PDA

View Full Version : 03 Tour question to AndrewD

Fantoro
05-24-2005, 07:11 PM
Hi Andrew,

Read in some of your past posts that you played with the O3 Tour recently and that It retails for $300 in Oz. In Melbourne, there isn't one available yet to be bought...Can you shed some light as to what the story is with the launch of this frame here in Australia...
Thanks

AndrewD
05-25-2005, 05:00 AM
Fantoro,

I have seen the 03 Tour at a pro shop here in Brisbane (Everton Park tennis centre) so Im pretty stunned that it's not available in Melbourne. I just asked in passing how much it was and the guy said to me, 'about $305 (I think, but that is close to the figure he gave). And no, it definately wasn't the Silver or Red 03 but the Coria Tour 03 that they had for demo and sale. Ive also seen it on the Tennis Warehouse (Australian version) website for $380.

Apart from that, I assist several players with varying degrees of intellectual and physical handicap (not officially coach although I am going for my Level 1 qualification soon) two of who are wheelchair tennis players. One receives sponsorship through Prince (very limited but it's better than nothing) and now uses the 03 Tour. As a result, Ive had the chance to hit with and against it quite a few times.

Where in Melbourne have you been looking for the 03 Tour?

Just so no-one thinks Im spruiking for Prince, the other player I help is sponsored by Head who, as of the other day, have been kind enough to offer me some assistance in terms of equipment for the work I do with the disabled tennis players.

Okay, just had a thought but its only a theory. Do you think, by any chance that they're holding off releasing it in Melbourne until the Oz Open? I know that Volkl have a new frame coming out, part of their '10' range (C10 etc) and the Volkl rep said it would be unveiled at the 2006 Oz Open. So, perhaps Prince will do the same. That would explain why its available up here but not in Melbourne (we have no major tennis so no chance of big promo).

Fantoro
05-25-2005, 05:29 PM
Thanks Andrew,

have spoken to the distributor for Prince in Oz based in Melbourne, this very morning and guess what....03 not available til late July/August!!!
Interesting way of marketing their products...
Also, the TW OZ version advertises these at $380, when I have been quoted $290 - delivery August - That is a serious difference in price!!!

This confirms what I thought all along...buy my frames at TW...less hypocrisy and more transparency...+ get the goods as they come out not months later!

counterpuncher
05-25-2005, 05:48 PM
This is a common theme even with Wilson. There was a look of surprise when I turned up to Sportsmart here in Melbourne with an nCode Surge to have it strung. Before I could open my mouth, the questions started flying about how the hell did I get my hands on one, when it hasn't even been released here as yet : )

AndrewD
05-26-2005, 01:10 AM
Still, I am curious as to why it is available here in Queensland and not in Melbourne. Also, why release it in Melbourne in the middle of winter?

Yep, TW is a much better and more efficient option for most everything. If you add on shipping to the TW price for the O3 Tour and convert it into Aus dollars you'll probably find its the same price as they're offering at Everton Park, so around the $310 mark. Of course TW wins out as you can also order, at the same time, strings, bag, grips, shoes etc for a fraction of the cost we pay here in Oz.

If you do go with the 03 Tour you might like to add some lead tape to the order as well as some 17 and 18 gauge string. The player I assist uses cheap but highly effective Prince Duraflex which is only about 3.80 from TW. Really adds to the 03 Tour's spin potential.

Fantoro
05-26-2005, 01:54 PM
Thanks Andrew, agree with the lead tape thing and strings, I have strung the O3 demo with TF, spinfire maxipower in the mains and TF TR3 crosses, a delighful combo...

cheecl
07-07-2005, 05:22 PM
Andrew, my son got his O3 Tour week. Finally! The Prince Duraflex 16 it came strung with lasted only 3 hours of play.

AndrewD
07-07-2005, 07:26 PM
Actually, it was my mistake completely. I spoke to the Prince rep and he said they were only supposed to be in the shop as part of a demo day, not to be sold. Looks like the shop was using one as a demo and selling the others.

Regardless, noticed on Aus TW the price was $289. Guess it will be a lot more than that in certain shops though. Good idea might be to go to one of the demo days they hold at tennis centres and stores, trial it there and make an offer to buy. Usually they give you the chance to buy one of the frames for 10-20% less which would be a good saving on the 03 Tour.

TwistServe
07-07-2005, 07:27 PM
Andrew, my son got his O3 Tour week. Finally! The Prince Duraflex 16 it came strung with lasted only 3 hours of play.

Dump the PSGD.. Such a fine weapon does not deserve the disrespect in ia pour ammo.

cheecl
07-07-2005, 07:48 PM
I think you are right. Looking for an affordable hybrid set up...will be testing over the next few weeks.

Steve Huff
07-07-2005, 07:53 PM
I have an O3 Tour, and it's heavier than it feels. After sttringing it and adding an overgrip, mine weighed 12.0 oz. I added .2 oz on each side of the head, bringing the total weight to 12.4 oz. I would never have guessed it weighed this much after hitting with it.

AndrewD
07-07-2005, 08:50 PM
Steve,

thats a bit surprising. Specs out at 11.6 ounces strung and thats pretty much what the two Ive hit with have been. I know certain strings can add a bit more weight than usual but didn't think that and an overgrip would get it up to 12 ounces.

How did you find it played in stock form as opposed to when you modified it?

Im still tossing up between the 03Tour and the Diablo mp. Not much difference between the two expect for a lower swingweight on the Diablo, more head light and a more traditional feel all of which is probably better for serve-volley and net play.

