days, as this one just dumped tons and it's all in the wrong places.

GRANITECHIEF
02-22-2011, 09:35 AM
Well the drive up friday night was brutal as expected. It took 6 hours to make the 2 hour trip from sacramento. Parked on the 80 across from boreal for about 45 minutes at about 3am Sat morn. Got to sleep at 5am and was on the mountain at 11am. Snow was unbelievable, deep and fluffy. KT line topped out at about 10 minutes, not too bad, and after Sat. the crowd wasn't too bad. Great fabulous weekend, vid highlights to follow.

Ultra cold storm forecast for late thurs - sat morn, 2ft plus of 20:1 snow. Crowds typically drop off quite a bit after pres day weekend. Yeah!!

FloridaAG
02-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Well the drive up friday night was brutal as expected. It took 6 hours to make the 2 hour trip from sacramento. Parked on the 80 across from boreal for about 45 minutes at about 3am Sat morn. Got to sleep at 5am and was on the mountain at 11am. Snow was unbelievable, deep and fluffy. KT line topped out at about 10 minutes, not too bad, and after Sat. the crowd wasn't too bad. Great fabulous weekend, vid highlights to follow.

Ultra cold storm forecast for late thurs - sat morn, 2ft plus of 20:1 snow. Crowds typically drop off quite a bit after pres day weekend. Yeah!!

Excellent news hopefully it heads to Utah after hitting as we get to Utah on Thursday although they are currently not predicting much to hit Utah

r2473
02-22-2011, 11:15 AM
Lot's of snow on the weekend, but the canyon was closed for a long time on Sunday (avalanche control). Not sure if it ever actually opened (I'll have to ask around).

That means that all of the lucky people staying at the lodge had the place to themselves with amazing snow.

There is a storm moving in on Thursday from what I can see.

GRANITECHIEF
03-07-2011, 12:17 PM
I popped together a video of some snowplay from the past couple weekends.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3xMa6yEraSI

FloridaAG
03-07-2011, 12:37 PM
Had about 3 feet of powder when we were in Utah last week - great time

r2473
03-07-2011, 12:58 PM
You got lucky and hit a good week.

Hope you had fun.

GRANITECHIEF
03-21-2011, 09:50 AM
Good golly, another 6ft and more dumpage on the way. Hitting Squaw this weekend. Just Wow!!

N23
03-21-2011, 11:27 AM
Kirkwood says they're staying open til May 1. NICE! :)

basil J
03-21-2011, 12:34 PM
We are getting a small storm in NH today & tonight(5-8"), heading back up for 2 days to get some more turns in up at cannon & jay this week. Just a great season overall!

GRANITECHIEF
03-24-2011, 03:00 PM
Short vid of powder at Squaw yesterday:

http://www.tahoetopia.com/news/incessant-powder-days-squaw-snapshot-march-23

Snowing like crazy right now. I-80 is closed over Donner Summit. Just WOW!!

GRANITECHIEF
05-25-2011, 03:03 PM
Bump. Last Friday was a wicked powder day at Squaw Valley.

http://www.tahoetopia.com/news/squaw-valley-update-miracle-may-powder-days

We are heading up this weekend for a last blast of snow play for the season. Should be really fun spring style with KT22 and Headwall running.

Not only that, but its snowing there right now!!! Anybody else going?

FloridaAG
05-26-2011, 05:27 AM
Amazing GC - it is almost June for god's sake. Hot as blazes here

r2473
05-26-2011, 08:33 AM
Most places close by mid-April no matter how much snow we have. They don't make any money because the only people going are season pass holders.

Snowbird stays open as long as there is snow though. We've had 760" this year!!! Of course that is making for some flooding down here in the valley.

There were some people in the office that went up last weekend and said it was pretty fun.

A lot of people like to do the "double dip".....ski the morning and golf in the afternoon. I did that once and was so tired that I could barely swing the club. Much more fun to talk about it than actually do it.

GRANITECHIEF
05-26-2011, 09:10 AM
I bet the bird will be fun this weekend. I actually have friends from SLC coming to visit in Tahoe this weekend.

We will be doing the double dip, only second dip will be on the tennis court. Will try to put together a highlights video.

r2, have you ever played tennis with George Lukes. He was my pick up partner for doubs in the Mens 40's indoors last year.

r2473
05-26-2011, 03:24 PM
I've never played George, though I have played a few of the other local guys I saw in the draw (Scott Rockwood and Len Bowes).

You didn't play the tournament this year.

How on earth can you run around a tennis court after skiing? I only have enough energy to order a pizza and drink beer.

Have fun on the slopes. I know quite a few guys that hike and ski all summer until the last flake of snow has melted. Crazy ba$*****.

r2473
06-07-2011, 11:57 AM
We still have 100" bases at the Utah resorts. Some are reopening. Snowbird never closed.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=148&sid=15870467

r2473
07-05-2011, 10:36 AM
July 5th and ski season is already over?

We only had 783" of snow this year. Still plenty up there.

http://www.ksl.com/?nid=960&sid=16236653