PDA

View Full Version : Temperature Sensitivity of Polys

LarryJ
08-05-2010, 06:37 AM
What is the general consensus on how polys are affected by high temperatures? For instance, if one were to leave their tennis bag in their trunk in the heat and humidity of summer, how much are the polys affected?

I would imagine that gut would be severely compromised from such treatment, but was curious as to the effects on a poly.

charliefedererer
08-05-2010, 07:57 AM
You are not going to get anyone to admit they left their strung racquets in a car trunk.

So you are just going to have to do this for yourself and report back. :)

As for playing on a hot day, I notice as the summer wears on and it's in the 90's every day, I do need to string tighter.

Irvin
08-05-2010, 12:03 PM
It is good practice not to leave strings in the heat. I string with kevlar some times and when I have a blocked hole I heat up the tip of the string. When you heat up the tips it makes them very stiff (like the end of a shoe lace) and it is easy to get the usually very plyable kevlar string threw a blocked hole. But you be the judge if you want to heat up your string by all means do it.

Irvin

fgs
08-05-2010, 12:15 PM
every material is temperature sensitive and polys make no exception. but as i mentioned in the other thread about the general temperature sensitivity of strings, you experience the interaction of the ball with the string. the balls are also temperature sensitive, even more than the strings.

Fedace
08-05-2010, 12:34 PM
What is the general consensus on how polys are affected by high temperatures? For instance, if one were to leave their tennis bag in their trunk in the heat and humidity of summer, how much are the polys affected?

I would imagine that gut would be severely compromised from such treatment, but was curious as to the effects on a poly.

Glad you asked. Polys do get affected by HOT weather. It doesn't matter if you leave it in the trunk or just play with it in HOT weather. I feel like in the summer time, my poly plays more Mushy and dies much more quickly. but in winter drier season, it plays more Crisp and seem to retain its playablility much longer.
Of course, NEVER leave it the trunk of the car. It will reach as much as 160 degrees in there and poly will go DEAD before you even string it.

LarryJ
08-06-2010, 04:18 PM
You are not going to get anyone to admit they left their strung racquets in a car trunk.

So you are just going to have to do this for yourself and report back. :)

Ive done this a couple of times now.....and cant say I feel any difference:confused:

Both sets of strings feel the same as they did before and the string movement is the same as before (i.e. there is none).

brownbearfalling
08-07-2010, 01:43 PM
As other advise, taking precautions is always a good habit. And especially with important things.

I have left a backup/emergency racquet in the car for a while, given that it doesn't get too hot in the pacific northwest, I don't feel a "noticeable" difference. It is strung with kevlar and syngut. I bet any day now the strings will pop and after that the frame. But I would rather sacrifice a racquet than a few spontaneous chances to play tennis.

Best thing to do if you absolutely have to leave your gear in the car during work or school is to get a tennis bag that has thermal lining.