TwistServe
07-07-2005, 10:06 PM
I have an O3 Tour, and it's heavier than it feels. After sttringing it and adding an overgrip, mine weighed 12.0 oz. I added .2 oz on each side of the head, bringing the total weight to 12.4 oz. I would never have guessed it weighed this much after hitting with it.

I just brought a postal scale that measures to an accuracy of .1 grams. Still waiting for it in the mail. When it comes I'll weigh my O3 Tours to see whatup.. I've added about .4oz to it and I'm expecting the stick to be 12.15 oz-ish with the overgrip.

hotdimsim
07-07-2005, 11:21 PM
go to melb park and ask to demo one. the coaches there were all demoing rackets before the academy started. they had aeropro drive, flexpoint rad AND the o3 tour.

go and ask there bout it

drak
07-08-2005, 04:26 AM
Abdrew, I previously owned the Diablo Mp and now own the 03. I much prefer the 03 on groundstrokes and for all around play. However, for someone who is a S&V player the Diablo may be the way to go as it servers great and volleys very well - I just had too muck of a problem with my groundstrokes.

Drak

AndrewD
07-08-2005, 04:38 AM
drak,

thanks for the input. Seems quite a few people feel that way about the Diablo mp. Great for serves and volleys but not so good on groundstrokes. So far Ive had limited time using the Diablo (we've had shocking weather here the last month so only managed about 10 sessions and none I could devote to my game) so haven't really worked through its strengths and weaknesses. Can I ask what it was on the groundstrokes that you found lacking? Did you find the flex to be a problem in generating power or was there something else you didn't like?

We've got state and club championships coming up in a weeks time so Im still limited in trying out a new racquet but will have to do something soon as my 4 TT Warrior mp's cracked in the space of 5 hitting sessions. So, Im racquetless for the time being LOL.

TwistServe
07-08-2005, 06:32 PM
I just brought a postal scale that measures to an accuracy of .1 grams. Still waiting for it in the mail. When it comes I'll weigh my O3 Tours to see whatup.. I've added about .4oz to it and I'm expecting the stick to be 12.15 oz-ish with the overgrip.

All my O3 Tours now official weigh 12.28oz or 347.8g. The balance is around .75inches head light (is this 6pt?).. One of the O3 Tours had a weird balance of .5inches head light and I couldnt fix this without taking off the butt so I decided to leave it as is in case I want extra pop that day.

Interestingly, the largest discrepency between the heaviest O3 Tour and the lightest was 12.195oz vesus 12.05oz. I added the lead tape appriopiately to match all the racquets of course, so now all are 12.28oz.

Another thing to note is that the tournagrip XL I use weighs in at 5.1grams which is around .18oz.

Thats all for now.

AndrewD
07-10-2005, 02:52 AM
TwistServe,

So, going by the end weight of your racquets it sounds like they all started out as 11.6 ounces (329g) You added 5.1 grams for the grip and then 12 grams for the lead tape (0.4 ounces with, roughly, .1 ounces = 3 grams). The end total coming out to 346grams or thereabouts which is, again roughly, 12.2 ounces.

Does that sound about right to you?

I just did the calculations after Steve commenting that his was a touch heavier stock than advertised (assuming Steve's overgrip is the same weight as the one you use).

I've had that problem before with Prince racquets and now I absolutely refuse to buy one that is not smack on the specified weight or slightly under. The POG OS I bought weighed in at 12.7 ounces with a balance point nowhere near the stated 9 points and a higher swingweight than advertised. Now, any time I have to go looking at racquets I take a small set of scales with me. Sounds a bit fussy but Id rather underweight than over because at least you can fix that.

TwistServe
07-10-2005, 05:54 AM
TwistServe,

So, going by the end weight of your racquets it sounds like they all started out as 11.6 ounces (329g) You added 5.1 grams for the grip and then 12 grams for the lead tape (0.4 ounces with, roughly, .1 ounces = 3 grams). The end total coming out to 346grams or thereabouts which is, again roughly, 12.2 ounces.

Does that sound about right to you?

I just did the calculations after Steve commenting that his was a touch heavier stock than advertised (assuming Steve's overgrip is the same weight as the one you use).

I've had that problem before with Prince racquets and now I absolutely refuse to buy one that is not smack on the specified weight or slightly under. The POG OS I bought weighed in at 12.7 ounces with a balance point nowhere near the stated 9 points and a higher swingweight than advertised. Now, any time I have to go looking at racquets I take a small set of scales with me. Sounds a bit fussy but Id rather underweight than over because at least you can fix that.

The difference in stock weight was about 2-5 grams between the racquets, and one was less head light then the other two. So in matching them, I had to add more lead on some then other. I guess it wasn't really a big deal but I get more confidence with having my racquets matching.

AndrewD
07-10-2005, 06:14 AM
Well, if you're going to have two racquets you really do need them to be matched. Still, disappointing to have them so far apart in weight and balance. It's one of the very few hesitations I have now in buying a racquet on-line. I really do need to know that it will either exactly match the advertised specs or, in terms of weight, come in under so I can fix it myself. Im pretty sure TW will do their best to provide one that is spot-on or choose the lowest weighted one at their disposal but you're still limited by what they've been sent. I have my best results playing serve-volley tennis with a racquet weighing in under 12 ounces, 8pts head light and with a swingweight no more than 329. Last thing I would want to do is pay for the item and then find it exceeds one or all of those categories - most especially the swingweight which I believe is the most important element.

Alex
07-19-2005, 12:48 AM
Is the Prince O3 Tour suitable for flat hitter? ground stroke and serve?

nguyenthuc
07-19-2005, 10:06 AM
Don't forget that the advertised stock weight is just an average weight. Different grip sizes can noticeably increase or decrease static weight and balance.