PDA

View Full Version : PolyStar Strings

tennisfreak565
08-04-2010, 01:59 PM
Are they good, if so which one is best?

rodrigoamaral
08-04-2010, 02:02 PM
i am trying them out this week.. Will post a review this weekend (supposed to go out and hit in 45 minutes:)

so far I'm really liking both the energy and turbo..have only played with them for about 6 hours each.. pretty good strings IMO

kickenchiken92
08-04-2010, 02:30 PM
I'm glad you're enjoying the strings. How does the tension maintenance for energy, I was thinking of picking it up for a playtest.

T1000
08-04-2010, 03:09 PM
Polystar is okay, nothing special.

rodrigoamaral
08-04-2010, 05:36 PM
Polystar is okay, nothing special.

for the price, I'm not expecting it to be the best poly ever but at the same time, you can say the same thing about RPM Blast, it is okay, nothing special

for me, so far it is working very well but i'll see how it holds up till this weekend and will post back!

rodrigoamaral
08-04-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm glad you're enjoying the strings. How does the tension maintenance for energy, I was thinking of picking it up for a playtest.

tension matienance is OK.. it is a poly after all but the one thing that I'm really liking about the string is the feel and touch.. I'm volleying and hit drop-shots like its natty gut.. I'll let you know how it holds up.. I got 8 hours now logged in after tonights 2 hour hit...so far, so good

dekko1
08-05-2010, 06:38 AM
Are they good, if so which one is best?

they are great strings. there are lots of threads on them, just search.

gflyer
08-05-2010, 12:09 PM
I have been playing with Energy since a while now.
It's a nice "comfortable" and soft poly. Lot of pop and nice feel (for a poly). Also very good access to spin.
Tension maintenance is pretty bad IMO , but considered the price (if you get a reel) I can totally live with it.
Moreover, coming from tennis elbow, Energy is the only poly that doesn't bother my arm.
I am trying Turbo this week.
my 2c
Cheers,
g

austinjbrunner
08-05-2010, 03:41 PM
It's a nice "comfortable" and soft poly. Lot of pop and nice feel (for a poly). Also very good access to spin.
Tension maintenance is pretty bad IMO , but considered the price (if you get a reel) I can totally live with it.
Moreover, coming from tennis elbow, Energy is the only poly that doesn't bother my arm.
my 2c
Cheers,
g

Please post your experience with Turbo as now I am intrigued. I am looking for a softer poly that won't give me any arm problems. I currently use a hybrid of Hurricane and Gosen but I am still having arm problems (I think I just need to put down a racket for a while but I am coaching high school so that's a bit hard). Would love to see comparison between energy and Turbo!

rodrigoamaral
08-05-2010, 03:50 PM
my 2c
Cheers,
g

I'm actually in the same boat as you.. my elbow has been bothering me of late and I'm unsure if its my racquet or my current string setup.. This past week I have been testing the energy and turbo and the pain disappeared!! I never thought I would eliminate pain by switching to another poly. The feel on the energy is superb. The tension matienance could be better but if you are a stringer, you cant complain b/c with the reel, it comes out to like $5 a racquet..

austinjbrunner
08-05-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm actually in the same boat as you.. my elbow has been bothering me of late and I'm unsure if its my racquet or my current string setup.. This past week I have been testing the energy and turbo and the pain disappeared!! I never thought I would eliminate pain by switching to another poly. The feel on the energy is superb. The tension matienance could be better but if you are a stringer, you cant complain b/c with the reel, it comes out to like $5 a racquet..

If you had to choose between the two of Energy or Turbo, which would you choose? I have a stringer, so tension loss isn't a problem but elbow and cost are at this point. I plan on getting a few sets of each to test but just looking for more insight.

MomentumGT
08-05-2010, 06:03 PM
If you had to choose between the two of Energy or Turbo, which would you choose? I have a stringer, so tension loss isn't a problem but elbow and cost are at this point. I plan on getting a few sets of each to test but just looking for more insight.

Energy and Turbo felt like the same string to me, the only difference would be the texture of Turbo. I really liked Turbo a lot as I didn't find exceptional spin with Energy and the groves on the Turbo provided that. I broke Turbo pretty quick tho and it wasn't a miss-hit. . .couldn't be more than 40 minutes of hitting, broke right down the middle. Both have an excess of power, so I recommend stringing higher maybe 3-4lbs, but if softness is what you are looking for this is it.

