PDA

View Full Version : Moving to Tucson, Arizona. Who here knows the area?

NickC
08-01-2010, 07:08 AM
Hey guys,

Like the title says, I'm moving - kind of. I'm transferring colleges for a second time, and starting on the 23rd of this month, I'm going to be a second-semester Sophomore at the University of Arizona. There's only one small problem - I've never set foot on the western side of this country. Ever. I don't know Tucson at all, and since it's going to be my new home until I finish my undergrad degree, I'd like to find out a little bit about the place while I'm getting settled before school starts. If anyone has any information or lives/has lived there in the past, I'd be happy as all hell if they could just fill me in about the area or just tell me of some good spots to go check out and all that.

Lemme know.

'preciate it.

ollinger
08-01-2010, 10:13 AM
Have spent lots of time there, my brother was on the faculty for over 20 years, eventually became Dean of the College of Science. Lots of hard courts at the east end of the mall, more (lit) courts in Randolph Park in the center of town, short bike or bus ride from campus. Lots of good restaurants just beyond Old Main (President's office, other administrators) at the west end of campus. Sorry to say the basketball program just received sanctions from NCAA.

NickC
08-01-2010, 11:06 AM
Have spent lots of time there, my brother was on the faculty for over 20 years, eventually became Dean of the College of Science. Lots of hard courts at the east end of the mall, more (lit) courts in Randolph Park in the center of town, short bike or bus ride from campus. Lots of good restaurants just beyond Old Main (President's office, other administrators) at the west end of campus. Sorry to say the basketball program just received sanctions from NCAA.

Ah, whatever, ya know? It's the Pac-10, Basketball is an afterthought in that conference. I'm still loyal to the Big East when it comes to Basketball. For college football, though, let's just say I can't wait for us to whip USC this season. It shall be good times.

GetBetterer
08-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Well, I was going to say "Welcome to Arizona!" but you're going to U of A so go kill yourself.

NickC
08-01-2010, 12:54 PM
Well, I was going to say "Welcome to Arizona!" but you're going to U of A so go kill yourself.

Ouch. I lost a close friend to suicide not too long ago.

GetBetterer
08-01-2010, 02:21 PM
NickC:
Ouch. I lost a close friend to suicide not too long ago.

No harm was intended on my part. Sorry.

NickC
08-01-2010, 02:23 PM
NickC:

No harm was intended on my part. Sorry.

No worries. What's wrong with the U of A? One of the best schools for Spanish/Portuguese majors, and in a great location for those wishing to practice said languages. I'm a Spanish/Portuguese major, so what's the harm in attending a school like that?

GetBetterer
08-01-2010, 02:43 PM
It's a good med. school, but it's also ASU's rival. ^^

ollinger
08-01-2010, 02:46 PM
Did I mention.....there was a "gentlemen's club" in Tucson on Craycroft Rd., south of Broadway.....very good place to practice your Spanish. (You can work on your Portugese before you leave, in Tarrytown, NY, or Newark, NJ)

Mansewerz
08-01-2010, 03:24 PM
Has the new law changed much down there? And U of A is a good pre-med school?

CCNM
08-01-2010, 03:28 PM
Never been to Tucson, but I've been to other parts of the state-Phoenix, Page, Kayenta, Yuma-and it gets pretty hot in the summertime. Winters are surprisingly cool (in Phoenix)

mary fierce
08-01-2010, 04:29 PM
Any major university is fine for pre-med, as the course requirements are relatively basic, essentially all introductory-level courses.

davey
08-01-2010, 04:55 PM
The Randolph Tennis Center is very nice. Lots of nice lighted courts.

I hope u of a fits your academic needs well because there's not much else in tucson. Think of the most bland suburb filled with strip malls and big box stores and that's pretty much it. Oh and by the way, it's in a desert.

jswinf
08-01-2010, 07:27 PM
You can play tennis year-round. A little cold a few days, steer clear of mid-days in the summer.

