PDA

View Full Version : Xcel 17g mains Sonic Pro 17g crosses

xsmasher
08-06-2010, 12:52 PM
I has a friend who is using Babolat PDR with a fullbed of Xcel 16g @62 lbs, he is satisfied with the feel and the comfort of it, but the problem is control and the huge amount of power. I have two sets, xcel 17g and sonic pro 17g, I suggested to him to put the xcel in mains and the sonic pro in the crosses but am not sure of the tension since he doesnt want to sacrifice a lot of the feel that he has with the current situation. is this setup going to work great or we should replace the crosses with a synthetic. I hope to get a lot of suggestions..Thanks in advace.

xsmasher
08-07-2010, 12:10 PM
plzzzzzz :cry:

High Roller
08-07-2010, 02:13 PM
This set-up should work to meet the objective of maintaining the feel and comfort your friend likes about the Xcel, while toning down the power and increasing control. Not dissimilar to some of Head's Perfect Match hybrid offerings.

saigonbond
08-07-2010, 02:16 PM
I has a friend who is using Babolat PDR with a fullbed of Xcel 16g @62 lbs, he is satisfied with the feel and the comfort of it, but the problem is control and the huge amount of power. I have two sets, xcel 17g and sonic pro 17g, I suggested to him to put the xcel in mains and the sonic pro in the crosses but am not sure of the tension since he doesnt want to sacrifice a lot of the feel that he has with the current situation. is this setup going to work great or we should replace the crosses with a synthetic. I hope to get a lot of suggestions..Thanks in advace.

What is his level of play or NTRP? Can you describe his game (serve, groundies, etc.)?

GameSetMatch
08-07-2010, 03:30 PM
Should work fine. Xcel 17 is one of the most versatile strings you can get and one of the best for using in a hybrid. If you want longevity, just remember to give the Xcel string a little bit of pre-stretch prior to stringing so as to reduce the rate of tension loss. Personally I prefer to have the poly in the mains and multi in the crosses, but its matter of personal preference depending on your preference for spin or touch.

Incidentally, a PDR with a full bed of Xcel at 62lbs shouldn't be overpowered unless he plays a very flat game or the strings have lost alot of tension.

xsmasher
08-07-2010, 10:41 PM
He is around 4.0 NTRP

xsmasher
08-07-2010, 11:58 PM
at what tension should I string it to feel almost the same of the xcel 16g

GameSetMatch
08-08-2010, 02:53 AM
^^^ LOL. Would you like us so string it for him as well?

Try something around 10-15% less than the Xcel full bed.