PDA

View Full Version : Are we going to miss the 'old' YouTube?

OrangeOne
07-29-2010, 09:40 PM
Is it just me, or is YouTube frequently so, so frustrating now?

Firstly there's the ads that are everywhere. I mean, I know that it takes money to spin the machine, but if there was a little less money stop it altogether? Do we really need to click away an ad from over our videos constantly? Maybe if it hadn't have been bought for a billion dollars....

Worse is the copyright. First it was just audio being removed or whole videos being removed, but now... well, I'm in Australia, and I find myself clicking on things to be told "Vevo doesn't allow this video in your region due to copyright reasons". Why, seriously why, show me videos in the search results that I can't watch?

I can seriously see people sitting around now, and moreso in a few year's time, and talking fondly about YouTube in the 'good old days'....

Mansewerz
07-29-2010, 09:56 PM
First thing first: Adblock. If you are using google Chrome or Firefox, it's available, and I no longer have ad issues. I do share your gripes about audio removed but I hope I never deal with the Vevo issue.

OrangeOne
07-29-2010, 10:00 PM
First thing first: Adblock. If you are using google Chrome or Firefox, it's available, and I no longer have ad issues. I do share your gripes about audio removed but I hope I never deal with the Vevo issue.

Great call. I've been a firefox user for forever now, and I now have AdBlock. Much appreciated!!

Mansewerz
07-29-2010, 10:06 PM
No prob man!

GetBetterer
07-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Autoplay is automatically on! You turn it off? It comes right back on! How is it NOT frustrating?

tricky
07-29-2010, 10:17 PM
What I really hate is that Youtube constantly causes my Firefox to crash, ESPECIALLY if it's linked to that stupid Vevo thing. I just upgraded to Firefox 3.6 and got the latest Flash and I hope they fix that

OrangeOne
07-29-2010, 10:26 PM
Autoplay is automatically on! You turn it off? It comes right back on! How is it NOT frustrating?

^^ That too! I haven't looked - is there a default overriding setting anywhere? I now have a nice fat download limit, but still don't want to see it trashed sometime I accidentally leave a video playing and leave the house (very, very rare, but still...).

What I really hate is that Youtube constantly causes my Firefox to crash, ESPECIALLY if it's linked to that stupid Vevo thing. I just upgraded to Firefox 3.6 and got the latest Flash and I hope they fix that

Yeah - I think I remember some YouTube / Browser instability when I wasn't on mac. Have found it pretty damn stable on mac tho...

Feņa14
07-29-2010, 10:38 PM
^^ That too! I haven't looked - is there a default overriding setting anywhere? I now have a nice fat download limit, but still don't want to see it trashed sometime I accidentally leave a video playing and leave the house (very, very rare, but still...).

Yeah - I think I remember some YouTube / Browser instability when I wasn't on mac. Have found it pretty damn stable on mac tho...

Same, although I have noticed recently that watching a video causes the fans to kick in full blast. I know Mac's aren't great with flash and the like but still, it's strange it's only started in the last month or so on both the Mac's I use.

As for the copyright problem, there seems to be a few sites out there where you put in the address of the video and it rips the audio for you, meaning you can get a free mp3 of a song that I suppose they want you to pay for. It's annoying, but I suppose it kind of makes sense.

OrangeOne
07-29-2010, 10:42 PM
Same, although I have noticed recently that watching a video causes the fans to kick in full blast. I know Mac's aren't great with flash and the like but still, it's strange it's only started in the last month or so on both the Mac's I use.

Perhaps linked to the increasing amount of HQ content - more processor load?

As for the copyright problem, there seems to be a few sites out there where you put in the address of the video and it rips the audio for you, meaning you can get a free mp3 of a song that I suppose they want you to pay for. It's annoying, but I suppose it kind of makes sense.

Pretty much agree with the bolded section. Much of copyright law makes sense, but it was much less annoying when it was pretty much a free-for-all.

Feņa14
07-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Perhaps linked to the increasing amount of HQ content - more processor load?

Pretty much agree with the bolded section. Much of copyright law makes sense, but it was much less annoying when it was pretty much a free-for-all.

Could be yeah, the combination of all the ads and higher quality videos could be the reason.

