PDA

View Full Version : String weight?

(K)evin
07-29-2010, 12:34 PM
Yesterday I got my racquet back from getting in strung with PolyStar energy (haven't had enough time to form an opinion of them, no time to hit) but I was shadow swinging my racquet and my racquet felt so much heavier then before and I don't understand how if the strings I had in my racquet before were Luxilon Original 1.30 and the Energy I'm using now is 1.25.....can anyone help me understand this?

Irvin
07-29-2010, 12:42 PM
Going from one guage to another could lower the weight of the racket by two grams or more. That weight you are taking off the racket is 18" above your hand and moves the center of mass closer to your hand. With a lower center of mass and reduces weight you will be able to feel the difference.

Irvin

(K)evin
07-30-2010, 09:08 AM
Going from one guage to another could lower the weight of the racket by two grams or more. That weight you are taking off the racket is 18" above your hand and moves the center of mass closer to your hand. With a lower center of mass and reduces weight you will be able to feel the difference.

Irvin
but the difference in gauge means the polystar should be lighter right? so why is it so heavy now? I don't understand

kiteboard
07-30-2010, 04:25 PM
It is lighter by about 1-g. 12-15g total. If the stick weighs 340-360g, that diff. is not much. It's in your head. Decide not to be bothered by it.

meowmix
07-30-2010, 04:41 PM
Different strings weigh different amounts. The difference though, is minimal. Don't let it get to your head.

LPShanet
08-02-2010, 05:15 PM
Yesterday I got my racquet back from getting in strung with PolyStar energy (haven't had enough time to form an opinion of them, no time to hit) but I was shadow swinging my racquet and my racquet felt so much heavier then before and I don't understand how if the strings I had in my racquet before were Luxilon Original 1.30 and the Energy I'm using now is 1.25.....can anyone help me understand this?

If there is actually a difference, it probably isn't your strings. Different strings don't usually vary by more then a few grams, and you probably wouldn't be able to feel the difference by swinging it. Either there is some other difference you're not aware of, or it's in your head.

MarrratSafin
08-02-2010, 11:33 PM
String weight only makes a tiny difference, but something else does more. I've found that, swinging 2 of the same racket feels different when there's a noticeable difference in the thickness of the string. An aerodynamics issue methinks, as it makes a different sound during the swing too.

Tennis_Crazed
08-03-2010, 08:06 AM
String weight only makes a tiny difference, but something else does more. I've found that, swinging 2 of the same racket feels different when there's a noticeable difference in the thickness of the string. An aerodynamics issue methinks, as it makes a different sound during the swing too.

You're right about this. I've strung for and also talked to some pro players before, and they mention this. More than the difference in feel when the string hits the ball of the different gauges they use, its the way the racquet feels as it swings through the air.

MarrratSafin
08-04-2010, 02:57 AM
You're right about this. I've strung for and also talked to some pro players before, and they mention this. More than the difference in feel when the string hits the ball of the different gauges they use, its the way the racquet feels as it swings through the air.

Yeah. I much prefer the feel of thin gauge strings swinging thru the air. Feels sharper and faster.:)