PDA

View Full Version : racquet for fast swinging spinballer

datsveryinterestin
05-24-2005, 07:20 PM
I used to use the Prestige mid, and it great on forehands, but I miss the sweetspot on backhands... so I want to move to a bigger head so there is more margin for error. Plus I am playing people that are crushing the ball easily with Sharks, and Radicals, and Pure Drives... that I feel like I need a little more oomp for when I am on the defensive....

Here are my current choices... I am looking for frames that have a higher sweetspot as my Prestige is totally dead higher up.

Babolat Pure Storm Team MP
Fischer Pro Number One
Yonex RDX 500 Demo Mid
Yonex RDX 300 Mid+ 98
Babolat AeroPro Drive Plus

Some of these seem like total "tweeners" like the rdx300, but I have seen some amazing players use the Pure Storm and Sharks, etc....... Not sure I will be able to keep the ball in the court after using the Prestige mid... but I really want to be able to blast topspin shots and kickserves... and improve the pace, depth, and spin on my 2HBH.

What do you all think??? I asked recently and people said the O3 tour or Flexpoint Tour, but I don't like those racquets as much as those above...

LafayetteHitter
05-24-2005, 09:25 PM
I would recommend demoing either the Volkl Tour 10 V-engine or the Tour 10 MP Generation 2. Each would fit into the group you have listed and the sweetspot will be impressive. You might want to think about demoing the MP of the RDX 500 instead of the Mid if your having issues against the 100-105 inch head tweener racquets, I know exactly what you are describing I play some guys using those racquets here as well and i'm always using sub 100 inch racquets. You just don't want to get something so powerful that all your balls are in the fence like the guy using the Pure Drive across from me tonight. Lots of his balls had tons of pace but the only place they landed were in the fence. Oh well i'll save that for the rants section. Sounds like you are on track.

deflori
05-25-2005, 05:12 AM
I play with much spin on my westernforehand,and switched now from the Instinct to the new Flexpoint Tour!
Greatone for Spinners,a spinning Monster and superb control,a very nice stick,and plays easier than the weight says..

datsveryinterestin
05-25-2005, 06:18 AM
lafayette... you make good points... the people i have played are too tough when their shots hit the baseline and kick way up. but i blocked a few shots back that should have been easy putaways, that they went for to much and they sailed long. it almost seemed that they were ****ed that I couldn't stand on the baseline and smash the ball back and forth with them... but with my smaller frame, I was going to be the one to produce the short ball first.. so i would either have to go for a winner, or chip and charge to end the points. But after switching from 90" to 98" racquet after losing the first set, I was able to win the 2nd set and should have won the 3rd.

I either need to practice a LOT with my midsize racquet to get my confidence back, or switch to a 98-100 inch head to battle these guys.
I noticed against lesser players my mid is fine, but as I play harder hitting opponents, I have less time to prepare, am not as in good postion and an Mid+ racquet really helps out...

But now my mind is confused and always wanting to go into the bag to switch out racquets..... eeeps. Racquet Acquisition Syndrome is killing me and my wallet!

TennsDog
05-25-2005, 05:41 PM
It sounds like you need a racket that can put some weight into shots, which means you should not get a Yonex. They just don't have what it takes to hit heavy shots. I would second the Volkl Tour 10 VE. I think several of the nCode's can also hit heavy shots. You probably shouldn't go much, if any, over 95 inches. If you can handle some extra power, a Wilson Hammer may work well. They are all head-heavy and so raise the sweetspot toward the tip of the head and can also hit heavier shots. They will be more forgiving on off-center hits and allow you to handle spin better. Another suggestion is to try adding some lead tape to 12 o'clock on your frame.

NoBadMojo
05-25-2005, 05:59 PM
with your keywords larger head, spin, and fastswing, the AeroDrive+ is the one from your list. you'll either love this frame or think it's awful...but it will help you swing fast, get more lick on the ball with less effort, and it is very spin friendly. if you think it sucks, then try the Volkl Tour10MP-VE..it's got additional pop compared to the other frames suggested, but is more difficult to swing fast

sandro
05-26-2005, 03:43 AM
my 0.02 cents: don't go for too big changes. Your case seems very similar to mine. I went from Prestige Pro to Volkl C-10 Pro and I'm more than satisfied. I think nCode 6.1 could do the trick as well, but demo oif you can.
Good luck!

Rafa Nadal
05-26-2005, 03:52 AM
The best Spinracquet i played was the Aeropro Drive!!!
@deflori jetzt auch FLEXPOINT?

drak
05-26-2005, 04:55 AM
Unless you have hit with the 03 tour and discounted it then I would not take it off my list - very good frame with nice size sweetspot, big spin, and very good control.

Drak

datsveryinterestin
05-26-2005, 11:34 AM
I'd really like to use a Prestige for serves and forehands, and an AeroPro plus for backhands!

donnyz89
05-26-2005, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=datsveryinterestin]
Babolat Pure Storm Team MP
Fischer Pro Number One
Yonex RDX 500 Demo Mid
Yonex RDX 300 Mid+ 98
Babolat AeroPro Drive Plus
QUOTE]

out of your choices, i think the pure storm is a GREAT choice. comparing to other babolat racquets, the storm is super flexible, not nearly as damaging to your arms. and its got great power. plus i use it and i like to use a lot of top spin with my semiwestern grip. This racquet is great for serve returns also.

spin potential is very good, not theee best but 8/10 as far as spin potential goes from personal experience. but a great racquet for fast swing players, solid and stable.

just a note, its not very heavy, i would consider adding some weight into the handle, but its swing weight is perfect.

goober
05-26-2005, 03:56 PM
Why don't you just get the 98 inch LM prestige?

datsveryinterestin
05-26-2005, 05:49 PM
Good suggestion on the MP Prestige, but I think it is really about a 95" racquet, and the 98 is bogus. If I went for a 98" Head, I'd probably have to go with the Radical or Flexpoint Tours or the Instinct...

newracketagain??
05-26-2005, 06:42 PM
i had exactly the same problem as you! i was playing prince nxg mid and now im settled on the pure drive! it sumhowe turned me into an agressive player !