PDA

View Full Version : Soft String like RPM Blast

Ramjet
08-05-2010, 07:23 AM
I tried the RPM blast 16 recently @ 55lbs and really liked it. Had it as a full bed in my C10. Thought it was reasonably soft (i used to use X1 which was obviously softer) but had fantastic spin and good power. Are there other strings out there that I should consider? My priorities are 1) Soft 2) Similar bite for spin 3) Durability - would like the strings to last 10-15 hours at least. Heard Cyclone, Blackcode are good options also.

Visene77
08-05-2010, 07:39 AM
head sonic pro 17 has a similar feel (soft not plastic or rubbery). cyclone and blackcode feel nothing like it.

WarrenT
08-05-2010, 08:08 AM
In my use there were 2 polys were both soft (amongst polys) and gave good spin. Genesis Spin-X & Pro Supex Blue Gear.

iTennis2609
08-05-2010, 01:35 PM
Kirschbaum Spiky Shark is also soft and has great spin potential.

corners
08-05-2010, 08:00 PM
FYI, Blast is one of the stiffest poly strings on the market. Stiffer than Alu Power, much stiffer than soft copolys like Pro Line II, Silverstring, etc.

Davis937
08-05-2010, 08:26 PM
I tried the RPM blast 16 recently @ 55lbs and really liked it. Had it as a full bed in my C10. Thought it was reasonably soft (i used to use X1 which was obviously softer) but had fantastic spin and good power. Are there other strings out there that I should consider? My priorities are 1) Soft 2) Similar bite for spin 3) Durability - would like the strings to last 10-15 hours at least. Heard Cyclone, Blackcode are good options also.

Hey, Ramjet ... if you like how the Blast plays, you should stick with it ... I've provided my opinion of the Blast on several different threads ... essentially, I really like the string and recommend it highly to others ... the string, as you know, received a lot of hype before it became available ... well, the string has definitely lived up to its billing ... the string provides me with needed power, spin, and control ... most importantly, the string is "soft" and quite "forgiving" ... this is of critical importance for me since I have a history of wrist, arm, and shoulder problems ... I played with the Luxilon Fluoro prior to the Blast ... the Fluoro is known as the "softest" of the Luxilon strings ... well, the Blast string is even softer ... I use the 17 gauge at 53 pounds ... also use a full bed of the string ... you'll find other strings ... but ... you won't find another string like the Blast, believe me!

saigonbond
08-05-2010, 08:29 PM
FYI, Blast is one of the stiffest poly strings on the market. Stiffer than Alu Power, much stiffer than soft copolys like Pro Line II, Silverstring, etc.

Corners is quite correct. RPMB is not a soft poly. TW string performance tool also shows it to be one of the stiffest strings they sell.

Here's 25 of the USRSA softest polys:
(Name: Gauge: Material: Diameter: Stiffness: Tension Loss:)

Babolat Pro Hurricane 18 Polyester 1.21 187 22.29
Head Sonic Pro 17 Polyester 1.23 199 23.09
Tecnifibre Promix 17 (1.25) Polyester 1.27 199 13.72
Pacific Poly Power 18 Polyester 1.09 201 21.17
Tecnifibre Promix 16 (1.30) Polyester 1.29 204 14.99
Gosen Polylon SP 17 Polyester 1.25 215 20.7
Gosen Polylon Comfort 17 Polyester 1.26 215 19.91
Pro Supex Poly Power Soft 1.15 Polyester 1.13 216 19.69
Kirschbaum Competition 1.20 Polyester 1.19 219 19.09
Isospeed Pyramid Polyester 1.28 219 24.19
Signum Pro Poly-Deluxe 1.22 Polyester 1.2 220 19.11
Pacific Force 18 Polyester 1.19 222 17.09
Tecnifibre Pro Red Code 18 Polyester 1.19 222 18.89
Klip K-Boom 18 Polyester 1.19 223 18.88
Gamma Zo True 18 Polyester 1.13 224 17.55
Kirschbaum Pro Line No.2 1.15 Polyester 1.16 224 18.92
Wilson Enduro Pro 18 Polyester 1.21 224 17.02
Pro Supex Big Ace 1.22 Polyester 1.21 225 18.68
Luxilon Big Banger Alu Power Fluoro 123 Polyester 1.23 226 17.64
Toalson Cyber Blade Thermaxe 123 Polyester 1.23 226 17.97
Babolat Pro Hurricane 17 Polyester 1.25 226 16.83
Kirschbaum P2 1.20 Polyester 1.18 227 18.1
Signum Pro Poly Megaforce 1.19 Polyester 1.19 227 16.67
Pro Supex Poly Master 1.25 Polyester 1.25 228 20.59
Kirschbaum Pro Line No.2 1.20 Polyester 1.18 229 18.19

Cheers!

saigonbond
08-05-2010, 08:59 PM
... (RPMB) string is "soft" and quite "forgiving" ... this is of critical importance for me since I have a history of wrist, arm, and shoulder problems ... I played with the Luxilon Fluoro prior to the Blast ... the Fluoro is known as the "softest" of the Luxilon strings ... well, the Blast string is even softer ...

