PDA

View Full Version : Well, to be honest, I was blown away by this movie ...

Davis937
07-29-2010, 01:08 AM
For starters, I'm not really a foreign film buff ... actually, I hate foreign movies (yeah, I'm bad ... I just like American flicks) ... BUT ... I just got through viewing a really OUTSTANDING movie ... it's a Swedish film (... c'mon, you have to give it a chance) ... and, it's called: "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" ... the female lead is just excellent ... I know we have some really intelligent and gifted movie critics / afficianados on TTW ... so, what did you think about the movie ...

Admerr
07-29-2010, 02:53 AM
Watched it last week with the wife. She is a big fan of the novels and keeps telling me to read them. Having not read them yet, I thought it was a pretty good flick. Better than most crap pushed out of Hollywood these days.

The hollywood version is being made and Daniel Craig just signed on. Although we are big D. Craig fans, I just don't think he's right for it.

Snipergene
07-29-2010, 05:37 AM
I'm finishing the book this week and plan to watch the movie next week. Thanks for the tip.

Did you watch the english dubbed version or the subtitled version?

LanEvo
07-29-2010, 07:42 AM
Whenever watching a foreign film, always watch with subs, please.

Power Player
07-29-2010, 10:27 AM
Yeah, you really need to use subs. And I feel bad for people who are not into foreign films because they are missing out on far more creative moviemaking. A ton of Hollywood blockbusters are just remakes of foreign films, and they never are as good.

The French horror films are unreal..no CGI, and just old school effects that look very disturbing. That is just one example, but I could go on.

Davis937
07-29-2010, 10:54 AM
When I rented the DVD, I was warned that the subtitled captions might be cut off so I should use the "dubbed" version ... well, the captions were not cut off ... I was able to compare both versions ... although the dubbing was well done, you cannot perfect or mimic all of the voice nuances from the original version ... I recommend watching the "original" version with subtitles ... I understand that the second installment of the trilogy is currently playing in theaters ("The Girl Who Played With fire") ... was wondering if any of you out there have seen it yet ... I just LOVE the actress, Noomi Rapace (half Spanish and half Swedish) ... she definitely has screen peresence/charisma ... a nice change in pace from the cut-out Hollywood actresses that we are too often stuck with ...

FlamEnemY
07-29-2010, 11:29 AM
The French horror films are unreal..no CGI, and just old school effects that look very disturbing. That is just one example, but I could go on.

Have you ever watched "Martyrs"? It's a brilliant mixture between psycho-horror and drama. As far as I know the film was banned in several places, but darn, it's just... mind-blowing. And clever.

Snipergene
07-29-2010, 01:43 PM
I understand that the second installment of the trilogy is currently playing in theaters ("The Girl Who Played With fire") ... was wondering if any of you out there have seen it yet ... I just LOVE the actress, Noomi Rapace (half Spanish and half Swedish) ... she definitely has screen peresence/charisma ... a nice change in pace from the cut-out Hollywood actresses that we are too often stuck with ...
If you don't want to wait for the DVD to come out here in the US, here is all three in the Trilogy:

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/The-Millenium-Trilogy-The-Girl-With-The-Dragon-Tattoo-other-2/41963c1289b80e521adc7242ec829391fd99a6597c7d

Power Player
07-29-2010, 01:46 PM
Have you ever watched "Martyrs"? It's a brilliant mixture between psycho-horror and drama. As far as I know the film was banned in several places, but darn, it's just... mind-blowing. And clever.

Yes I have and it was awesome. As was Inside.

Davis937
07-29-2010, 05:30 PM
If you don't want to wait for the DVD to come out here in the US, here is all three in the Trilogy:

http://btjunkie.org/torrent/The-Millenium-Trilogy-The-Girl-With-The-Dragon-Tattoo-other-2/41963c1289b80e521adc7242ec829391fd99a6597c7d

Hey, Sniper ... thanks, nice of you! So, how did you like the second film ("The Girl Who Played With Fire") ... I notice that you play with the RPM Blast ... I just started using the string about two months ago ... I really like the string (really good playability and the strings are "soft" and "forgiving" ... which is great for me since I have a history of wrist, arm, and shoulder problems) ... how about you ... do you like the strings?

Snipergene
07-29-2010, 06:15 PM
Hey, Sniper ... thanks, nice of you! So, how did you like the second film ("The Girl Who Played With Fire") ... I notice that you play with the RPM Blast ... I just started using the string about two months ago ... I really like the string (really good playability and the strings are "soft" and "forgiving" ... which is great for me since I have a history of wrist, arm, and shoulder problems) ... how about you ... do you like the strings?
I haven't watched any of the films yet even though I have copies of each. Finishing up the first book tonight so hopefully will get a chance to watch the Dragon Tattoo this weekend.

No arms problems but like the soft feel of blast. Would like to try it out in 17g.

rommil
07-30-2010, 08:45 PM
This is a very good movie. Just waiting for Hollywood to do a banged up version of this one.

rommil
07-30-2010, 08:45 PM
For starters, I'm not really a foreign film buff ... actually, I hate foreign movies (yeah, I'm bad ... I just like American flicks) ... BUT ... I just got through viewing a really OUTSTANDING movie ... it's a Swedish film (... c'mon, you have to give it a chance) ... and, it's called: "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" ... the female lead is just excellent ... I know we have some really intelligent and gifted movie critics / afficianados on TTW ... so, what did you think about the movie ...

YOu watched Oldboy yet?

Davis937
07-31-2010, 08:50 PM
YOu watched Oldboy yet?

Hey, rommil ... no I haven't seen the movie yet ... tell me a little about the movie ... a Swedish film ... adventure, thriller?

Davis937
07-31-2010, 08:55 PM
This is a very good movie. Just waiting for Hollywood to do a banged up version of this one.

I'm not so sure it will be improvement ... I'm worried that the Hollywood version will be a disappointment ...

scotus
07-31-2010, 09:01 PM

They've got Daniel Craig lined up and are still looking for "that girl".

rommil
07-31-2010, 09:51 PM
Hey, rommil ... no I haven't seen the movie yet ... tell me a little about the movie ... a Swedish film ... adventure, thriller?

It's a Korean revenge film, part of a trilogy but this was IMO is the best and the story is unpredictable. One of my best films ever.

rommil
07-31-2010, 09:53 PM
They've got Daniel Craig lined up and are still looking for "that girl".

well Craig resembles a bit to the guy on the film, not that Craig is a good actor. His facial expression just doesn't have range, if that makes sense lol.

I wouldn't be surprised if they went for that Ellen Paige girl, I think that's her name, the one in Inception and Hard Candy.

dave333
07-31-2010, 10:39 PM
I've seen some great foreign films, though they're mostly not the very obscure ones. Amelie, Crouching, Tiger Hidden Dragon, Hero, some others.

The horror genre in foreign films is great though, like REC and Tale of Two Sisters. And of course, a lot more disturbing ones.

ttbrowne
08-02-2010, 07:29 AM
Yeah, you really need to use subs. And I feel bad for people who are not into foreign films because they are missing out on far more creative moviemaking. A ton of Hollywood blockbusters are just remakes of foreign films, and they never are as good.

Agreed. But most Americans are being brought up on that "CGI effects crap". There's no thinking needed.
Inception. Gawd-awful piece of crap. I think Rex Reed said it best.
"You never know who anyone is, what their goals are, who they work for or what they're doing. Since there's nothing to act, the cast doesn't even bother. It's the easiest kind of movie to make, because all you have to do is strike poses and change expressions."

rommil
08-02-2010, 07:33 AM

So when you get to watch Oldboy let us know how you liked/disliked the movie. Thanks