PDA

View Full Version : Polylon sp 17 replacement?

weed
08-03-2010, 11:05 AM
It looks like my main string for years has been discontinued. I know that sets of the string are still in stock but I refuse to pay 80 more dollars for the same amount of string.

I like how lively and soft this string is while still giving much more spin than a nylon string. and of course the great price in reel form. How does Isospeed baseline spin or polystar energy compare? has anyone tried the new polylon polyquest that is supposed to replace it? It seems to be out in other countries. Any suggestions?

rodrigoamaral
08-03-2010, 11:14 AM
i tried the polylon sp a few years back and thought it was just an OK string.. i see you are looking at the poly star energy and isospeed baseline.. im testing out the poly star energy right now and am pretty impressed so far, pockets the ball well and good power and spin.. the isospeed is pretty good as well but i prefer the polystar over it.. hope this helps

weed
08-03-2010, 11:24 AM
Thanks. Yeah i think a lot of people share your opinion but i liked the string so much that I went through 6 reels of it. what i liked most was its power. it seemed to be much more powerful that any other copoly i tried. It seemed like a string right in between a poly and a nylon. Would you say that poly star energy has power like polylon sp? how about baseline? I don't think I would want a string with any less power.. slightly more I could probably handle

rodrigoamaral
08-03-2010, 11:26 AM
i personally think the polystar one probably even has more power than the polylon sp.. what i like about it is that its a pretty soft poly and has good spin and power at the same time..i dont recall how much the polylon sp was in reels but the polystar is "pretty cheap" IMO

weed
08-03-2010, 01:54 PM
sounds like energy is what i'm looking for. polylon sp was only $50 a reel which comes out to $3 a set and at this point, price is a little more important than performance to me. not that the polystar is expensive but baseline is less than half the price

weed
08-03-2010, 01:55 PM
btw when you tried the isospeed, did you get a set or reel? I can't find a place that sells them in sets

rodrigoamaral
08-03-2010, 02:13 PM
sounds like energy is what i'm looking for. polylon sp was only $50 a reel which comes out to $3 a set and at this point, price is a little more important than performance to me. not that the polystar is expensive but baseline is less than half the price

yea, polylon is very cheap but i think energy really outplays in every category.. when you get a reel, its only a few dollars more per set and if the string lasts 2 times longer, then your getting your moneys worth

rodrigoamaral
08-03-2010, 02:14 PM
btw when you tried the isospeed, did you get a set or reel? I can't find a place that sells them in sets

i actually had a friend cut 40' off his reel and i tried it..

haderech
08-03-2010, 02:30 PM
It looks like my main string for years has been discontinued. I know that sets of the string are still in stock but I refuse to pay 80 more dollars for the same amount of string.

I like how lively and soft this string is while still giving much more spin than a nylon string. and of course the great price in reel form. How does Isospeed baseline spin or polystar energy compare? has anyone tried the new polylon polyquest that is supposed to replace it? It seems to be out in other countries. Any suggestions?

First, I would humbly suggest the polylon comfort. It has different string construction but similar stiffness, and I believe in comparison to SP it is more comfortable, with equal spin capabilities. Of course, a higher tension may compensate for a lack of spin in the comfort, if spin is the only factor.

I suggest secondly a cheaper option which you may be aware of: the polylon. Stiffer = crisper, similar playability can be achieved with decreasing tension, however the feel will be crisper. That said, spin should be greater even with a lower tension (let's say couple of pounds).

weed
08-03-2010, 05:15 PM
polylon comfort sounds good but is a little too expensive for me. I don't get why it cost more in reels than polylon sp when sp cost more in sets. I've tried regular polylon and could not like it no matter what tension. I'd like to hear more about isospeed baseline in comparison to polylon sp

netman
08-03-2010, 05:30 PM
polylon comfort sounds good but is a little too expensive for me. I don't get why it cost more in reels than polylon sp when sp cost more in sets. I've tried regular polylon and could not like it no matter what tension. I'd like to hear more about isospeed baseline in comparison to polylon sp

I just finished a back to back comparison of hybrids using Polylon Comfort 17 vs SP 17 in the mains, both strung with Gosen SM 17 in the crosses. Found the Comfort to be a great string while the SP was way to "springy" and powerful. I could take huge cuts at the ball with the Comfort setup and not worry about control, while the SP was all over the place. Neither setup aggravated my surgically repaired shoulder, so joint protection is not a concern. Test bed was the Pro Kennex Laver Type S mains at 62, crosses at 61.