-Jon

rodrigoamaral
08-05-2010, 06:09 PM

based on what i read, the energy and turbo is the same exact string, just turbo is textured or has edges (not sure but it gives noticeably more spin).. I'm liking both the same so far but i plan on playing another 6 hours from tomorrow morning to sunday night so I'll know more then :)

If elbow and cost are a concern, these are definately good strings to take a look at.. good luck and let us know what you think

austinjbrunner
08-05-2010, 06:55 PM
based on what i read, the energy and turbo is the same exact string, just turbo is textured or has edges (not sure but it gives noticeably more spin).. I'm liking both the same so far but i plan on playing another 6 hours from tomorrow morning to sunday night so I'll know more then :)

If elbow and cost are a concern, these are definately good strings to take a look at.. good luck and let us know what you think

Awesome, thanks for the insight all, I will definitely give them both a shot.

gflyer
08-06-2010, 08:33 AM

From what I read on the web Turbo is supposed to be very similar to Energy but just a little stiffer.
I will get the strings today in the mail and try them out this weekend and see if I notice any difference.
Cheers,
g

brownbearfalling
08-06-2010, 02:59 PM
FYI polystar energy has been around for a while. It's a great string at a very good price.

gflyer
08-08-2010, 10:11 AM
I tried turbo yesterday.
My brief review.
It plays similar to Energy overall.
First thing I noticed is that Turbo has less pop.
It is indeed just a bit stiffer, maybe it's just because of the groves.
Spin potential is better than energy but not that much more.
Energy for me has a little more feel.
Overall they are both very nice strings.
I like the added firmness of turbo.
The drawback is that it might saw my crosses (rip control) quite fast.
I am very tempted to switch to turbo but I need q little more testing.

tennisfreak565
08-08-2010, 12:15 PM
What about polystar strike?

High Roller
08-08-2010, 03:43 PM
^^^^^

Poly Star strings are very clearly cut from the same cloth, with the primary difference being the power/control equation.

In terms of control: Strike > Turbo > Energy. I have not used the Classic.

I also appreciate that I can buy 1320 foot reels, (with savings over standard reels), as i have several players who use Energy exclusively and go through strings like crazy.

rodrigoamaral
08-08-2010, 03:44 PM
I tried turbo yesterday.
My brief review.

thanks for sharing your thoughts.. I also thought they were both pretty similar and I'm unsure which of the 2 I prefer.. i do agree that they are both great strings.. I'm really digging the feel from the energy as I'm volleying really well with it

dekko1
08-09-2010, 01:19 AM
I tried turbo yesterday.
My brief review.

I have tried all Polystar strings, I have played quite a bit with Strike, and now I play with Turbo.
I don't really agree that Turbo is stiffer than Energy, they are the same string, same material, but Turbo has edges. To me it felt that Turbo was crispier, maybe fitted my game better as I hit with quite a bit of spin.
Now comparing to Strike, as High Roller pointed out, Strike has more control, not as powerfull and elastic as Energy or Turbo, but keeps the tension better and it has an unique feeling as it is not a smooth string.
Polystar Classic, is a good basic polyester, something similar to Kirschbaum Super Smash, but it is softer a lot more comfortable to play with.

But overall, if you want a soft but powerfull polyester string, you cannot go wrong with Polystar. Energy and Turbo lose a few more pounds than the avg polyester, but if you know that and string accordingly, they are amazing strings.

gflyer
08-09-2010, 09:02 AM
I have tried all Polystar strings, I have played quite a bit with Strike, and now I play with Turbo.
I don't really agree that Turbo is stiffer than Energy, they are the same string, same material, but Turbo has edges. To me it felt that Turbo was crispier, maybe fitted my game better as I hit with quite a bit of spin.
Now comparing to Strike, as High Roller pointed out, Strike has more control, not as powerfull and elastic as Energy or Turbo, but keeps the tension better and it has an unique feeling as it is not a smooth string.
Polystar Classic, is a good basic polyester, something similar to Kirschbaum Super Smash, but it is softer a lot more comfortable to play with.

But overall, if you want a soft but powerfull polyester string, you cannot go wrong with Polystar. Energy and Turbo lose a few more pounds than the avg polyester, but if you know that and string accordingly, they are amazing strings.
I think we agree on everything. Turbo is crispier which in my opinion comes from a tiny bit difference in stiffness.
Cheers,
G.

austinjbrunner
08-09-2010, 10:07 AM

So what did you string it at to compensate for the loss of tension?

rodrigoamaral
08-09-2010, 04:23 PM
thanks Dekko for your opinion on the strings!

I personally knew that the energy was a powerful poly so I added like 2 or 3 lbs to my usually poly setup.. i think 5% is reasonable

dekko1
08-10-2010, 12:49 AM

I added 2lbs.
Another thing you can do is pre stretch, but the strings will feel a little different, a bit stiffer, less ellastic.

ManuGinobili
08-10-2010, 09:20 PM

I personally knew that the energy was a powerful poly so I added like 2 or 3 lbs to my usually poly setup.. i think 5% is reasonable

I added 2lbs.
Another thing you can do is pre stretch, but the strings will feel a little different, a bit stiffer, less ellastic.