Little rain, no snow.

Tucson isn't quite as redneck as most of Arizona, but you never know.

There's a lot to do in Tucson, you'll like it.

goober
08-03-2010, 09:58 AM
There's a lot to do in Tucson, you'll like it.

All relative I suppose. But if you ask people from the Phoenix area- the vast majority would say there is nothing to do in Tucson.

ollinger
08-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Other than professional sports, there isn't much more to do in Phoenix than in Tucson. Things like theatre companies and orchestras out there tend to be regional, travelling to both cities, sometimes even to Flagstaff.

himynameisNIKE
08-03-2010, 12:09 PM
All relative I suppose. But if you ask people from the Phoenix area- the vast majority would say there is nothing to do in Tucson.

lol thats because there is nothing to do in tucson

jswinf
08-03-2010, 01:40 PM
I suppose members of the jet-set used to having breakfast in London, lunch in Manhattan, and dancing the night away in Rio de Janeiro could find Tucson boring. There are only a half-million or so people, a mere 30,000 or so students in the U of A...Phoenix is more exciting because you have to struggle just to breathe.

ollinger
08-03-2010, 01:43 PM
Really true....usually 5 degrees hotter (lower elevation) and considerably more humid (result of more standing ground water) in Phoenix.

goober
08-03-2010, 02:17 PM
I suppose members of the jet-set used to having breakfast in London, lunch in Manhattan, and dancing the night away in Rio de Janeiro could find Tucson boring. There are only a half-million or so people, a mere 30,000 or so students in the U of A...Phoenix is more exciting because you have to struggle just to breathe.

LOL

Personally I have no probelm with Tucson. But many people from Phoenix find it boring, not just the jetset crowd. Radio stations joke about Tucson all the time.

If you live in the phoenix area there is very little compelling reason to go to Tucson other than for school or work related reasons.

Nightlife: more of it and more choices. Scottsdale, Tempe and Phoenix have happening scenes.

Theater and Music, on any given night there is more going on and there are more venues.

Pro sports- All 4 major sports in Phoenix, none in Tucson.

5 star resorts and fine dining: Phonenix>>> Tucson. Not even really close.

Ethnic dining: Other than Mexican (which there is obviously plenty in Phoenix) not too much going on with this in Tucson. Asian Cuisine is much greater in phoenix.

Tennis: You have the Reffkin tennis center and what a couple private clubs? The Phoenix area has 7-8 large public tennis centers and probably half a dozen private clubs.

Most of the non-Arionza natives are from LA, Chicago and New York. Telling them they don't have room to breathe in Phoenix is pretty laughable.

bad_call
08-03-2010, 05:09 PM

heard that air quality is not so good in Phoenix area. not sure about Tucson tho. was over there about a month ago and it was plenty hot.

ollinger
08-03-2010, 05:19 PM
Phoenix air not very good, for the same reason the worst air in the country is the Modesto-Fresno-Bakersfield axis -- it's in a valley with not much wind. Tucson air pretty good.

sruckauf
08-03-2010, 08:18 PM
NickC,
Cool, sounds like a great adventure coming from CT. UofA is a great school.

I'm up in the Flagstaff area, but I come down to Tucson often for triathlete related activities. Ping me when you get there if you're jonesin' for a hitting partner.

AZ is a great state..

agalloch
08-04-2010, 11:56 AM
sabino canyon is a good spot to run
no anchovies near the u of a has a solid happy hour

ollinger
08-04-2010, 05:40 PM
sabino canyon features diamondback rattlesnakes and other venomous varieties.....run in Randolph Park or, better still, Rincon Park (a little further east, nice circuit with gentle hills).

bad_call
08-04-2010, 05:45 PM
sabino canyon features diamondback rattlesnakes and other venomous varieties.....run in Randolph Park or, better still, Rincon Park (a little further east, nice circuit with gentle hills).

i ran along the roads in the morning but the dang jumping cactus thorns still got me. :(