-k-

weed
08-03-2010, 05:56 PM
I know what you mean.. i bought my first reel blindly because of the great price. I was using the wilson 5.1 surge at the time and the set up was too powerful. I thought I wasted my money and only strung my friends racquets with it. then I switched to smaller headed racquets with denser string patterns like the radicals, nblade, and the dunlop 4d 300 tour. thats where I think the string really works well. Now I look for the polys with that kind of power

rodrigoamaral
08-03-2010, 05:59 PM
I know what you mean.. i bought my first reel blindly because of the great price. I was using the wilson 5.1 surge at the time and the set up was too powerful. I thought I wasted my money and only strung my friends racquets with it. then I switched to smaller headed racquets with denser string patterns like the radicals, nblade, and the dunlop 4d 300 tour. thats where I think the string really works well. Now I look for the polys with that kind of power

i would prob try out a few different strings before comitting to a reel..

weed
08-03-2010, 06:20 PM
Yeah i havent committed to a reel. I'm just trying to get ideas on what strings to try and peoples opinion on them. So far I've ordered a set of polystar energy and found someone willing to sell me a set of baseline. Its seems like kirschbaum's touch turbo might be another powerful poly to try

0d1n
08-04-2010, 05:03 AM
I'm interested in this as well. Wasn't aware that SP is discontinued, and I'm down to my last set (from my reel).
The SP is a very good price/performance string, and for me the description of the most "synthetic like" poly is spot on.
It has pretty good feel, decent spin, is softish and has some power to it, but the strings don't move (unlike synthetics) and it has much better durability than synthetic gut..
Was cheap as well...not much NOT to like.

weed
08-09-2010, 12:02 PM
Hey 0d1n, i just read a description of polylon polyquest on another site. it said "formerly known as polylon sp" so i'm assuming its the same string and the price is the same so I ordered a reel

saigonbond
08-09-2010, 01:07 PM
Check out the Polylon Comfort. Its has the same stiffness rating, is about the same price, and has better spin potential than the SP.

Cheers!

dabudabuda
08-11-2010, 10:47 AM
Hey 0d1n, i just read a description of polylon polyquest on another site. it said "formerly known as polylon sp" so i'm assuming its the same string and the price is the same so I ordered a reel

Yeah, saw the same at Hola but thought I would contact Gosen regardless.

> Hello,
> Is there any difference in the material composition or manufacturing process between
the discontinued Polylon SP and the new Polylon Polyquest?
>
> Thank you.

Polyquest 16 is now a 1.29mm vs. 1.30 for Polylon SP 16. Both 17 match up.
Playability /feel about the same. Materials same for construction.
PolyQuest is
a very nice feel for a polyester.
www.gosenamerica.com

CzechM8
08-11-2010, 10:53 PM
polylon comfort sounds good...

I used to use SP 17 regularly and have tried Polylon Comfort twice. They're completely different strings. The Comfort is really nice and provides excellent spin when fresh but loses tension and elasticity rapidly. By rapidly I mean within 1 hour of hitting. I always had to cut it out after something like two hours because the string was unplayable for me.

Now I use the MSV Focus Hex 1.23. It's a little livelier than the SP 17 but holds tension well, provides great spin, and it's comfortable at 25/24 kg. The interesting thing is that when I bumped the tension by just 1 kg, it was just too stiff and my elbow was getting sore, so 25/24 kg is about the limit, given my racquet (Prince Ozone Tour MP) and my (often no-so-sound) technique :).