PDA

View Full Version : First time stringer

denj3325
08-06-2010, 07:11 AM
So I pulled the trigger on my first stringer and after doing a ton of research I decided to go with the Alpha Pioneer DC +. It is in transit right now and I feel like a little kid and its 2 days before Christmas.

My question is if it is bad to practice on your current racquet for your first time? I dont have any old racquets that I dont play with any more, but at the same time I dont want to ruin my racguet.

mikeler
08-06-2010, 07:13 AM
Just don't over tighten the mounts and you should not harm your stick.

Irvin
08-06-2010, 07:31 AM
The first racket I ever strung was for a customer and he said he really liked it. He was a good friend so I am not sure if he was being honest or being a friend. But the next time he said he wanted the same thing the same way.

It took a little over two hours the first time but got better. When I got my first 360 degree stand up stringer the time went down like a rock.

You should do fine go for it. Just make sure you find your pattern from the manufacturer before you start. That is the best way.

Irvin

Ash_Smith
08-06-2010, 11:24 AM
Maybe you'll be extra careful as you don't want to ruin your own racquet! :)

Realistically if you follow the machine instructions of guides from guys on here you'll be fine i'm sure, take your time (no rushing for a 20 minute finish!) and check your work as you go and you'll be ok.

Good luck and enjoy!

Ash

RogerRacket111
08-06-2010, 11:43 AM
Dont use your best racket I'm sure you have an old racket use that. Your bound to make mistakes and even damage your racket in the first few times.

leafscat
08-06-2010, 01:08 PM
Congrats, I picked up the same machine last winter.

I did use an older racquet but it wouldn't have mattered. I think you would have to do something drastically wrong to harm the racquet. I did use cheap string the first couple of times and would suggest the same for the first couple of string jobs. If you screw it up there is no great loss. If it goes well...you want to do it again! Cutting out a dollars worth of string won't bother you either way. My guess is that Alpha threw in a couiple of sets of their cheap nylon string. Practice with that as I doubt you will ever use it in one of your racquets.

The other thing I found helpful was the instructional DVD that came with the machine. I had it on my laptop close to the machine when I strung the first few racquets. This way if you have a question just watch that part of the DVD. Really helpful when attempting knots for the first time. It won't be long before you wonder why you found knots intimidating. I also did 2 piece jobs the first couple as it gave me twice the knots to practice.

I have found this board a great resource to a new stringer. There is some nonsense but you will be able to distinguish the knowledgeable from the nonsense fairly quickly.

Have fun and as others have said don't rush.