PDA

View Full Version : Nickelodeon is officially dead to me.

SuperFly
07-30-2010, 09:33 PM
First, they put on these awful formulaic TV shows like iCarly, Big Time Rush, Victorious, etc.

Then they decide to make a movie starring FRED of all people (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fred:_The_Movie). (If you don't know who he is, youtube him and prepare to hate.)

Now they're making a live-action version of the FAIRLY ODDPARENTS. (http://amazon.imdb.com/news/ni3483286/) Starring a 25-year old to be the 10 year old kid. And GEORGE FROM SEINFELD as the fairy godfather.

What happened to the good Nick? The one with classic Spongebob? All That? Hey Arnold and Doug? Why have you gone down the path of Disney Channel my dear Nick? WHYYYYY?.....

SFrazeur
07-31-2010, 02:30 AM
Adventures of Pete and Pete was classic.

-SF

El Diablo
07-31-2010, 08:01 AM
Aren't we supposed to outgrow Nickelodeon --- when we're about fifteen??

PCXL-Fan
07-31-2010, 10:08 AM
Rugrats was the bomb back in the day. Rexar the dinosaur!!!

SuperFly
07-31-2010, 10:22 AM
Aren't we supposed to outgrow Nickelodeon --- when we're about fifteen??

The only place in my house where I get consistent WiFi is in my living room, where my little brother watches the shows I listed constantly (the only way I survive this is having . Not only is he being deprived of the shows of Nick's golden age, he's also learning to become a pompous jerk too. For example: every character in every show has an iPhone with the apple logo blocked out with a pear (:roll:) and they all drink coffee. Now my brother wants a phone like that AND he wants to drink coffee. He also walks around using excessive violence in normal conversations because that's what they do on the shows. Not to mention these shows are insanely boring.

It's just depressing that a generation of kids will grow up on these shows. Combine that with Disney channel and I start to lose hope for America's youth.

At 15.

/rant

NickC
07-31-2010, 10:44 AM
The only place in my house where I get consistent WiFi is in my living room, where my little brother watches the shows I listed constantly (the only way I survive this is having . Not only is he being deprived of the shows of Nick's golden age, he's also learning to become a pompous jerk too. For example: every character in every show has an iPhone with the apple logo blocked out with a pear (:roll:) and they all drink coffee. Now my brother wants a phone like that AND he wants to drink coffee. He also walks around using excessive violence in normal conversations because that's what they do on the shows. Not to mention these shows are insanely boring.

It's just depressing that a generation of kids will grow up on these shows. Combine that with Disney channel and I start to lose hope for America's youth.

At 15.

/rant

He watches Nick and Disney Channel at age 15?

That's what's wrong with him, then. Why is he watching shows meant for pre-teen females at age 15?

SuperFly
07-31-2010, 10:51 AM
He watches Nick and Disney Channel at age 15?

That's what's wrong with him, then. Why is he watching shows meant for pre-teen females at age 15?

No, I meant I was losing faith in America's youth at 15 (well, 16 in 2 weeks.) He's actually 9, and it confounds me why he watches these.

VGP
07-31-2010, 02:12 PM
What happened to the good Nick? The one with classic Spongebob? All That? Hey Arnold and Doug? Why have you gone down the path of Disney Channel my dear Nick? WHYYYYY?.....

Man, I remember when Nickelodeon had "You Can't Do That on Television" (with a young Alanis Morrisette) and "Mr. Wizard" with Don Herbert and some of my favorite kid's scifi like "The Tomorrow People" reruns and "The Third Eye."

About 15 years ago, Nick and Disney adopted a business model of making shows about tweener-age kids getting into some antics with the shows marketed to a slightly younger crowd. It took time, but that model's worked - hence your use of the word 'formulaic." Now, judging by Miranda Cosgrove's salary for the fourth season of iCarly of $4 million, it's definitely lucrative for them.

BTW, Spongebob is still on heavy rotation.

Larrysümmers
07-31-2010, 02:12 PM
I'm 17 and I must say it saddens me...I must resort to boomerang and adult swim for my cartoon pleasures.
It is true tho. Nick sucks now compared to when I was in 2nd grade.
I really miss rocket power!

TheOC
07-31-2010, 02:16 PM
Rugrats was the bomb back in the day. Rexar the dinosaur!!!

