PDA

View Full Version : Pure Drive (std. & plus) vs. PK Laver Type S

KickServer
05-25-2005, 01:49 AM
Has anyone play with the Babolat Pure Drives and the ProKennex Laver Type S. I was at the pro shop and overheard an employee telling a customer that the PD std. and even the plus are better sticks than the Laver and that they both have more power and control.

Now, I currently own the PD std. and the Laver Types S and found the laver to have a lot more control than the PDs. It's less stiff and has less power, but not by much. Serves will lose a little pace, but that means you should be hitting 1st serve in with a higher percentage. I'm a baseline player, and the few times I do volley, I rather be holding my laver (w/ 3 grams of lead tape at 6 & 9) than my PD. Does anyone agreed with me?

Gaines Hillix
05-25-2005, 05:36 AM
I do....I've played with both and our observations are very similar. I think the PK Laver S is a very underrated racquet.

monologuist
05-25-2005, 09:20 AM
I think the LAver Type S is definitely superior in almost every respect to the Pure Drive (or any of the PD clones). It has a little thinner beam and much thinner throat, giving it much better touch/feel...control is much better without the "woofers"...also it is great that you don't have to "tame" the power with poly strings like you do with a PD...I used Laserfibre Supreme 17 multifilament @ 60 lbs., and got good controllable power and decent comfort....with a PD, I'd probably have to do a poly at that tension to not have balls flying on me....and the LAver Type S is exceptional at the net, while the PD flails at it. I liked the Laver Type SX even better personally...more spin, better serves, without much sacrifice of maneuverability...I had mine leaded in the handle to be about 10 pts. headlight, 12 oz...played great that way. I eventually had to put the Lavers away though, as I was getting some arm and shoulder discomfort.

Gaines Hillix
05-25-2005, 02:33 PM
I think the LAver Type S is definitely superior in almost every respect to the Pure Drive (or any of the PD clones). It has a little thinner beam and much thinner throat, giving it much better touch/feel...control is much better without the "woofers"...also it is great that you don't have to "tame" the power with poly strings like you do with a PD...I used Laserfibre Supreme 17 multifilament @ 60 lbs., and got good controllable power and decent comfort....with a PD, I'd probably have to do a poly at that tension to not have balls flying on me....and the LAver Type S is exceptional at the net, while the PD flails at it. I liked the Laver Type SX even better personally...more spin, better serves, without much sacrifice of maneuverability...I had mine leaded in the handle to be about 10 pts. headlight, 12 oz...played great that way. I eventually had to put the Lavers away though, as I was getting some arm and shoulder discomfort.

monolinguist, do you get good pop on your serves and groundies with the your Vantage? How would you compare the control you get with it to the Laver S and SX? What order code would your's be?

monologuist
05-25-2005, 03:04 PM
Gaines, the Vantage I have has surprisingly good pop on serves and groundies considering its lower flex and thinner beam. Mine is 100", 16x19, 11.4 oz., 12 pts. headlight unstrung, 27.25" , black, with Wilson handle. Strung with Laserfibre Supreme 17, it ends up being about 11.9 oz., 9-10 pts. headlight, strung. The Laserfibre is a perfect complement to the frame. Compared to the Laver Type S, I would say its power level is a shade lower, but not much. Control is similar. The Laver hits a more "jumpy" topspin, but the Vantage hits a heavier ball. Don't get me wrong though, the Vantage can hit those head-high kicking balls as well, you just have to generate a tad bit more headspeed. THe main advantages I feel that I have with the Vantage are :
1. Comfort. The Laver SX was a tad stiff for me...was getting some arm twinges.
2. Feel/touch. Although the Laver had good feel for a racquet as stiff and powerful as it is, the Vantage clearly has better feel, which I think is a significant upgrade on volleys, droppers, slices.
3. Heavier serves and groundies. My regular hitting partners have commented on my shots feeling heavier and harder to return when I made the switch to Vantage...not surprising, since I can feel upon contact that the Vantage feels more solid and is transferring more energy to the ball....this is of course assuming a similar swingspeed as with the Laver. I can also tell, b/c they are netting more of my shots!
4. The "custom" handle shape...to me, Wilson and Prince handle shapes are the most natural feeling and allow me to feel comfortable on every shot...the Pro Kennex handles feel alright to me, much better than Head or Volkl, but the Wilson is "perfect".

My main concern was losing pop and losing maneuverability going to the Vantage from the PK Laver, but fortunately, those concerns were quickly allayed. The Vantage is the best compromise of pop/touch and of maneuverability/solidness of anything I've tried....highly recommended....I'll be writing a follow-up review now that the "honeymoon period" is over.

I love the Laver SX though. It is such a terrific stick for serve and volley and basline bashing alike...a true all-courter's weapon.

Gaines Hillix
05-25-2005, 06:20 PM
Thanks for the feedback monologuist. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Speedy_tennis
05-25-2005, 06:51 PM
what racket is the pk laver??? photo???

Capt. Willie
05-25-2005, 08:58 PM
He was probably telling the customer this because the PD's cost more than the Lavers...just trying to make a larger sale.

monologuist
05-26-2005, 11:40 AM
look on TW site under Pro Kennex and it is called the Heritage Laver Type S