PDA

View Full Version : Wilson's Ncode Sixone tour sweetspot is terrible!!!

jonas-the-ball-basher
05-26-2005, 07:17 AM
Yesterday I hit a few balls with this racquet, and whenever you hit the ball in the upper part of the racquet, like 3/4 inches below the top, it feels like a frame shot.
This racquet just feels terrible.
You really need to hit the ball really low in the sweetspot, which makes it very difficult to serve.

rooski
05-26-2005, 07:52 AM
Ummmm....contact 3/4" from the top of the racket would be a frame shot with any racket. Anybody who has ever used a true head light ProStaff frame knows the sweetspot is (and has always been) well below the exact center of the stringbed.

You clearly are just not used to heavy, small headed, head light players sticks. I'd hate to think of how you would do with a PS6.0 85 :)

BreakPoint
05-26-2005, 08:21 AM
You clearly are just not used to heavy, small headed, head light players sticks. I'd hate to think of how you would do with a PS6.0 85 :)

Or a PS 6.0 95 (maybe top 3 inches?). Just aim lower on the stringbed. It's worth it. :D

ragnaROK
05-26-2005, 09:20 AM
Yeah that's kinda the point, lol. Most of the more demanding, heavy, control oriented frames are like this. Pro Staffs have that lowered center of percussion, that's what they're known for.

supersmash
05-26-2005, 07:57 PM
haha, rooski uses the n six one 95.

jonas-the-ball-basher
05-26-2005, 11:05 PM
Ummmm....contact 3/4" from the top of the racket would be a frame shot with any racket. Anybody who has ever used a true head light ProStaff frame knows the sweetspot is (and has always been) well below the exact center of the stringbed.

I meant 3 to 4 inches below the top:-)
I just can't imagine anyone liking this frame better than a Prestige!

AndrewD
05-27-2005, 01:30 AM
Lower tensions will bring it up a bit, however, most every way you look at it the nCode Tour is an ordinary racquet. For what it is, a 90sq and heavy frame, you could just pull out any of 2 dozen racquets from the mid 80's to early 90's which were far better balanced, far more responsive and far more playable. Even if you could only choose from today's range I see no logical reason why you would choose the nCode over the Diablo, PS85, POGmidplus, Volkl mid or LM Prestige mid. All of those frames are good to great. The nCode is just unnecessary.

Jasser
05-27-2005, 08:59 PM
Even if you could only choose from today's range I see no logical reason why you would choose the nCode over the Diablo, PS85, POGmidplus, Volkl mid or LM Prestige mid. All of those frames are good to great. The nCode is just unnecessary.

In your opinion. Personally, except for the PS 85, I'd take the nCode 90 over all of those any day. The Diablo mid is decent, but I've never liked the POG mid or the newer Prestiges. The ballance feels fine to me, and with gut at mid tensions the sweet spot is plenty big for this kind of racket.

Of course I like my leaded-up Ti.Radicals even more, so...

Jason

ffrpg
05-27-2005, 09:37 PM
I agree with Jasser. The nCode 90 is a pretty nice racquet. I would easily (and have) chosen the nCode 90 over all the racquets listed above with the exception of the PS 85. The nCode 90 would be a lot better if it didn't have so much power. I find that the racquet plays well strung at 65lbs. I also added some weight to my nCode 90 and it weighs just above 13oz. It feels great. I don't know if the nCode technology is real or if it really works. I really could care less. Regardless of technology, it's just a racquet that feels great in my hands and it does what I want it to.

doriancito
05-28-2005, 07:32 AM
Yesterday I hit a few balls with this racquet, and whenever you hit the ball in the upper part of the racquet, like 3/4 inches below the top, it feels like a frame shot.
This racquet just feels terrible.
You really need to hit the ball really low in the sweetspot, which makes it very difficult to serve.

I will have to agree with you....im a member of the tennis club in my area... there is this guy who is the top player pf the club and is my very close friend. Before he went to argentina to play he had Babolat Team line racquets (roddick ones) and he had a very nice tennis...then he returned with the wilson Ncode (the one we are talking about)...well i almost go every day to the club's pro shop and i see EVERYDAY his racquet being strung or waiting to be strung....and when its waiting the string break is 3/4 from the frame and this hasnt happened once....on thursday i saw him brake strings on the same spot....and it was a good shot (no frame) but he didnt have more wilson racquet to continue so he grabbed his old babolat.

Michelangelo
05-28-2005, 08:43 AM
Basically you should hit the ball in the bottom half with Pro Staff series (especially the old Pro Staff 85). That's one of the characteristics of Pro Staff series and actually the sweet spot locates. I know this usually let people feel awkward since most people tend to hit the ball at the upper half of the string bad, including me before and I did really spent some time to force myself to change when I switched from Prince to Wilson.

One more thing is, sorry to say that, the QC of nSix-One is not quite constant. I'm using 2 nSix-One Tour 90 and one is extremely solid in every single shot, while the other one constantly gives me some metallic clanging sounds as if there's something loosen/broken internally, and I do have some control issue with that sound-weird racket too. Anyway, I still have 3 brand new unstrung nSix-One Tour 90 at home and I wish at least 2 of them will be fine so that I can have at least 3 rackets to hit with finally. My Pro Staff 85 will still only be my collection and hit with occasionally since the nSix-One Tour 90 greatly reduce my elbow pain compared with Pro Staff 85.

One of the interesting thing is I do hit balls right in the middle of the stringbad of my nSix-One Tour 90 when I serve, and I still get pretty of pop and power as well as spin (the spin might due to the fact that I'm using Luxilon ALU Power Rough on main though).

gregraven
05-28-2005, 02:28 PM
Yesterday I hit a few balls with this racquet, and whenever you hit the ball in the upper part of the racquet, like 3/4 inches below the top, it feels like a frame shot. This racquet just feels terrible. You really need to hit the ball really low in the sweetspot, which makes it very difficult to serve.

How are you stringing your racquet? It sounds as if you are installing the crosses from the throat to the head. Try doing it the other way around, and see if that doesn't help the playability.

highsierra
05-28-2005, 05:15 PM
gregraven? do you mean where the knot is makes a difference? Interesting. Can you elaborate on that a bit more?

AndrewD
05-28-2005, 05:45 PM
In your opinion. Personally, except for the PS 85, I'd take the nCode 90 over all of those any day. The Diablo mid is decent, but I've never liked the POG mid or the newer Prestiges. The ballance feels fine to me, and with gut at mid tensions the sweet spot is plenty big for this kind of racket.

Of course I like my leaded-up Ti.Radicals even more, so...

Jason

Yes Jasser, I should have made that clearer, it is just my opinion.

I still believe the nCode Tour is a very average frame and as much as I didn't like the ProStaff Tour90 I thought it was a better racquet. The nCode is too sluggish at net and on serve. Fine if you're playing from the back of the court but if you serve and volley its a liability. And yes, Id pick the PS85 over all those other frames except for the Head Prestige mid (all but the iPrestige). I think its the most playable midsize frame available and is a lot more forgiving that the other options.

gregraven
05-28-2005, 09:22 PM
gregraven? do you mean where the knot is makes a difference? Interesting. Can you elaborate on that a bit more?

No, I don't mean that the placement of the knot makes a difference. What makes a difference -- IMHO -- is whether the crosses are strung from the throat to the head, or from the head to the throat. I string the crosses all of my (and my customers') racquets from the head to the throat. I think most normal racquets play better this way.

Typically, the easiest way to achieve this is to string the racquet with two pieces of string, one for the mains, and one for the crosses.