PDA

View Full Version : Tail Weighting and Reducing Tension to Increase Power

normrose
05-25-2005, 04:19 AM
I would be interested to hear from anyone who has successfully increased the power of their frame by tail weighting and reducing tension by say 2lbs. I ask the question as I donít feel comfortable with additional weight in the head even if I compensate by tail weighting by a commensurate amount. Thanks

Gaines Hillix
05-25-2005, 04:34 AM
Tailweighting alone will make the racquet plow through hard hit balls better, but it won't increase power per se. Reducing tension will incease power. You need to add weight in the hoop to increase its power.

normrose
05-25-2005, 03:37 PM
Thanks Gaines - I think it is now a case of experimentation.........Norm

tedmeister
05-25-2005, 08:18 PM
Tailweighting alone will make the racquet plow through hard hit balls better, but it won't increase power per se. Reducing tension will incease power. You need to add weight in the hoop to increase its power.
I remember a thread of yours from before wherein you tailweighted a 6.3. Did you not feel even a slight increase in power? I felt a small gain powerwise when I had mine backweighted without changing the hoop setup. If anything, it added more stability and comfort. The power in the racquet itself may not change much but tailweighting improves racquet head speed, enhancing the whip effect of the frame so some power may be gained this way.