PDA

View Full Version : Top three tips to beat a baseliner

film1
07-31-2010, 10:19 PM
What are your top tips to beat a consistent baseliner with slightly above average power and who is good at hiting passing shots with a weak approach.

10s talk
08-01-2010, 06:32 AM
ace them

return and volley

drop shots

nfor304
08-01-2010, 07:14 AM
do they have a weaker backhand or forehand? If neither try and find another area of weakness that might not be immeadiately obvious. How do they handle short, low slice? High and heavy topspin? Maybe their backhand is great until tehy have to hit it on the run.... Everyone is different, and almost everyone has a weakness even if you cant see it straight away

NickC
08-01-2010, 07:39 AM
Move them off the baseline. Bring them to net, lob them, drop shot them, etc.. Make 'em move.

Anaconda
08-01-2010, 07:49 AM
Can the OP go into more specifics? Need your gamestyle and weaknesses of your opponent.

1stVolley
08-01-2010, 12:07 PM
In addition to the previous suggestions, consider mixing spins, pace and height. Do whatever you can to destroy their timing

ollinger
08-01-2010, 12:18 PM
A baseliner friend of mine was having his way with me most of the spring and early summer. As he likes to hit hard angled winners, I decided to frustrate him by hitting most of my balls straight down the middle, reducing his angles. He started making more errors wide and I've won 3 of the last 4.

Talker
08-01-2010, 04:09 PM
Keeping the ball deep as possible probably helps me more that anything.
Those short balls give too many options especially if they sit up much.

pyrokid
08-01-2010, 05:03 PM
First off, don't give him any free points. That's probably the most helpful thing in playing consistent players. Make them work for everything, and they will eventually start to break mentally. Let them know that they can't just beat you with consistency, and if they try to you're going to run their butt all over the court.

Secondly, mix it up. Consistent players sometimes only seem that way because you give them the same ball over and over. If you slice and angle it off every now and then, they really get outta their groove and start to make errors.

Third, don't try to overpower them, especially if it causes you to make errors or leaves you out of position after the shot, because chances are that ball is coming back at you with more spin and pace than the last one, and so you need more time, not less.

gino
08-01-2010, 05:09 PM
Get to net at any possible opportunity.

Crack serves.