PDA

View Full Version : Weiss Cannon Scorpion Tension Question

xinunix
08-06-2010, 07:28 AM
I use Prince Speedport White Pros (18x19 string pattern), planning to put in a full bed of Scorpion and wondering what a recommended starting tension would be. I typically string synthetic gut at 62/62. I think Weiss Cannon suggests 8% reduction which would be around 57 lbs. Looking for any suggestions from anyone out there that has experience with these strings in a tighter string bed and slightly stiffer racquet with a full poly setup for a starting tension. I read that Scorpion is pretty soft and you get a fair amount of power out of these strings so I am cautious about going too low. I was thinking somewhere around 57/58 to start? Suggestions?

Edberg
08-06-2010, 07:35 AM
It is powerful and a great allround string. Id start out with 60 pounds if you have been using 62 pounds with a typical synthetic.

JackB1
08-06-2010, 08:07 AM
I dont think the Scorpion will be as powerful as the syngut you normally use. I think WeissCannon means to reduce it 8% from other typical poly's.
I think 56-58 is a good place to start.

Edberg
08-06-2010, 08:36 AM
What kind of synthetic are you using now XinUnix?

xinunix
08-06-2010, 09:46 AM
I am not using Synthetic, haven't for a while but when I did that is what I strung it at, I have always heard poly tensions quoted as relative to what you would string synthetic gut. I am currently using a full bed of Black Code 17 strung at 58 and I like it but would like a little more power (been trying out several Polys over the past few months and finally purchased a reel of Scorpion, mainly because of the great reviews and b/c it was $70+ cheaper for a reel than Black Code). Based on the fact that you seem to get a little more power by nature with Scorpion I was thinking I may want to start out at about the same tension, maybe 57

TripleB
08-06-2010, 09:54 AM
I strung Scorpion 1.28mm in a Prince Ozone Tour as the mains at 57 pounds and it was waaaaaay too tight. The string didn't give me much power, spin, or feel.

I've tried TurboTwist 1.24mm at 56 and it was MUCH better than the Scorpion.

TripleB

MuscleWeave
08-06-2010, 12:52 PM
I tried the 1.22 Scorpion as a full bed in a 95 sq" racquet and found it to be way too stiff at 57 lb. That was a 5% reduction from my usual multi tension. Taking into account the 100 sq" size of your frame, I think 57 lb at an 8% reduction (WC recommendation) from synthetic gut is a good place to start. If you would like to go with 57/58, that should be fine too.

Power Player
08-06-2010, 01:19 PM
I used Scorpion. Think it was in the low 50's. It had an interesting muted feel to it. It's a unique string. Enjoy it. I would not string full poly above 56#s to be honest. Maybe BAM, but that's about it.

Nojoke
08-06-2010, 03:23 PM
I have it in a PDRGT at 50 lbs for a full job. Nice pocketing, power, spin, and touch. No discomfort in my arm at all. That said, I think I prefer turbotwist at the same tension. A little more power, little more bite and spin, same comfort, same control. The TT is 1.18 and the scorpion is 1.22. I used the TT for about 18 hours before cutting it out, although it still had some more life, I just wanted to keep trying other strings. I have about 6-8 hours on the scorpion and aside from the initial break in, the feel has not changed much.

I just ordered a reel of the turbotwist because I thought it was better overall.

Joe

TripleB
08-06-2010, 06:20 PM
I just ordered a reel of the turbotwist because I thought it was better overall.

Joe

Agreed!

TripleB

CrispyFritters
08-07-2010, 09:01 AM
I've been playing with Scorpion for the last fee weeks. Before that I strung syn gut at 60pounds in a K90.

Tried Scorpion at 55 - good but felt slightly tight
Dropped it to 53 - very nice
Now trying 51