PDA

View Full Version : Do any Men use a 4 1/4 grip size???

isell188
05-25-2005, 05:49 AM
Just wondering if this is too small a grip size for a guy to use. I got a good deal on a racquet and I will be using overwrap. Normally I use a 4 3/8.

Ash Doyle
05-25-2005, 05:58 AM
If I'm not mistaken, I think Thomas Martinez once said that Nadal used a 4 1/4 grip.

equinox
05-25-2005, 06:25 AM
i use 1/4 with my pd's. 3/8 with my pogs. Doesn't matter they both feel similar to me.

doriancito
05-25-2005, 06:27 AM
Rafael nadal!

bamboo
05-25-2005, 04:58 PM
Their fingers generally touch their palms - Kuerten's have a big overlap, huge hands with 1/4 grip.

Gaines Hillix
05-25-2005, 05:23 PM
Carlos Moya is also said to use a 1/4 grip.

fedex27
05-25-2005, 05:27 PM
some young spanish kid, naval is it?

POGO
05-25-2005, 05:31 PM
i use 1/4 with my pd's. 3/8 with my pogs. Doesn't matter they both feel similar to me.
Yea, different rackets have different grip feel/size. My RD-7 are 4 1/2 but they feel like 4 3/8

isell188
05-26-2005, 05:01 AM
I've been looking at pictures of both the pro men and women at Roland Garros, and it seems in a lot of the pictures, the ring and middle fingers are touching or very close to the thumb pad.

rooski
05-26-2005, 05:27 AM
Babolat grips are oversized so a 1/4 feels like Wilson's or Prince's 3/8. Put some overwrap grip tape on it and it comes out to almost a 1/2. So it makes sense that many of the team Babolat guys would use a 1/4 grip.

On the other hand...Head grips are the opposite..they are undersized (part of it is the rectangular shape) which makes me highly doubt that Guga uses a Head 1/4 grip.

Brent Pederson
05-26-2005, 07:48 AM
Wegner, Guga's early coach, states in his book that he used to use a large grip on his wood rackets during his playing days (7/8 I believe), and that he had elbow problems. Now he uses a 1/8 grip size and says it's the way to go. He's a big believer in small grips, so he probably passed that on to Kuerten.

edge
05-26-2005, 08:00 PM
Michael Stitch used a 4 1/4 grip and he was 6'4".

BaseLineBash
05-26-2005, 08:08 PM
I know using a small grip enhances the pronation of the wrist when serving(serious whipping motion), but on the downside groundies suffer due to lack of stability.

Deuce
05-26-2005, 09:46 PM
The good thing about 1/4 is that you can build it up to exactly what you like in any way you like. Much easier than having to shave down a grip.

When I bought racquets, I'd buy them in 1/4 grip size whenever possible for this very reason.

IceT
05-26-2005, 10:39 PM
So why does TW's learning center suggest to have a finger-width gap between palm and finger tips, which translates to bigger grips? I'm only 5'10", but following their instruction, my right grip size seems to be between 4 1/2 and 4 5/8.

I do feel more comfortable with 3/8, but what feels comfortable now might just cause injuries in the long run, right?

So should I use 3/8 or 1/2?

And I'd like to know if anyone here has had an injury caused by using a grip that's too small?

If the previous posts about pro's using small grips are true, it seems that there's nothing wrong with using smaller grips.

larrhall
05-27-2005, 05:41 AM
I started with a 5/8, though my grip size was really 1/2. I now use 1/4 with a Gamma Hi-tech; however this is a Yonex 1/4 grip that feels a bit bigger. 3/8 is the largest grip size I would use now. Smaller grip sizes result in a little less power and a bit more control and, certainly, more spin.

banisterlaw
05-27-2005, 06:26 AM
I always heard the bigger the grip the better for whatever reason. I used to play 4 5/8 (my father when he taught me the game had me playing wih the big grip). I now use 4 3/8 for my Prince TT Rebel and it is comfortable. When I played the Ti radical 4 1/2 was about right

Honestlybad
05-27-2005, 06:29 AM
I found that smaller grip sizes allow for an easier acess to spin.

hofertennis
05-28-2005, 10:51 PM
If I'm not mistaken, I think Thomas Martinez once said that Nadal used a 4 1/4 grip.

Yeah, when he was 10 years old!!!!
LMAO

federer_nadal
05-28-2005, 11:27 PM
I recently hit with a former pro who was expected to be australias next big thing until he fell in a hole and wrecked his back and he uses a volkl something 9 u know the v one with the v cross bar and he had a 4 1/2 with 3 of the thickest overgrips he could find on it i had a hit wityh it and it was huge

Michelangelo
05-28-2005, 11:31 PM
Grip size also depends on your swing style. If your style is something like swinging the racket head with the pivot at your hand, then smaller grip size would be better; if you have Sampras forehand style, then bigger size will let you grip it firmer. Also, even though the same numerical size, different brands' actual grip sizes are indeed a bit different. From my experience, Wilson's and Prince's are about the same, Babolat is a bit bigger while Yonex feels a bit smaller (coz French people have larger palms and Japanese smaller ones !?). Anyway, for my playing I'd use L6 for head-light rackets while about L4 to L5 for head-heavy rackets.

Rackethead
05-29-2005, 06:56 PM
take the grip recommendations from tennis warehouse with a grain of salt. according to them, I should be using a 4 5/8" grip. But I measured my hand against my pro's and our hands are exactly the same - she uses a 4 3/8, and I found that was a good size for me as well.

GermaniumGenie
05-30-2005, 12:06 PM
IceT...

My wrist started to hurt really bad after using a 1/4 grip. I had to hold the grip really tightly on my groundstrokes in order to keep the racquet stable and prevent it from slipping out. This, I think, put too much pressure on the tendons in my wrist. The smaller grip helped on my serve and with spin, though.

IceT
05-30-2005, 09:46 PM
GermaniumGenie....

How tall are you?

Michelangelo
05-30-2005, 09:52 PM
IceT...

My wrist started to hurt really bad after using a 1/4 grip. I had to hold the grip really tightly on my groundstrokes in order to keep the racquet stable and prevent it from slipping out. This, I think, put too much pressure on the tendons in my wrist. The smaller grip helped on my serve and with spin, though.

That's what I've experienced in the past 2 years (actually switching from 110 sq. in. to 85-90 sq. in. headsizes, the rackets affect my playing style as well). I've tried from L3, L4, L5 and finally sattle down with L6 (or L6.5, depends on the actual size of the original grip). One thing to know that the Tennis-Warehouse grip size guideline is really a guideline, everyone is unique and needs to adjust the grip size (if needed) after the initial try till one finds what he/she feels the most comfortable. Also heavy spinners tend to use smaller grips so that their wrists have more freedom, while if you play volley a lot, you probably better find the size you can grip the racket firmly (firm, but not tight).

Tennis Ball Hitter
05-30-2005, 10:17 PM
IceT...

My experience as well, I tried to grip it tighter to prevent the racquet from twisting. I also found that too big a grip will give you sore fingers.

A while ago when I was forced to use an old spare racquet with a smaller grip than I usually use, it gave me a blister on my palm due to smaller butt and more racquet twisting.