PDA

View Full Version : Closest Sting To Babolat Super Fine Play???

dantesinferno18
08-06-2010, 05:28 PM
Since babolat does not make Super Fine play anymore can you guys tell me the next closest thing to it. OR is there somewhere i can get it? Thanks

meowmix
08-06-2010, 06:16 PM
A quick google turns out a 17g reel for $75. A little down the page is a reel for $50. Is the replacement, babolat syn gut, not the same thing? Mind, I've never played with either.

Doubles
08-06-2010, 07:09 PM
A quick google turns out a 17g reel for $75. A little down the page is a reel for $50. Is the replacement, babolat syn gut, not the same thing? Mind, I've never played with either.

From what the stringer at my club told me, the remake of super fine play, is called addiction...

Valjean
08-07-2010, 03:58 AM
From what the stringer at my club told me, the remake of super fine play, is called addiction...
Babolat's Addiction is a multifilament instead that is meant to replace Babolat's Attraction series... You'd have to pick on Babolat's Synthetic Gut now.

Employees tend to report just what the store carries as the next thing. What's more, just because they string doesn't mean they know the field that well...

Doubles
08-07-2010, 06:37 AM
Babolat's Addiction is a multifilament instead that is meant to replace Babolat's Attraction series... You'd have to pick on Babolat's Synthetic Gut now.

Employees tend to report just what the store carries as the next thing. What's more, just because they string doesn't mean they know the field that well...

Oh, sorry about that, that's what I was told. But you're right, a lot of employees are just trying to sell their products...

Keifers
08-07-2010, 07:00 AM
Since babolat does not make Super Fine play anymore can you guys tell me the next closest thing to it. OR is there somewhere i can get it? Thanks
Have you played both SFP 16 and 17? What differences did you notice between the two?

What racquet(s) and tension(s)?

lefty10spro
08-07-2010, 07:25 AM
I am old so I know what that old Babo string played like. OG sheep micro in the 17 gauge is your closest replacement.

Valjean
08-07-2010, 07:49 AM
Oh, sorry about that, that's what I was told. But you're right, a lot of employees are just trying to sell their products...
In my view, while there still isn't a true match around for Babolat's SFP, Wilson's Extreme Synthetic Gut comes closer than some in all-around play.

For equivalent placement work, on that level I'd still pick POSG though...

FYI, and if it helps any to know it, that you know of: http://www.racquetsportsindustry.com/articles/2010/01/string_selector_2010.html

dantesinferno18
08-07-2010, 08:54 AM
I am old so I know what that old Babo string played like. OG sheep micro in the 17 gauge is your closest replacement.

well i just got a reel of that about a week ago i guess i really lucked out then

jim e
08-07-2010, 09:24 AM

When Babolat stopped SFP, I went to Tecnifibres syn. gut, and was accepted very well with the previous SFP players.Both have a similar stiffness and tension loss rating with the USRSA chart on stiffness and tension loss.Very economical as well.

Lakers4Life
08-07-2010, 12:44 PM
I had a player that used BSFP, after their reel ran out. They experimented with few other brands, but the closest was Head SPP, but it was not as durable. They eventually went to a poly hybrid.

TonyB
08-08-2010, 07:50 PM
I have 5 reels (660' each) of the 17 gauge. Email me at snurple(at)hotmail(dot)com if you're interested in any of them.

I bought enough of this stuff for about 5 years or more worth of restringing. But I'm actually going through it a lot slower than I thought, so it might last me 10 years. So I figure I could let a couple of reels go at this point.

By the way, I tried at least a dozen different syn guts in an attempt to replace the SFP before I bought all those reels. Needless to say none of them were even close. Babolat's Syn Gut "replacement" is not the same thing.

JoelDali
08-08-2010, 07:57 PM
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2008/06/30/article-1030594-01CD38DF00000578-259_468x286.jpg

dantesinferno18
08-08-2010, 08:46 PM
I have 5 reels (660' each) of the 17 gauge. Email me at snurple(at)hotmail(dot)com if you're interested in any of them.

I bought enough of this stuff for about 5 years or more worth of restringing. But I'm actually going through it a lot slower than I thought, so it might last me 10 years. So I figure I could let a couple of reels go at this point.

By the way, I tried at least a dozen different syn guts in an attempt to replace the SFP before I bought all those reels. Needless to say none of them were even close. Babolat's Syn Gut "replacement" is not the same thing.

i emailed you

star 5 15
08-08-2010, 09:16 PM
I'm pretty confident that the Babolat Synthetic Gut is the same thing that SFP was. I used it as my main synthetic in customers racquets and now that its discontinued and replaced with Synthetic Gut I use it. My clients have not noticed a difference. They said had I not told them I changed the string they wouldn't have known any different.

WilsonPlayer101
08-08-2010, 10:48 PM
Everyone is talking SFP but what about the Rough? Nothing out there like that, right? I think Gosen has one called Spin or something, maybe that does it.

TonyB
08-09-2010, 01:34 AM
I'm pretty confident that the Babolat Synthetic Gut is the same thing that SFP was. I used it as my main synthetic in customers racquets and now that its discontinued and replaced with Synthetic Gut I use it. My clients have not noticed a difference. They said had I not told them I changed the string they wouldn't have known any different.

That's second hand information. I have played with SFP for years and the Babolat Syn Gut is NOT the same string. There are about 3 or 4 syn guts on the market that play acceptably, but are not identical to SFP.

Steve Huff
08-12-2010, 02:00 PM
I didn't find SFP much different than Leoina 77. Neither are "high-tech" strings. They both play consistently.

star 5 15
08-12-2010, 04:04 PM
That's second hand information. I have played with SFP for years and the Babolat Syn Gut is NOT the same string. There are about 3 or 4 syn guts on the market that play acceptably, but are not identical to SFP.

You really think it plays differently? I have used them both but I havent extensively by any means. I couldn't tell a difference. You could be right though. I didnt hit with them side by side.

barry
08-13-2010, 09:34 AM
Super Fine Play is the best synthetic gut out there. Kind of like Fairway leather grips compared with other brands. I also purchased a set of the new Babolat synthetic gut and it was crap.

Still have 1 reels, and 40 packs of Super Fine Play. Customers love it! I think Babolat quit selling it because it was hurting sells of their higher price string. I have been testing Gosen OG Micro, it is very good string, much better than the Babolat. When I run out of BSFP, it will take over.