PDA

View Full Version : Lakers offseason moves

SirGounder
07-28-2010, 06:28 PM
There has been much talk about the moves the Miami Heat made this summer. Honestly I'm pretty burnt out on that stuff and being a Laker fan, I thought we could discuss what they have done. Overall I like that they made a championship team better without breaking the bank.

Phil Jackson - A team's ultimate leader is the coach and Jackson is one of the greatest. His player rotations and tendency to not call timeouts can drive you nuts, but you can't knock his ability to keep big egos in check and keep everyone together just enough to get the job done.

Derek Fisher - Veteran leadership and a steady hand goes a long way. I say he is more valuable to the Lakers than any other team and it's good to have him back.

Steve Blake - Nice addition to the team, a tough guard who can knock down 3's.

Matt Barnes - Some ole fashioned trash talking with Kobe and tenacity will add even more toughness to the team. Not particularly strong but his length will bother some people. Plus Artest provides the muscle.

Theo Ratliff - Another solid defensive player. He is old but can provide a good presence in the middle to back up Bynum and Gasol. Plus given Bynum's injury history, Ratliff might have to play more minutes.

Shannon Brown - I would like to see him back. He tended to hang onto the ball too long and try to create his own shots. If he comes back, his biggest contributions will be as a slasher and spot up shooter. He should also focus more on defense as his strong body can give people trouble.

LanEvo
07-28-2010, 08:47 PM
Lakers... I smell a three-peat this coming season.

LetsGoRoddick
07-28-2010, 09:13 PM
obviously bringing back fisher and phil is huge for you guys. But I think matt barnes is probably the biggest addition, with his defense and length. It's almost like he's a mini ron artest. Probably he's a better 3 point shooter than Ronron though, so that will hopefully help with your bench's shooting(which honestly was pretty dreadful post 2008 )

jamesblakefan#1
07-28-2010, 09:21 PM
Theo Ratliff? He's still alive?

I keed, I keed.

In all seriousness I do like what the Lakers have done, to me they still have more depth and would match up perfectly with what Miami has brought in. Barnes is another tough nosed defender in the vein of Artest. Blake is a solid backup PG who can shoot from the outside. If Bynum can stay healthy (huge if as always) and Kobe remains Kobe, they are still the team to beat in the NBA.

Also want to mention Chicago, since I'm a Bulls fan. :) Boozer to me is a solid addition, even if he's not a top tier guy who will lead a team, I still think alongside Rose and Noah he will help solidify the inside. And Chicago already led the league in rebounds without Boozer.

Also think Korver could be a great addition as well. Chicago's weakness since I can remember (maybe back to Steve Kerr lol) has been the lack of a solid 3pt shooter, and Korver gives them that.

Other guys like Ronnie Brewer, CJ Watson, and possibly bringing in the corpse of Tracy McGrady, Chicago could be another formidable opponent for the Miami Trice along w/ Boston and Orlando in the East.

As a non-LeBron fan, I'm more happy w/ this than if they had gotten Prince James.

LetsGoRoddick
07-28-2010, 09:24 PM
Also think Korver could be a great addition as well. Chicago's weakness since I can remember (maybe back to Steve Kerr lol) has been the lack of a solid 3pt shooter, and Korver gives them that.

Other guys like Ronnie Brewer, CJ Watson, and possibly bringing in the corpse of Tracy McGrady, Chicago could be another formidable opponent for the Miami Trice along w/ Boston and Orlando in the East.

As a non-LeBron fan, I'm more happy w/ this than if they had gotten Prince James.

:mrgreen: good to see steve kerr gets some recognition around here!

tricky
07-28-2010, 10:07 PM
Pretty happy with Mitch's moves (and Kobe's campaigning for Barnes.) And of course poet laureate Ron Artest has the best descrip on Matt Barnes -- "Matt is tougher than nails. Tougher than a peguin on steroids. Tougher than Richard Simmons trying to take off his spandex" He's a local and a former Bruin; naturally, he's happy to go back home.

Lakers had one of the worst benches in the Association. Now, they have a solid, average (presumably mature . . .hello Farmar!!!) bench that can space the floor and defend with size in key positions. Also, they have a true enforcer now with Barnes. (Yes, Artest is as tough and physical as they come, but he's also crazy. You DON'T want him to flip out.)

Mitch also made good bets in the draft. Both Ebanks (aka Ariza 2.0, the resemblance is eerie) and Derrick Character are playing well in summer NBDL, and may become important 2nd unit players by end of regular season.

SirGounder
07-28-2010, 11:49 PM
Crap forgot about the rooks. I'm surprised to see them do so well in the summer league. It'll be interesting to see how they transition to the big leagues.

The Bulls had a solid summer, about as good as it gets considering they didn't land any of the big 3.

FuriousYellow
07-29-2010, 09:36 AM
Love the moves. The Heat needed stars, we needed role players and we got two very good ones in Blake and Barnes.

Not sure what to make of the Ratliff signing, but he did average over 1.5 blocks in a limited role last season. I thought Mbenga could have given us the same for half the amount of money.

CCNM
07-29-2010, 12:02 PM
Is it true Luke Walton's having back problems?

SirGounder
07-29-2010, 03:33 PM
Luke Walton has been having back problems for a while now. Pinched nerve amongst other things. Kept him out for a good stretch last season.

I think Ratliff is a more solid all around player than Mbenga. He also gives the Lakers 2 legit centers if Bynum goes down again.

CCNM
07-29-2010, 04:09 PM
Luke Walton has been having back problems for a while now. Pinched nerve amongst other things. Kept him out for a good stretch last season.

I think Ratliff is a more solid all around player than Mbenga. He also gives the Lakers 2 legit centers if Bynum goes down again.

Really? Well, I guess he as a lot more in common with his dad than genes (ha ha ha) Seriously, I hope he's ok. I'm not a Lakers fan but IF they end up playing the Heat in the final-L A all the way! :)

tricky
07-29-2010, 04:24 PM
Not sure what to make of the Ratliff signing, but he did average over 1.5 blocks in a limited role last season. I thought Mbenga could have given us the same for half the amount of money.

I definitely wanted to keep Congo Cash, but he and Phil do not get along.

Cold to say this, but I'm hoping he retires so we can somehow unload his gawdawful contract. Maybe he can become a team assistant coach and teach the guys how to entry pass.

SirGounder
07-29-2010, 06:26 PM
Can we unload Vujacic while we're at it? I know he played well a couple years back but it was a contract year after all.

Although seeing as how this is a contract year, maybe he'll regain his shooting touch.

jamesblakefan#1
07-29-2010, 06:58 PM
Can we unload Vujacic while we're at it? I know he played well a couple years back but it was a contract year after all.

Although seeing as how this is a contract year, maybe he'll regain his shooting touch.

You can't get rid of The Machine! :twisted:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwTDPvXszhw

tricky
07-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Can we unload Vujacic while we're at it?

My gut feeling is that he's going to have a career year. It's a contract year. It looked he rediscovered his stroke in the Boston series.

This is great, because we'll get to trade him for big value next season. ;)