PDA

View Full Version : Choosing a multifilament string

Levente
08-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Hello Everybody,
I'm a new member here, this is my first note here.

I have MSV Focus Hex string in my racquet (midplus, cca 300g) but I don't like it. The feeling is not fit to me. I want to change for a multifilament string in moderate price.
I'm a intermediate recreation player, who play twice a week.

I found 3 similar string, but I don't know which would be better.
1) Babolat Addiction
2) HEAD RIP Control
3) Tecnifibre Multifeel
Do have someone any experience? Which is the most recommendable?

Many thanks.
Levente

TennezSport
08-03-2010, 01:14 PM
I have MSV Focus Hex string in my racquet (midplus, cca 300g) but I don't like it. The feeling is not fit to me. I want to change for a multifilament string in moderate price. I'm a intermediate recreation player, who play twice a week. I found 3 similar string, but I don't know which would be better.
1) Babolat Addiction
2) HEAD RIP Control
3) Tecnifibre Multifeel
Many thanks.
Levente

Hello Levente and welcome to the boards. From the strings you selected Addiction and Multifeel will be better at feel, power and tension maintenance. Rip Control will be better at control and durability. The best thing is to try if for yourself and see what works best for you. Good luck.

Cheers, TennezSport :cool:

shell
08-03-2010, 02:09 PM
Hello Everybody,

I have MSV Focus Hex string in my racquet (midplus, cca 300g) but I don't like it. The feeling is not fit to me. I want to change for a multifilament string in moderate price.

1) Babolat Addiction
2) HEAD RIP Control
3) Tecnifibre Multifeel

Many thanks.
Levente

I very much like Addiction and Multifeel. The Rip Control is very soft and very low powered, too much so for me. It also seems to lack durability for me.
Multifeel seems to be the middle ground of your three choices.

ced
08-03-2010, 02:32 PM
Hello Everybody,

1) Babolat Addiction
2) HEAD RIP Control
3) Tecnifibre Multifeel

Many thanks.
Levente

Of the 3 you list , I prefer Multifeel .... but you will do yourself a favor to give TOURNA QUASI-GUT (17) a try (it's a better buy and a better string IMHO than the 3 you list)

Levente
08-03-2010, 10:21 PM
Hi,
Thanks for answers!
I'm afraid TournaiQUASI Gut is not available in Hungary. (I'M Hungarian).
Then the Multifeel seems to be the best of this 3, or do anyone other tip?
Levente

ayuname
08-04-2010, 12:13 AM
You could try Yonex but yeah, I'd say go to Multifeel first then maybe Addiction.

MuscleWeave
08-04-2010, 06:44 PM
I've enjoyed playing Multifeel 16 on my 18x20 racquets for some time now. I tried it on a 16x19 I got recently and it felt pretty mushy, but the topspin was very good. For an open string pattern, I would go with the 17 gauge Multifeel. It's a little stiffer.

CHOcobo
08-04-2010, 07:09 PM
of the 3 i only played with the addiction and rip control. so far i like the rip control. it is very less muted than the addiction and more durable. its got a nice pop to it. the addiciton 16 for me started to crack very fast. the rip control is holding up pretty so far. it is really an arm-friendly string. i think the rip control 17 is actually 1.28mm although it says 1.20mm. it really didn't look like 1.20mm to me at all.

but i will try the multifeel soon. try all of it and see what you like. thats what im doing now. so far the rip control is the best bang for the buck.

Levente
08-05-2010, 09:31 AM
Many thanks for amswers.
I will try the Multifeel first, If it doesn't work then I will try the RIP Control.
Levente

Centered
08-05-2010, 10:39 AM
There is a plethora of topics about multi-filament strings. In fact, you'll find topics like "The Best Value in a Multi" on the first or second page. I'd take a look through what's around and then ask.

Levente
08-05-2010, 10:23 PM
Thank you for indicate that post.
I looked through, but my decision doesn't changed.
I'll try the Multifilament because there is a other reason too.
Technifibre is supporting our young talent: Marton Fucsovocs:)
I will report from the result.

Levente
08-05-2010, 10:24 PM
I meen the multifeel....

ManuGinobili
08-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Multifeel is a pretty nice and basic multi to start with. I like it better than Wilson Sensation. But if you can order Mantis strings from your place, definitely try out the Power Synthetic. Same price as the other two but twice the performance for me.

1stVolley
08-06-2010, 01:47 AM
String selection is rather subjective. It also depends, to some extent, on the racquet you use and your style of play. There is no one best string for everyone.

I'd recommend trying as many strings as your budget can support and don't forget to experiment with different tensions.

Levente
08-06-2010, 08:39 AM
Yes, certainly I know that the most authentic answer to my question is, what I feel when I play.
But there are so wide range of strings, and there is not enough money and time to try all of them.:(
The racquet stringer recommend that brand which one has a agreement with him. (I think so).
If I can select some brands/types them to find the right string is easier.