And I just go all the way down to 15 kilos

rodrigoamaral
08-11-2010, 06:53 PM
And I just go all the way down to 15 kilos

15 Kilos??? wow.. can you explain how that plays? Im curious as I know this string is already powerful and soft...

gflyer
08-12-2010, 07:53 AM
After playing ~8hrs with turbo i decided to go back to Energy.

ManuGinobili
08-13-2010, 03:13 AM
15 Kilos??? wow.. can you explain how that plays? Im curious as I know this string is already powerful and soft...

A little more spin, helps with the tension maintenance, lost the crispness of the string which many people like I think. If you look at the main lown tension thread, you will see that it's actually not a revolutionary change, more like a nice tweak - since most people adjust to the low tension very quickly.

rodrigoamaral
08-15-2010, 12:09 PM
A little more spin, helps with the tension maintenance, lost the crispness of the string which many people like I think. If you look at the main lown tension thread, you will see that it's actually not a revolutionary change, more like a nice tweak - since most people adjust to the low tension very quickly.

thanks for the reply and info..i cant imagine dropping my tension down that much. I usually string at 60 lbs and i have gone down to 55 and sometimes its hard control the balls but im getting used to it... Out of curiousity, what was your tension before you dropped to 15 kilos?

High Roller
08-15-2010, 12:54 PM

I agree with bumping he tension by at least a couple of pounds. Tension and stringing methods being equal, dynamic tension measured lower on my ERT with Energy 17L than with other similar strings I use. Not huge, but enough to warrant tension compensation. So far, this is the only co-poly string I have used with this measured anomaly.

ManuGinobili
08-15-2010, 09:06 PM
I agree with bumping he tension by at least a couple of pounds. Tension and stringing methods being equal, dynamic tension measured lower on my ERT with Energy 17L than with other similar strings I use. Not huge, but enough to warrant tension compensation. So far, this is the only co-poly string I have used with this measured anomaly.

Can you translate that into English? Not trying to sound mockery, I'm actually interested.

rodrigoamaral
08-16-2010, 01:37 PM
Can you translate that into English? Not trying to sound mockery, I'm actually interested.

LOL.. i think he meant that the string lost tension a bit quicker than other similar strings so therefore he increases the tension by a few pounds..

High Roller
08-16-2010, 08:22 PM
LOL.. i think he meant that the string lost tension a bit quicker than other similar strings so therefore he increases the tension by a few pounds..

Well, it actually came off the machine with a lower than usual DT measurement. Also, it does lose more tension overnight. However, it plays somewhat more crisply than the DT measurements would indicate. I do like to increase the tension setting, though. It is still a very good string IMO.

rodrigoamaral
08-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Well, it actually came off the machine with a lower than usual DT measurement. Also, it does lose more tension overnight. However, it plays somewhat more crisply than the DT measurements would indicate. I do like to increase the tension setting, though. It is still a very good string IMO.

thanks for the reply.. If i dont forget, Im going to measure the DT next time i restring my racquets with the energy.. i do agree with you that even with the tension loss, they are really good strings

High Roller
08-18-2010, 08:31 AM
thanks for the reply.. If i dont forget, Im going to measure the DT next time i restring my racquets with the energy.. i do agree with you that even with the tension loss, they are really good strings

You are welcome. I am actually loving this string and will be playing with it exclusively for the next couple of weeks.

ManuGinobili
08-19-2010, 01:49 AM
thanks for the reply and info..i cant imagine dropping my tension down that much. I usually string at 60 lbs and i have gone down to 55 and sometimes its hard control the balls but im getting used to it... Out of curiousity, what was your tension before you dropped to 15 kilos?

Oh oops didn't see... My usual was 24 or 25kg, so 53 or 55lbs I think. I did drop down to 20kg once, was curious with the Fed tension level. To be honest the string plays really well at anything.

Even though I've tried this string at 15kg before, this time it's a serious commitment with quite a few tight matches. Overall it gives a "plush" feeling (hate using such vague words but...)... extremely comfortable, I had a racket strung with Black Code at 24kg and that felt like a board compared to this... more ball pocketing-> more power.

There is that extra spin that makes the ball dips down and catches the line, but not crazy jumping spin Nadal style.

And of course it was more erratic, if you didn't have the time to set up, or is off a milisecond with timing, it tends to spray off more than the 55lbs version. For an example, one of my "weapons" (mind you this is lowly 3.5, 4.0) is a down the line backhand serve return. Last night, against a guy with a AeroPro Drive, I had a few mis-timings that just sent the ball way off.

But nonetheless control was still good. I think a major part of the reason why this works is because of the uncanny control of the Prestige racket I use.

Serves were really nice, but probably not much different from the string at other tensions.

Volleys required more delicate skills and attention. It was easy to push balls deep because the string has such exceptional feel, but it's harder to go for the kill shot than at 55lbs. As I mentioned in an earlier post, the string loses the crispness at this low tension, and this made volleying a little less fun too.

