PDA

View Full Version : Playability of Synthetics vs Nat Gut

topspin
02-23-2004, 04:14 PM
After getting only 4 hours of durability out of my Wilson Sensation 17 and the string going from playable to crisp and losing tension in less than 1 hour, it is becoming more and more clear that Natural Gut is the way to go because of it's playability and tension holding properties. Other strings like Luxilon will also play more consistent and hold tension better than synthetics. So it is becoming quite clear to me why Nat Gut and Luxilon are the 2 most popular strings on the pro tour.

topspin
02-24-2004, 12:13 AM
keep those votes coming

topspin
02-24-2004, 02:31 AM
Looks like natural gut is ahead at this time. It's really the only string I've tried that I can honestly and clearly say that has improved my play. So many balls that would normally sail just long stay in instead, to the surprise of my opponent and myself. My brother noticed the exact same thing. And so far I've only tried it in hybrids. Nothing like it.

Jerry Seinfeld
02-24-2004, 05:07 AM
Hey. How does one respond to the poll? :?:

cc02819
02-24-2004, 07:49 AM
Natural gut is a fine choice however potential users should note the extra weight added to racket head (which leads to higher swing weight & less head light at net). I play with a mid plus racket which is generally weighted 7 to 8 grams heavier when strung with natural gut.

Meanwhile the added weights from natural gut shall have more material impact on light weight rackets.

Ben42
02-24-2004, 08:46 AM
I've tried a gazillion different strings in the past 5 years or so and here's what I've found.

The only string that really seemed to make a difference in my game was Luxilon Ace 18. It gave me great control for about 6 sets. Then it went dead and I couldn't hit with it. To me it wasn't worth the cost.

Natural gut (and hybrids) were to powerful unless I cranked up the tension. At higher tension its comfort benefit was mostly negated so it also wasn't worth the cost for me.

I feel like I play better with a basic, solid-core synthetic. A $5-$6 string like Gosen Micro, Lightning XX, or Hex premier suits my game fine.

I also find that I like fresh strings, so I'd rather get 4 string jobs for my $20 and restring every 2 weeks rather than get an expensive string and feel like I should keep it for several months.

tennisdad
02-24-2004, 09:44 AM
I'm with ya Ben42 - I like the strings fresh (=new) and won't spend the extra $ for anything beyond Prince Syn Gut 17 or 18g. That way, at $4 a pop and stringing myself, I can restring at every 8-10 hours of play per racquet without breaking the budget ....and the rest is up to me.

topspin
02-24-2004, 01:16 PM
This proves that everyone feels something different out there. I also like Prince lightning XX by the way and am ordering some today, but I know that the feel of it during the 1st half hour will be very different later on and so on. At least with my natural gut hybrid, the feel stays very consistent throughout the life. I have not noticed the extra weight of natural gut, only with Luxilon strings. In a hybrid, the extra weight would not make as much of a difference. Plus I like heavy frames. For those who say you get too much power with natural gut, you should try BDE Performance. It is crisper than VS (I haven't tried VS but have read many comments about it) and Bow Brand Championship and if you string it with a cross string like Gosen JC or even a Luxilon (like Federer does), the power problem becomes a non issue. You are left with a soft (but not mushy) feeling string with maximum feel and good combo of control and power that will last a long time and play consistently during its life and will not move much at all. For me at least, I find it's the best value in strings by far.

Flatspin
02-27-2004, 03:30 PM
Much prefer a durable synthetic. Bobolat Powergy 16, Laser Fiber Supreme, Gamma Livewire or TF.

polakosaur
02-27-2004, 07:38 PM
wilson NXT tour 17 is the way to go, plays just like gut, less than half the price and pretty good durability 20hrs, good tensions holding if you add string savers it'll add another 10 hrs to the string

topspin
02-27-2004, 11:17 PM
it may last long in your racquet, but how long does it maintain playability?

@wright
02-28-2004, 06:51 AM
I bought a used racquet and it just happened to have BDE rallye gut in the mains with sensation nxt in the crosses. Man, does this racquet play terrible. Not soft feeling at all, and too much power. I figured the gut would still play well regardless of its age, but can someone tell me, if gut sits around in a racquet, does it lose some elasticity? My gosen micro 17 feels WAAAAAY softer than the gut hybrid, but this experience has been good for me since it reinforces my using a cheap SG that still feels pretty soft.

topspin
02-28-2004, 11:51 PM
bde rallye does play significantly more powerful than bde performance; strange that it doesn't feel soft since both strings are soft, could also be the racquet.

@wright
03-02-2004, 09:41 AM
Topspin, it's the weirdest thing, even prince synthetic gut feels softer in my bats than the BDE. I'm pretty sure it's not the racquet, I have a long history with this yonex model. Could it just be that it's an old string job? Does gut lose elasticity over time without being played. It wasn't a new string job anyway, but does anyone have experience with this?