Centered
08-06-2010, 09:28 AM
I like it better than Wilson Sensation.
That's not exactly a ringing endorsement. Sensation is a poor-quality string.

JackB1
08-06-2010, 09:44 AM
Multifeel is a little softer than Addiction, but both are pretty close. Another good one like this is Head FXP Power.

brownbearfalling
08-07-2010, 01:49 PM
For the value, I would go with Head Rip control in natural or black/white colors. Since mf don't last as long, cost is a big factor for me.

TripleB
08-07-2010, 05:57 PM
Hello Everybody,
1) Babolat Addiction
2) HEAD RIP Control
3) Tecnifibre Multifeel

Many thanks.
Levente

#1) didn't last very long for me...used it as a cross and it broke within 7 hours
#2) not soft enough feeling for me (or a teaching pro I play with)
#3) seemed to lose tension quite fast and overall not very impressed with the string

2 multis you didn't mention that I love:
- Yonex Tour Super 850 1.30mm
- my new favorite: Mantis Comfort Synthetic 16g (chewed on it :confused: till it came apart and the fibers come off and fluff up almost like when you pick a cotton shirt)

A cheap alternative that I really like (would never have thought it)...Forten Sweet 16...amazing cross for the price.

TripleB

Centered
08-07-2010, 07:28 PM
There are a few reasons to get a multifilament string:

If it's softer than strings like monofilament nylon "synthetic gut", poly, and kevlar.

If it's stiffer than monofilament nylon "synthetic gut" but retains tension better than poly or Kevlar

If it's more resilient than monofilament nylon. Given that Tennis Warehouse's testing found that even thick plain nylon (Prince Tournament Nylon) can have up to a 99% energy return, efficiency doesn't seem to be a big reason to chose a multi over monofilament nylon. However, it's been discussed that Zyex has more gut-like dynamic stiffness than nylon.

If it has better tension retention than monofilament nylon.

---------------

Reasons to not get multifilament strings:

Stiffness equal to monofilament nylon. Example: NXT Tour. This is the prime reason some multifilaments have no legitimate place in the market. If they don't hold their tension better, aren't more durable, and don't offer more efficiency, then there's no reason to choose them over less expensive monofilament nylon when they're just as stiff. Tennis Warehouse's University page argues that stiffness is the most important criterion when comparing tennis strings, tension retention being of secondary importance.

The most common reason to make a multifilament string is to make a string that's significantly softer than monofilament nylon. Unusual strings like Ashaway's Vectran multifilament strings, which are a bit softer than Kevlar and stiffer than any poly, are exceptions. Yet such strings have a place on the market as they offer greater stiffness than poly yet more softness than Kevlar (with better tension retention). According to RSI's testing, for instance, Ashaway's popular braided Kevlar has much worse tension retention than the Vectran multis.

Overall value, including durability, tension retention, and stiffness. Sometimes natural gut is a better value, especially when dealing with $20+ packages of multifilament nylon! Gut is less stiff than any multi. Gut has better dynamic stiffness. Gut can be more durable, depending upon some variables. Gut holds its tension better.

---------------

Personally, I suggest testing the PEEK-based (Zyex) Ashaway Dynamite (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Ashaway_Dynamite_17_String/descpageACASH-ADYNA.html) and Dynamite Soft (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=4925220). Dynamite is considerably softer than monofilament nylon. It's also considerably softer than most nylon multis (including popular strings like NRG-2 and the horrid Sensation), although it should be strung at a lower tension than some strings. And, yes, it is softer than Maxim Touch. PEEK offers more gut-like dynamic stiffness, and Dynamite was/is being sold for $7.08 per pack by Tennis Warehouse (5 packs or more), which is an extremely good price in comparison to $20+ multifilament strings like K-Gut and Gamma Professional. The new Dynamite Soft is also particularly interesting because it should be even softer due to its thinner filaments of Zyex.

Zyex strings like Dynamite tend to be ironically described as being "firm" when strung at high tensions, too, so people who like a feeling of firmness may also find them appealing. Those who dislike firmness should string at low tensions, around 20% less than their usual tension. Nonetheless, the testing shows that no matter the tension, Dynamite is softer than a string like Sensation (when the other string is strung at the same tension).

Levente
08-08-2010, 05:56 AM
Many thanks for informations and recommendation but in my country just the European and biggest American (Wilson Prince) brands are available, unfortunately...
To order in the TW shop has some risk because the shipping fee is cca 40$.
May be I will order 10-12 pieces different string to find the best one, and then the shipping fee shared...

But I have a new problem....
Here is a Signum-Pro shop where is a sale (50% discount) of old type string. I wondering hybrid like:
Signum-Pro Poly Plasma mains
And Ultra Power SF or Kevlar speed cross.
Your opinion?
Is risky to buy a old string which was on the storage for 4-5 years? Has the time affect for quality of string?