To conclude, I'm afraid you might not like 15kg seeing your preferred setup for the string. It's worth trying once in the off season or in a backup racket to have some fun with though :). Davydenko has it strung a bit below 40lbs so there must be some credibility in that.

WilsonPlayer101
10-18-2010, 09:03 AM
Has anyone here done any hybrid setups with natural gut? If so how was it? Thanks.

Love50
10-18-2010, 09:32 AM
Has anyone here done any hybrid setups with natural gut? If so how was it? Thanks.

I just strung up gut mains (Pacific Blue Spiral) with Energy crosses. Will hit with it this week (and update this thread if you don't get any other feedback).

I'm currently looking to replace my Pacific Poly Force Xtreme crosses - they have great control and retain playability for a relatively long period of time but they do stiffen up after a while. I've tried Energy crosses with a multi and liked the result but it's hard to tell how much of it was from the multi vs Energy. Hence the new experiment.

kiteboard
10-18-2010, 09:34 AM
I have a set of the extreme. Good depth control, and Gulbis used to use it before going back to alu. For a poly, it held depth in check. I could never volley with that low tens. No control for a hard hitter.

WilsonPlayer101
10-18-2010, 10:06 AM
I just strung up gut mains (Pacific Blue Spiral) with Energy crosses. Will hit with it this week (and update this thread if you don't get any other feedback).

I'm currently looking to replace my Pacific Poly Force Xtreme crosses - they have great control and retain playability for a relatively long period of time but they do stiffen up after a while. I've tried Energy crosses with a multi and liked the result but it's hard to tell how much of it was from the multi vs Energy. Hence the new experiment.

Love50, thanks I look forward to your review of this hybrid of Pacific Blue Spiral NG and the Energy Poly.

I'm tyring to figure out if I should use a cheap gut like Titan or Unifibre with Energy or a good multi like Volkl Powerfibre and the Energy. Cheap gut is cheap quality so would a good multi yield better results? I might just start a new thread on this and see if any one replies our you all can reply here too. Thanks.

WilsonPlayer101
10-18-2010, 10:15 AM
Actually I did start a new thread on this. Please see it and give your ideas on this. Thanks.

Dez
11-10-2010, 02:08 AM
I currently use Polystar Strike, it's my favorite along with Weisscannon Scorpion.
I used to use Energy 1.20, loved it but broke too quickly, the 1.25 lost tension just looking at it so I moved on.

IMO, STRIKE hold tension very well, has better control than Energy, less power but still maintains good feel and comfort.

STRIKE plays great at low tension, I've played at 18/17Kg (40/38lbs) with no control issues and the 400m reels are a bargain!

GoodSamaritan
11-28-2010, 09:25 PM
Can you compare Strike and Scorpion Dez?

ManuGinobili
11-29-2010, 12:52 AM
PS Energy + racket with heft = you shoot bullets

... downside is it's kind of an addicting feel that triumph over your need for placement.

dekko1
11-29-2010, 01:06 AM
I currently use Polystar Strike, it's my favorite along with Weisscannon Scorpion.
I used to use Energy 1.20, loved it but broke too quickly, the 1.25 lost tension just looking at it so I moved on.

IMO, STRIKE hold tension very well, has better control than Energy, less power but still maintains good feel and comfort.

STRIKE plays great at low tension, I've played at 18/17Kg (40/38lbs) with no control issues and the 400m reels are a bargain!

I have to agree with all that, I played with Strike all summer.
Now I am playing with Turbo; Energy and Turbo does not hold the tension as well as Strike, but I am in love with Turbo, great power, feel and crispiness.

acer4tennis
11-29-2010, 08:47 AM
I also heard that strike has a better tension stability.

ManuGinobili
11-29-2010, 07:18 PM
I also heard that strike has a better tension stability.

which has been mentioned again and again in this thread :twisted:

GoodSamaritan
11-29-2010, 07:47 PM
Manu and Deko, how do you guys think Strike compares with Energy and Turbo? They're all the same string just different texture correct?

ManuGinobili
11-29-2010, 08:11 PM
In a nutshell, no.... Turbo is Energy twisted (or edged, something like that), but Strike is a different formula (ro at least advertised so). I have only tried Energy so can't comment on the difference in actual play.

dekko1
11-30-2010, 01:54 AM
Manu and Deko, how do you guys think Strike compares with Energy and Turbo? They're all the same string just different texture correct?

They are not the same string.
So, Energy and turbo are more elastic, therefore more power.
Strike has a bit more control, and keeps better tension.
All strings have great feel, but all 3 feel different to each other.

GoodSamaritan
11-30-2010, 06:17 PM
Strike is sounding good right now :). Can you compare the feel, spin, and comfort dekko? Thanks