PDA

View Full Version : Cotton(normal) shirts Vs. Dryfit

dantesinferno18
08-01-2010, 05:40 PM
Am i just weird or do other people like good plain under shirts or cotton shirts for playing tennis instead of dryfit shirts. I used to just wear cotton durring practice and my nice shirts for matches but i always felt kinda weird/ different playing. I actually play better(or atleast i feel i do) with Normal shirts durring matches. What do guys think?

XFactorer
08-01-2010, 05:43 PM
I'm a dri fit guy.

himynameisNIKE
08-01-2010, 06:01 PM
i wear whatever i want 8-)

Jaewonnie
08-01-2010, 06:03 PM
Havnet tried dry fit but wore clima cool clothes. I like cotton shirts cuz wiping ur sweat feels more softer :lol:

imajica77
08-01-2010, 10:43 PM
there is no way in h**l you would catch me in a cotton shirt. why would you want to wear something that is hotter or wetter than the newer mirco style shirts

Larrysümmers
08-01-2010, 10:53 PM
cutoff cotton tee, the only way to go.

nicolaisidek
08-02-2010, 04:59 AM
Anything will do as I wear both cotton and drifit (which ever is available at that time)

hrstrat57
08-02-2010, 05:35 AM
Nike dri fit guy for as long as they have been out....

Just got a Fila white wicking technology tennis shirt with collar....outstanding!!!

40% off at Kohls.

mctennis
08-02-2010, 05:39 AM
I'm a definite cotton shirt guy. That dry-fit stuff feels like I'm wearing a plastic bag. Give me cotton any day. I also prefer cotton tennis shorts and socks also.

SirGounder
08-02-2010, 09:51 AM
I like both. The drifit and other similar materials are really nice on hot humid days

mikeler
08-02-2010, 09:56 AM
I tried dry fit a few years ago after a fellow player asked how I could stand wearing cotton in the Florida heat. Now the only time I wear cotton is when the weather is cool since it keeps me warmer.

JRstriker12
08-02-2010, 10:55 AM
If you sweat a lot the moisture wicking shirts (dry fit, clima-cool) etc. are a must.

There's nothing worse than a totaly soaked and heavy cotton shirt.

If your more along the cotton shirt crowd, I know Nike does produce dry-fit t-shirts with a blend that feels like cotton.

bayoozen33
08-02-2010, 11:32 AM
I wear C9 shirts from Target and Starter shorts and shirts from Wal-Mart, all dri-fit. They are all very nice and very light and I get them for cheap but also prefer them to the biog brands like Adidas and Nike which I have found are usually heavier.

mikeler
08-02-2010, 12:14 PM
I wear C9 shirts from Target and Starter shorts and shirts from Wal-Mart, all dri-fit. They are all very nice and very light and I get them for cheap but also prefer them to the biog brands like Adidas and Nike which I have found are usually heavier.

I buy the cheap ones at those places too. Target is my favorite so far. They do shrink over time whereas my Under Armour's have not changed size at all.

MurrayisBEAST
08-02-2010, 01:02 PM
I would never wear cotton! Only Nike Dri-fit. Dri-fit is so light on your body and cotton is heavier and makes you hotter.

Josephj1100
08-02-2010, 01:08 PM
Picked up a couple of Lacoste dry fit polos on 75% off clearance. Best tennis shirt I've ever played in, and they're even good to wear for style on a hot day.

Capt. Willie
08-02-2010, 01:36 PM
To me, it really comes down to the climate and playing conditions. In very hot humid conditions the poly based clothes are far superior. But if the weather is cool and not humid, cotton is more comfortable.

WildVolley
08-02-2010, 01:45 PM
My experience tells me that other things equal cotton is cooler, but cotton absorbs more water and saturates faster than poly. It is also easier to buy a very lightweight poly shirt than a lightweight cotton shirt.

Cotton is softer than poly and I prefer it for casual shirts. But cotton dries far more slowly than poly once it is saturated. When I hang wet cotton and poly shirts outdoors in the sun, the cotton can take more than three times as long to dry.

For playing tennis in hot humid conditions, I prefer a lightweight poly shirt with an open weave. The shirt still gets saturated but allows airflow to help dry it off and keep it cool like cotton. I'm not a fan of the smooth solid weave poly in these conditions.

Markov
08-02-2010, 01:50 PM
There are dri-fit materials that look and, to some extent, feel like cotton. However, they don't have most of the downsides of cotton (after playing, you don't look like you have been swimming with your clothes on). These are my favorite materials

dantesinferno18
08-02-2010, 02:00 PM
If you sweat a lot the moisture wicking shirts (dry fit, clima-cool) etc. are a must.

There's nothing worse than a totaly soaked and heavy cotton shirt.

If your more along the cotton shirt crowd, I know Nike does produce dry-fit t-shirts with a blend that feels like cotton.

Really? sounds like the best of both worlds. where could i get one?

kimguroo
08-02-2010, 02:25 PM

Nadal bull logo shirt material is 60% dri fit Material and 40% cotton.

aznfatmonkey
08-02-2010, 02:45 PM
The main reason I prefer polyester-based shirts is because when you sweat, they don't stick as much. I hate it when cotton shirts stick to your arms. I feel like it affects my swing. I usually just get cheaper sports shirts (from places like target, or from an outlet when they're really cheap). Tennis specific shirts are way too expensive.

Pink_Shirt
08-02-2010, 02:54 PM
I can tell a difference but it's not a big deal. I'll just wear whatever out to the courts.

JRstriker12
08-03-2010, 06:42 AM

Search for the Nike Dry-Fit shirts with a cotton blend.

examples:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Nike_Mens_Fall_Trend_Swoosh_T-Shirt/descpageMANIKE-NMFTST.html

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Nike_Mens_Fall_Rush_and_Crush_Rafa_T-Shirt/descpageMANIKE-NMNRCTS.html

IF you search around and find the plain/basic t-shirts without the tennis print, they cost about $20.

I bought a few from a one of the big-box athletic retailers on sale for about $15 each. Great for workouts, etc, but not tennis specific.

I think under-armour make similar shirts.

http://www.underarmour.com/shop/us/en/pid1005684-Men-s-Tactical-Shortsleeve-UA-Tech-T&cross_sell=true

BTW - WTF is up with this under armour disclaimer???? LOL!!!

Warning! This product is not flame-******ant, never use this Under Armour product as a substitute for flame-******ant or ballistic protective equipment; Do not wear it when exposed to extreme radiant heat or open flames; Under Armour products that are not flame-******ant may melt in extreme heat that exceeds 350°- Exposure of the skin to fire or flame can cause injury .

WChiang
08-03-2010, 07:02 AM
Cotton or dry-fit doesn't matter. It's the "look" that counts!

http://www.liebography.com/hed/JASPER2.JPG

fantom
08-03-2010, 07:25 AM
I went 100% synthetic shirts for tennis in about 2002........and I'll never look back.

BounceHitBounceHit
08-03-2010, 08:29 AM
If you are a heavy sweater Dri-Fit, Clima-Cool etc is life changing. :) BHBH

parasailing
08-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Nike does offer some that feel like cotton and are just as soft. I usually prefer the running dri fit shirts from Nike which are really good during the winter months. They keep you warm and dry.

FloridaAG
08-26-2010, 01:48 PM
Dri-fit only. Cotton t-shirts and South Florida are not a good mix for tennis playing