A stiffness of 274 is not soft. You are unfortunately mistaken comparing RPMB to Fluoro.

Davis937
08-05-2010, 09:24 PM
The RPM Blast at 17 gauge and 53 pounds definitely plays soft ... try it, you'll like it ... the trick is to play the string at a lower tension ...

saigonbond
08-05-2010, 09:43 PM
The RPM Blast at 17 gauge and 53 pounds definitely plays soft ... try it, you'll like it ... the trick is to play the string at a lower tension ...

At 56 lbs. it would still be about 240.
Sounds like you have a future in advertising and marketing though... which Bab has done a tremendous job with RPMB.

radionise
08-06-2010, 01:45 AM
I've used RPM blast 17g in full bed before and I can say that when strung at a relatively lower tension (somewhat relatively low) it does feel relatively soft. Yes the string is supposed to be on the stiff side. For me, I can feel a big difference when it is strung at 58 lbs, compared to when strung at 55 lbs.

Ramjet I am in the same situation like you - love the RPM blast at 55 lbs, but am strugling to justify price, especially when it last me only a week due to noticeable tension loss after that... am still experimenting with different strings to find a good alternative. FYI I've played with MSV Focus Hex 17g for a week and a half now and find that it is nowhere similar to RPM blast - not to say that the Focus HEX is not a good string, it just doesn't seem to suit my game.

Hooked
08-06-2010, 01:58 AM
saigonbond,

It sounds like you have not tried RPM Blast. It plays soft - even at high tension. I wouldn't knock it before you try it. I was skeptical about all of the hype too, but tried it and was very impressed with the amount of spin, comfort and longevity I was getting compared to the Lux BB Alu Pwr/Rgh I had been using. Now I'm looking for something that plays close to RPMB for less cost and will be trying MSV Focus EVO 16g this weekend on one of my K90s. I understand it has almost as low of a coefficient of friction (shown to produce spin) as RPM Blast at about half the cost.

I agree with Davis937 that RPMB plays soft, but I disagree about it not playing soft at high tension. Of couse this is relative, but it plays softer than the Luxilon BB strings at similar tensions and doesn't fade as quickly. In fairness, the Lux I was using were slightly thinner 1.25/1.30 vs 1.34 for RPMB and should lose tension more quickly but restringing every other match is not realistic for me.

A good friend of mine has a Volkl C10 with RPMB @ 60 and I enjoyed it, although the frame had too much vibration without the dampener installed. He also has a Yonex RDS0001 Mid+ with RPMB at mid 50's and it is extremely comfortable but it had a little too much spring for me.

I would recommend you stick with RPMB and if you find something that plays better or the same for less money, please let me know.

GameSetMatch
08-06-2010, 04:11 AM
soft copolys like Pro Line II

I really wish people would stop perpetuating that myth. Pro Line II is not a soft poly. It doesn't play soft and it isn't soft feeling on the arm. Obviously, its not as stiff as some of the Lux string, but its not a 'soft' poly. PH is soft, Sonic Pro is soft, BlackCode is a softer poly, but PLII dosen't fall into that category.

Edberg
08-06-2010, 07:07 AM
I really wish people would stop perpetuating that myth. Pro Line II is not a soft poly. It doesn't play soft and it isn't soft feeling on the arm. Obviously, its not as stiff as some of the Lux string, but its not a 'soft' poly. PH is soft, Sonic Pro is soft, BlackCode is a softer poly, but PLII dosen't fall into that category.

The thinner the gauge the softer. And Kirsch Competition is softer than Pro Line II.

Fedace
08-06-2010, 07:11 AM

Proline 2 or Helix string from Kirschbaum. spiky shark is kind of soft but it has Awful feel, you won't like it.
Try the Helix,,,,it is awsomely soft and very nice spin.

WarrenT
08-06-2010, 08:53 AM
Yes this seems to be a case where subjective figures "TW stiffness" rating doesn't translate well to real world use. I've used RPM multiple times and I have to agree with other posters that it does indeed feel "soft" and quite comfortable. Test numbers in a lab are one thing, but real world use is what really matters in the end.