Yeah I back the copyright laws, they should probably do something about the filtering though so you don't get all these videos coming up in searches that you can't watch or listen to.

FlamEnemY
07-31-2010, 12:39 AM
Worse is the copyright. First it was just audio being removed or whole videos being removed, but now... well, I'm in Australia, and I find myself clicking on things to be told "Vevo doesn't allow this video in your region due to copyright reasons". Why, seriously why, show me videos in the search results that I can't watch?

Germany here. Same thing, mostly with WGM and Sony Music.

tricky
07-31-2010, 12:53 AM
Also, WTH is this Youtube Rental thing? I mean, we're going to have to pay for the privilege of not having the browser hang up?!?

Thomas Crown
07-31-2010, 06:43 AM
now, there are ads embedded in the video on youtube. like network websites. so it's not like a banner ad on top of the video that you can close. now, you have to sit through the ad that plays before the video.

mikeler
07-31-2010, 11:22 AM

I stopped using Ad Block a while back and just use a Hosts file that blocks all the known advertising websites. Works 99% of the time.

NickH87
08-01-2010, 04:57 PM
I just re-enabled my ad block but the stupid ads on the youtube videos still pop up....anything I need to do?

Jaewonnie
08-01-2010, 07:11 PM
I'm lost...youtube was fine for me...

Falloutjr
08-01-2010, 07:36 PM
L2F5 10char.

jmnk
08-01-2010, 09:27 PM
@OP - you are free to provide ad-free youtube like service if you like. I mean let's see how long you will be able to keep it up.... it is a business, they hooked you/all of us, and now try to actually make a profit.

OrangeOne
08-01-2010, 11:39 PM
@OP - you are free to provide ad-free youtube like service if you like. I mean let's see how long you will be able to keep it up.... it is a business, they hooked you/all of us, and now try to actually make a profit.

Have you actually read much of the thread?

I didn't think so. If you had, you'd know that what you raised has already been discussed, that it's not even then biggest issue, and that it was discussed in a manner more conducive to interesting discussion than your post. Thanks for your input tho....

jmnk
08-02-2010, 12:09 AM
Have you actually read much of the thread?

I didn't think so. If you had, you'd know that what you raised has already been discussed, that it's not even then biggest issue, and that it was discussed in a manner more conducive to interesting discussion than your post. Thanks for your input tho....
yes, i have read the entire thread. You are complaining because you do not like how Google decided more and more often to include ads in the videos, while still providing the service for free. I fail to see the logic in your thinking that they should cater to your convenience regardless of the profit.
You also complain about the fact that the videos you can't watch due to copyright are included in the search results. Well, obviously some videos are copyrighted so there's nothing anybody can do. So it leaves the option to have Google figure out where you are located based on your IP address. ook - I give you that, it can be technically done. they chose not to, at least for now. It's their right.
Now if you are just saying that it used to be better, rather than complaining, than I can agree and apologize for not not understanding your true motive.
disclaimer - I do not like Google either but it is illogical to complain about the free service, where they made no promises to you.

AlpineCadet
08-02-2010, 01:53 AM
warning, ^youtube employee!

Hot Sauce
08-02-2010, 02:37 AM

Wow, thank you.

jmnk
08-02-2010, 08:33 AM
warning, ^youtube employee!
I wish...........

Power Player
08-02-2010, 09:47 AM
You guys know that Google spend 1.65 Billion on Youtube right? This happened in October of 06. When things like this happen, expect to see changes. If they are really bad ones, then people will move on to a different service. Perfect example of this is Myspace.

Mansewerz
08-02-2010, 10:04 AM
Wow, thank you.

:D No problem

athiker
08-02-2010, 11:12 AM
Wow, thank you.

ditto Mansewerz...seems to work perfectly! (I use Chrome)

Fifth Set
08-02-2010, 11:27 AM
Couple things that haven't yet been touched on:

For Mac users, Chrome helps the stability alot when using YouTube. Often got stuck for me when using Safari, almost never on Chrome.

If you think copyright law is inconvenient, how about Apple's incredibly annoying practice of blocking YouTube videos on ipad and iphone when they are selling those videos on itunes. Really bizarre that this sleazy practice has received so little attention.