I believe it was actually "Reptar"

Just saying :P

Falloutjr
07-31-2010, 02:46 PM
Wish Nick would go back to the old days...stupid new***s :evil:

SuperFly
07-31-2010, 03:45 PM
Man, I remember when Nickelodeon had "You Can't Do That on Television" (with a young Alanis Morrisette) and "Mr. Wizard" with Don Herbert and some of my favorite kid's scifi like "The Tomorrow People" reruns and "The Third Eye."

About 15 years ago, Nick and Disney adopted a business model of making shows about tweener-age kids getting into some antics with the shows marketed to a slightly younger crowd. It took time, but that model's worked - hence your use of the word 'formulaic." Now, judging by Miranda Cosgrove's salary for the fourth season of iCarly of $4 million, it's definitely lucrative for them.

BTW, Spongebob is still on heavy rotation.

Woah, nostalgia attack dude. I know Spongebob is still active, but IMO it's not as good as the early days. *sigh*

maverick66
07-31-2010, 07:42 PM
Adventures of Pete and Pete was classic.

-SF

Salute your shorts was better.

Also who remembers Snick. Seriously with the cheesy horror show they had it was great.

Also they used to have quality shows like ren and stimpy. Now that was funny.

OKUSA
07-31-2010, 09:02 PM
If you want good cartoons I'd suggest switching to Japanese Animation!

Larrysümmers
07-31-2010, 09:13 PM

nah....its ok....i used to watch pokemon..but that is as far as i ever/will went/go

Jaewonnie
07-31-2010, 09:43 PM
Avatar (airbender) was okay. But spongebob is king, especially some of the medium old episodes. LOL at the "ChOcOlAtE!!!!" episode :lol:

flyinghippos101
07-31-2010, 09:59 PM
nah....its ok....i used to watch pokemon..but that is as far as i ever/will went/go

Sailor Moon is also good :)

Mansewerz
07-31-2010, 10:13 PM
Never liked spongebob all that much. It was alright. Rocket power, rugrats, etc were amazing.

Larrysümmers
07-31-2010, 10:40 PM
Avatar (airbender) was okay. But spongebob is king, especially some of the medium old episodes. LOL at the "ChOcOlAtE!!!!" episode :lol:

yeah i dont dig the newer ones

Larrysümmers
07-31-2010, 10:41 PM
Sailor Moon is also good :)

i got home from school right at the tail end of it so i never watched it lol

ThreadintheNeedle
07-31-2010, 11:52 PM
*shudder*

10 char.

OKUSA
08-01-2010, 12:51 AM
It has some of the best writing of any animation (and you could go as far to say it's even better than live action) ever made, so much more entertaining and thought out. Many people don't even try it or even hate it because of the stigma it has regarding all the freaks that watch it, but that's just a shame because in reality it's much better than almost anything USA can put out in terms of quality

Larrysümmers
08-01-2010, 01:51 AM
It has some of the best writing of any animation (and you could go as far to say it's even better than live action) ever made, so much more entertaining and thought out. Many people don't even try it or even hate it because of the stigma it has regarding all the freaks that watch it, but that's just a shame because in reality it's much better than almost anything USA can put out in terms of quality

i have watched it. sorry not into it at all. except for pokemon, i miss the original 150....

Jaewonnie
08-01-2010, 06:14 AM

Anime is good, unless ur watching eng dub, than it sounds terrible. Subs are the best.

NickC
08-01-2010, 07:57 AM
Salute your shorts was better.

Also who remembers Snick. Seriously with the cheesy horror show they had it was great.

Also they used to have quality shows like ren and stimpy. Now that was funny.

Ren and Stimpy was sick, my Uncle had all the episodes on tape back in the day, and he still has a big Stimpy stuffed animal thing. My god, that's like a nostalgia attack right there, takes me back to the days of when I used to rock out on Mechwarrior and Earthworm Jim back on my old PC and then go play stuff like Megaman X, NBA Jam, Mario: ALL-STARS, Mario World, Super Metroid on my SNES.

Crap that feels like decades ago!

Anime is passe, it was a big deal mainstream-wise 'bout 8 or 9 years ago, then once people realized that the only people that seriously care about it in this country are a bunch of sketchballs, it died out. I did read a little bit of Shonen Jump when I was about 10 or 11, and it was pretty cool then.