PDA

View Full Version : What causes shoulder problems?

ambro
05-24-2005, 03:54 PM
I had some shoulder problems with my POG Mid, so I am selling it, and I think it was a combination of the weight and the small sweetspot which caused more mishits that was the problem. But as with the weight thing, what causes the shoulder to tire quicker, static weight or swing weight? Any help is appreciated.

Gaines Hillix
05-24-2005, 04:19 PM
High static weight and high swing weight can both cause your shoulder to tire. The kick serve is also hard on your shoulder.

rooski
05-24-2005, 04:52 PM
Shoulder problems are mainly caused by: 1) bad technique (too much shoulder motion and not enought wrist action, body rotation, and leg action....bad toss), 2) overlength rackets.

ambro
05-24-2005, 04:53 PM
I know both can, but which is more? Like high static/low swing such as PS 6.0 95 (12.2/317) or low static/high swing such as LM Radical MP (11.2/325)? Which tire shoulders quicker?

ambro
05-24-2005, 04:55 PM
Well my shoulder problem with the POG wasn't necessarily it hurting, just too heavy for me to swing by the end of the week after playing every day. It's more of a tiring issue than actual pain, and it doesn't happen anymore so this is just out of curiosity.

rooski
05-25-2005, 04:21 AM
Ever considered hitting the gym? If you are getting that tired (in your shoulder) then you may simply need to gain some strength. Also, as I said in my first post...it could be technique related. If I tried to stiff arm a serve with mostly my shoulder only (no wrist, little elbow, and no legs)....my shoulder would tire quickly too.

What is your NTRP rating?

Gaines Hillix
05-25-2005, 04:30 AM
I know both can, but which is more? Like high static/low swing such as PS 6.0 95 (12.2/317) or low static/high swing such as LM Radical MP (11.2/325)? Which tire shoulders quicker?

Well, from the perspective of the shoulder I don't think it really makes any difference(static vs swingweight). The AOR(axis of rotation) of your hand is in the handle, but at your shoulder it is "seeing" all of the weight no matter where it is on the racquet. Even weight added at the balance point or in the handle is going to have the same effect on the shoulder. I think a head heavy racquet would tire your arm and shoulder a little more because the weight is further away.

Mike Cottrill
05-25-2005, 04:54 AM
Well my shoulder problem with the POG wasn't necessarily it hurting, just too heavy for me to swing by the end of the week after playing every day. It's more of a tiring issue than actual pain, and it doesn't happen anymore so this is just out of curiosity.

ambro,
How hard do you grip the handle? Clinching the handle too hard will tire your arm. It also keeps your arm from freely moving through your motion.
Mike

datsveryinterestin
05-25-2005, 06:23 AM
Try a softer string.. I thought they were going to have to amputate my arm after amonth of using poly string... but when I changed back to multi... my rotator cuff no longer explodes in pain when I serve!

The poly didn't cause my pain, that was done a long time ago in baseball leagues... but it sure exacerbated them.

AndrewD
05-25-2005, 06:43 AM
ambro,
there is also the very simple issue of ageing. As you get older, if you don't devote enough time to keeping yourself supple (as opposed to physically fit) then you will experience problems. Of course, you might only be young and that isn't an issue for you but if you're in the 30+ bracket it is something to keep in mind.

I also realise that pro players and many others do practise every day but there is a lot to be said for managing your playing schedule in order to stave off injury. If you were working out at the gym you'd give yourself a recovery day in between training so the body has time to rest and recuperate. A similar approach in any sport isn't unfounded.

If, however, you do want to continue playing each day then, on top of the good advice Gaines has given you, you might also want to address the way you prepare your equipment. Perhaps choose a racquet that is as heavy as you can handle when feeling tired and then weight it up to the maximum you can handle when feeling at your best. As you tire you can remove the excess tape. Jimmy Connors did a similar thing (heavy if he was feeling fit and healthy, most all tape gone if he'd had a long match the night/day before or if he just felt a bit lethargic). Of course, that can be expensive with the lead tape but it is one option. As is having a second frame strung a little bit looser than your main stick. When you start to tire, go to the looser one and the extra pop will offset the tiring shoulder and allow you to still achieve depth without having to still swing as hard.

sandro
05-25-2005, 06:51 AM
High static weight and high swing weight can both cause your shoulder to tire. The kick serve is also hard on your shoulder.
Agree, 100%.

backcourt
05-26-2005, 04:39 AM
I also agree too heavy a racquet or swingweight can cause shoulder problems. But would add that too light and stiff a racquet can also. I used a Head Fire Tour for a bout a year which was somewhat headlight and weighed around 10.3. I think the lightweight and stiffness ( I think it was a around 68) tansfrered alot of shock to the shoulder, especially if I missed the sweet spot on a high backhand volley. The kick serve must also be hard on shoulders cause that's pretty much all I hit. Over the last couple of years I've been trying to toss the ball further in front of instead of behind me to reduce stress on the shoulder and lower back and it seems to help.