I don't think RPM is worthy of all the hype or cost though. It was a decent string, notably comfortable but nothing special on spin or other performance. For the price there are better comfort or spin polys on the market.

austinjbrunner
08-06-2010, 09:13 AM
Yes this seems to be a case where subjective figures "TW stiffness" rating doesn't translate well to real world use. I've used RPM multiple times and I have to agree with other posters that it does indeed feel "soft" and quite comfortable. Test numbers in a lab are one thing, but real world use is what really matters in the end.

I don't think RPM is worthy of all the hype or cost though. It was a decent string, notably comfortable but nothing special on spin or other performance. For the price there are better comfort or spin polys on the market.

I disagree on the nothing special in terms of spin, but that's all opinionated.

Supposedly, PolyStar strings are on the soft side, but I can't give my own 2 cents on that one yet (in a two weeks after I play with them for a bit maybe). Hurricane has given me my fair share of arm problems, so I wouldn't necessarily clarify that as a soft poly. It might be for some but going from RPM to Hurricane hybrid was painful for me.

TennisCJC
08-06-2010, 10:08 AM
Try Signum Pro Hyperion or Signum Pro Tonado (textured). Both are softer and good polys. Signum is softer than Blackcode in my opinion, and less expensive too.

Fedace
08-06-2010, 10:10 AM
Try the Helix, you won't be disappointed. It is very soft. softer than RPM. I have a set, i can sell

saigonbond
08-06-2010, 03:47 PM
It sounds like you have not tried RPM Blast. It plays soft - even at high tension. I wouldn't knock it before you try it.

After teaching and stringing for 15 years, it would be ridiculously naive of me to give facts and opinions on any string without playtesting it myself. You know what they say when you assume things...

With that being said, I've yet to give any opinions... positive or negative regarding RPMB, so here's my 2 cents.
I believe a few of you are correct in saying that as tensions closer to 50 lbs. will make RPMB "feel softer." However, that can be said of most co-polys. At higher tensions (shall we say 58 lbs+ for a poly) this is simply not the case, its quite stiff. RPMB is not at all a bad string, but the contrary. Its a good string that requires a higher level of skill (probably 4.5+) to bring out its best quality being spin potential.

In my experience (as well as the consensus of 5 other pros at our club who are all 5.5+), there was great difficultly in finding the optimal tension to provide power and control to go along with the spin, while maintaing tension for longer than 3 hours of heavy training. It had a average tension loss of -24%. Durability was average to below average for a poly, as 3/6 broke their full sets and the others had severe notching during each round of non-scientific testing. We all preferred the 1.30 to the 1.25 at the higher tension.
Three rounds were done with all of us hitting with retail stock PDGTs with the RPMB 1.25 & 1.30, strung at 60, 55, then 50 lbs. A Bab Sensor machine and Bab RDC was used during testing.

Our group is currently playtesting Genesis Black Magic & SpinX; Mantis Comfort & Power Polys; and Polyfibre Hightec Premium, Poly Hightec, & Viper. These co-polys all have lab stiffness ratings much lower than RPMB. Interestingly enough, they are all less expensive as well ( RPMB $16.95/set, $225/reel).
I would be glad to give updates on these subsequent playtests.

Cheers!

radionise
08-06-2010, 06:09 PM
Saigonbond,

Looking forward to hear your reviews. Any chance you guys will be testing the Polyfibre Hexablade?

JackB1
08-06-2010, 06:31 PM
Polyfibre TCS is one of the truly SOFT copoly's out there. I bought a couple of packs, but it's just not for me. $10 if anyone's interested....

saigonbond
08-07-2010, 12:00 PM
Saigonbond,

Looking forward to hear your reviews. Any chance you guys will be testing the Polyfibre Hexablade?

So let it be written, so let it be done... I'll post an update soon. We're just about done with the Genesis testing.

A couple of members at our club asked us about the Hexablade as well, so it sounds like it would be worthwhile to possibly add it to our testing. I'll give one of our reps a holla and see if he can hook us up.

Cheers!

saigonbond
08-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Polyfibre TCS is one of the truly SOFT copoly's out there. I bought a couple of packs, but it's just not for me. $10 if anyone's interested....

You're definitely on the money here Jack. I personally haven't hit with it, but 3 of our other pros have and they told me exactly what you said about its "softness." Lab tests also confirm this, especially the 17ga. Their one complaint was about its tension maintenance.

Cheers!

rodrigoamaral
08-08-2010, 02:48 PM
So let it be written, so let it be done... I'll post an update soon. We're just about done with the Genesis testing.

