PDA

View Full Version : Need help adding lead tape

axbige
05-25-2005, 06:28 AM
Okay, I've read the TW Learning Center article on applying lead tape. But what I really need to know first is how much and where to add the tape based on what I want to accomplish.

I have been playing with the Wilson Pro Staff Original 85 since about 1990. I stopped playing for 5 years and last year started playing again (recreationally, but almost daily). I would consider myself a 4.0-4.5 player, baseliner, but will come to net on occasion. I loved the Pro Staff but this year decided to change to a new racket. While demoing I loved the Head LM Radical MP and bought two of them but now that I've been playing consistently and am back to where I was years ago, I've noticed that I should have stuck with the Pro Staff.

I still love the Radical but would like to get this racket's weight and balance closer to possibly the Tour version of the Radical or even closer to the Original Pro Staff.

What would be the best way to go about doing what I'm looking for?

Thanks,
Erik

axbige
05-25-2005, 11:02 AM
Anyone?

Please!

Marius_Hancu
05-25-2005, 11:17 AM
how about doing a search at:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/search.php?
keywords: lead
or
lead tape
to read about the infinite variety on the subject?
MANY posts already.

SS
05-25-2005, 11:42 AM
1.Weigh your Wilson Pro Staff (ounces or grams)
2.Using a balance board (Alpha makes one) determine if the racquet is head light, head heavy, or even balance.
3. Do the same thing with the Head LM Radicals.
4. If the Head frames are lighter then you can add lead tape to it. How much depends on the difference in weight of the two racquets (Wilson vs Head)
5.I would cut a strip of lead tape and weight it and try to get the weight the same as the difference of the weight of the Wilson and Head racquet.
6. depending on the balance of the racquets (If the Wilson frame is head heavy and the Head frame is head light, then I would place the lead tape around the head area of the frame (placing lead tape on the 12 o'clock position will pull the sweetspot up, placing it at the 3 & 9'oclock position will help stabilize the frame - this will affect the balance of your frame significantly so play around with it until you have it in a position you feel is comparable to the Wilson frame)
If the Wilson Frame is more headlightand heavier (in weight) than the Head frame (more head heavy), then I would put the lead tape underneath the original grip (unwrap the original/repalcement grip) and re-wrap the grip.

Lead tape can make a huge difference - just need to play around with it in different positions, different weights till you find what you are looking for.

Gaines Hillix
05-25-2005, 01:28 PM
Okay, I've read the TW Learning Center article on applying lead tape. But what I really need to know first is how much and where to add the tape based on what I want to accomplish.

I have been playing with the Wilson Pro Staff Original 85 since about 1990. I stopped playing for 5 years and last year started playing again (recreationally, but almost daily). I would consider myself a 4.0-4.5 player, baseliner, but will come to net on occasion. I loved the Pro Staff but this year decided to change to a new racket. While demoing I loved the Head LM Radical MP and bought two of them but now that I've been playing consistently and am back to where I was years ago, I've noticed that I should have stuck with the Pro Staff.

I still love the Radical but would like to get this racket's weight and balance closer to possibly the Tour version of the Radical or even closer to the Original Pro Staff.

What would be the best way to go about doing what I'm looking for?

Thanks,
Erik

The LM Radical MP is almost 2 ozs. lighter than the PS 6.0 MID. So, you need to add a lot of weight to the RAD to morph it into a 6.0. Here's the solution that the USRSA morphinator tool recommends; add 2.5g of weight split on each side of the frame 53.34 CMs up from the butt end of the racquet and add 41.5g of weight at 7.62 CMs from the butt(it would be best to do this using lead sinkers inside the handle as demonstrated on the TW website).

axbige
05-25-2005, 02:10 PM
Thanks for the info. Basically, I'm trying to get closer to the Wilson setup. NOT exact. Just trying to get some feedback from others who have done something similar in concept and the methods they used to accomplish their goal.

By the way, I did search on this subject. Reading the same OLD posts about a particular subject really doesn't help.