A couple of members at our club asked us about the Hexablade as well, so it sounds like it would be worthwhile to possibly add it to our testing. I'll give one of our reps a holla and see if he can hook us up.

Cheers!

I was also looking at the hexablade string from polyfibre, it caught my attention.. if you do test it out, be sure to let us know and I'm unsure if i should it try it or not

saigonbond
08-09-2010, 03:07 PM
I apologize if I appear to be hijacking this thread, its not my intention. I'm trying to pass on some info for those who asked, after throwing my 2 cents in about RPMB (according to our playtest).

Here's my 2 cents after completing our Genesis playtest (same procedure as with the RPMB). I'll try to summarize the key points so its not a book.

Black Magic 1.23, 1.29, black, $7.90/set, $84.90/reel:
While this is a "softer" co-poly, it is by no means soft in terms of stiffness rating (17/252, 16/261). There were some oohs and ahhs from the first several hits from all our pros (5.5+, 4 guys, 2 gals, 4 baseliners, 2 S&V'ers). The BM had a distinct pop when solid contact was made. There was an immediate consensus of BM's ball pocketing and "softness." This may sound weird, but it was crisp at the same time which allowed us to really dial in the medium power level. Our baseliners especially liked the easy generation of power and spin. The BM is very hard to describe. I think its one of those strings that you really should playtest for yourself to accurately describe its feel. The BM actually felt better at the higher tension, because of its "softer" feel. We were all quite suprised at the tension maintenance (average of only -13%) and durabilty (1 of us broke their set of 1.23) after banging balls for 3 hours. 6/6 preferred the 1.23.

Spin X 1.23, 1.29, red, silver, $9.90/set, $99.90/reel:
The stiffness rating (17/250, 16/250), is similar to the BM and like BM, falls in the upper middle of the pack in terms of stiffness. The SpX played similarly to the BM. It played a bit softer (especially the red). The spin potential was addicting as we rated it near MSV Focus Hex (which we all loved for its spin). SpX was a tad lower powered than BM but not much. Interestingly enough, our 2 S&V'ers preferred the SpX to the BM. 5/6 of us preferred the higher tension on the red and middle tension on the silver. The tension maintenance was very good (average of -15%) and durability was as well (2 broke their set of red 1.23). To give you a reference point about tension loss, we averaged -23% while playtesting Lux BB Alu Pwr. 1/2 preferred the red and 1/2 preferred the 1.23, while the other 1/2 preferred the silver and the 1.29. The red, by the way, is really somewhere in between pink and red.

Both BM and SpX are 2 of the newer "softer" co-polys that we recommend playtesting. Their performance/price ratio is simply outstanding. I believe it is a crying shame that TW has said they have no plans on carrying Genesis strings, so their customers can give them a go. Hopefully this changes eventually. We hope to playtest Genesis Typhoon, Heptonic, and Xplosion sometime in the near future. If they have anywhere near the same performance of BM and SpX, we're in for a treat!

Cheers!

saigonbond
08-09-2010, 03:22 PM
Saigonbond,

I was also looking at the hexablade string from polyfibre, it caught my attention.. if you do test it out, be sure to let us know and I'm unsure if i should it try it or not

We'll be playtesting Polyfibre next. The revised lineup will include Hightec Premium, Viper, and Hexablade.
I'm battling some plantar fascitis so it may just be our fearsome five-some playtesting instead of our super six. Looks like I'll probably be relegated to stringing and doing measurements :(

Cheers!

rodrigoamaral
08-09-2010, 03:26 PM
I apologize if I appear to be hijacking this thread, its not my intention. I'm trying to pass on some info for those who asked, after throwing my 2 cents in about RPMB (according to our playtest).

Here's my 2 cents after completing our Genesis playtest (same procedure as with the RPMB). I'll try to summarize the key points so its not a book.

While this is a "softer" co-poly, it is by no means soft in terms of stiffness rating (17/252, 16/261). There were some oohs and ahhs from the first several hits from all our pros (5.5+, 4 guys, 2 gals, 4 baseliners, 2 S&V'ers). The BM had a distinct pop when solid contact was made. There was an immediate consensus of BM's ball pocketing and "softness." This may sound weird, but it was crisp at the same time which allowed us to really dial in the medium power level. Our baseliners especially liked the easy generation of power and spin. The BM is very hard to describe. I think its one of those strings that you really should playtest for yourself to accurately describe its feel. The BM actually felt better at the higher tension, because of its "softer" feel. We were all quite suprised at the tension maintenance (average of only -13%) and durabilty (1 of us broke their set of 1.23) after banging balls for 3 hours. 6/6 preferred the 1.23.

The stiffness rating (17/250, 16/250), is similar to the BM and like BM, falls in the upper middle of the pack in terms of stiffness. The SpX played similarly to the BM. It played a bit softer (especially the red). The spin potential was addicting as we rated it near MSV Focus Hex (which we all loved for its spin). SpX was a tad lower powered than BM but not much. Interestingly enough, our 2 S&V'ers preferred the SpX to the BM. 5/6 of us preferred the higher tension on the red and middle tension on the silver. The tension maintenance was very good (average of -15%) and durability was as well (2 broke their set of red 1.23). To give you a reference point about tension loss, we averaged -23% while playtesting Lux BB Alu Pwr. 1/2 preferred the red and 1/2 preferred the 1.23, while the other 1/2 preferred the silver and the 1.29. The red, by the way, is really somewhere in between pink and red.

Both BM and SpX are 2 of the newer "softer" co-polys that we recommend playtesting. Their performance/price ratio is simply outstanding. I believe it is a crying shame that TW has said they have no plans on carrying Genesis strings, so their customers can give them a go. Hopefully this changes eventually. We hope to playtest Genesis Typhoon, Heptonic, and Xplosion sometime in the near future. If they have anywhere near the same performance of BM and SpX, we're in for a treat!

Cheers!

thanks for the review.. good stuff. I agree with you that both are very good strings at a great price.. I know TW doesnt have them but if others want to try Tennis express has them....

genius24
08-09-2010, 04:52 PM

solinco barb wire fits everything you are looking for. its soft (softer than tour bite), crazy amounts of spin (def more than rpm blast and even more than tour bite IMO), and durable (it has good tension maintenance as well)...

rodrigoamaral
08-10-2010, 12:34 PM
We'll be playtesting Polyfibre next. The revised lineup will include Hightec Premium, Viper, and Hexablade.
I'm battling some plantar fascitis so it may just be our fearsome five-some playtesting instead of our super six. Looks like I'll probably be relegated to stringing and doing measurements :(

Cheers!

feel better man.. If you happen to test out the hexabalde and black venom, I'm interested to hear what you think of them.. i mighty try them out myself but im going on vacation for a few weeks so no tennis for me :(

Buckethead
08-12-2010, 04:50 AM
to the OP:
You feel RPM Blast is soft,not because the string itself,but because of your racket,which is a great and very comfy racket.
The string itself is stiff,as said before no for many,but for an exclusive group of tennis players.If you like RPM Blast on your Volkl C10,try Hyperion,WC Match Power,in my opinion a great string.
Saigonbond,why don't you just make your own thread with all the reviews and facts of the strings tested?
I jump in it

BustedString
08-23-2010, 04:57 AM

I agree! I have it in the mains with VS in the crosses and my arm is dead right now. Going to full gut for a few months to help it heal. It was fine before RPM.

Hooked
08-23-2010, 06:01 AM
I agree! I have it in the mains with VS in the crosses and my arm is dead right now. Going to full gut for a few months to help it heal. It was fine before RPM.

Please excuse my lack of knowledge in the area as I have not tried hybrid stringing yet, but why not use the VS gut in the mains and a Poly in the crosses?

Fedace
08-23-2010, 06:08 AM
RPM blast felt very harsh at 62 lbs. at 53 lbs felt very soft. so this string is confusing at times.

High Roller
08-23-2010, 07:06 AM

Cheers!

This is a very accurate assessment IMO. I have a feeling you will also like Typhoon. BM may have the best performance balance of any string out there, especially at the price point. I go through reels of the 1.23 like crazy. After testing the newest flavors, everybody keeps coming back to this stuff - myself included.

Rob1
08-23-2010, 08:27 AM
I tried RPM Blast and it was hard on my arm at 48 then.
I like a soft string like Revolution 17 or Cyber Blue 17 then.

alm
03-27-2012, 03:39 AM
I tried RPM Blast and it was hard on my arm at 48 then.
I like a soft string like Revolution 17 or Cyber Blue 17 then.

This must be down to your frame. I've been playing with a full bed RPM Blast (17 gauge) @58lbs and it does not feel overly hard or stiff. FYI, I play with the Flexpoint Radical and Prince Rebel 98.

winks
03-27-2012, 03:57 AM
Throw me in as another one who feels that for a Poly, RPM Blast plays on the soft side.

To me, I've always like the firmer feel that most Polys but do like RPM. It's easier on the arm and good on spin too. Not sure it is worth the price premium though.