PDA

View Full Version : Tension & Durability.

The Dampener
08-06-2010, 07:59 PM
Stringers,

Does tension affect durability?

I've been stringing my AG100s with 18G Gosen MS. I had been stringing at 52. Now I'm stringing at 50, and I could swear they're snapping sooner.

Is it my imagination, or does tension impact the lifespan of a string?

Thanks.

Damp

T-Vex
08-07-2010, 02:47 AM
Im pretty sure it does, but I'd say it's other way around (higher tension = bigger probability of breakdown)

Correct me if I am wrong...

The Dampener
08-07-2010, 08:32 AM
That was my first thought, too, T-Vex. But I'm beginning to believe that the lower tension is leading to more string movement, which may in turn be causing premature wear.

I could be completely wrong, but it feels good to rationalize my impressions like that.

:)

drak
08-07-2010, 09:21 AM
That was my first thought, too, T-Vex. But I'm beginning to believe that the lower tension is leading to more string movement, which may in turn be causing premature wear.

I could be completely wrong, but it feels good to rationalize my impressions like that.

IMO it depends on string, style of play, racket, and tension. I use Turbotwisr in a PB9 with 12 mains and I get almost no string movement and I have significant top on FH.

Wes_Loves_Dunlop
08-07-2010, 09:39 AM
Although a lower tension would create more string movement (not an extremely large difference though), there is less friction as compared to a racket with a high tension because of the high tension.

I could see a 10-15 lb difference in string tension making a noticible impact on string life, but I don't think a 2 lb difference would make it snap significantly sooner. I think its your imagination :P

mikeler
08-07-2010, 09:45 AM

With strings that don't move much, I snap them quicker at higher tensions. With strings that move a lot, sometimes they do snap quicker at lower tensions. Just my personal experience, I don't have scientific data to present for doubtful posters. :)

The Dampener
08-07-2010, 09:57 AM
Wes, you're probably right—it may very well be my imagination.

Mike, don't be so adhominemadhominemadhominem.

Ripper014
08-07-2010, 11:23 AM
There is a balance... and it depends on the string. Once you reach the strings elastic limit things change.

In general a higher string tension will last longer because the it keeps the string from moving more. But once you reach the strings elastic limit it will stretch out and not come back to its original state.

The best situation for durability for any string is to reach but not exceed the strings elastic limit... and the string stays in place by tension and the friction between the strings.

The Dampener
08-07-2010, 04:30 PM
The best situation for durability for any string is to reach but not exceed the strings elastic limit... and the string stays in place by tension and the friction between the strings.

Rip, is there a way to determine/achieve this?

Ripper014
08-07-2010, 06:15 PM
Rip, is there a way to determine/achieve this?

Nope it differs from string to string... but you will see the difference when the balance is right. The problem is sometimes to get the playability you want from your racket you need to go beyond what is recommended by the string manufacturer. I for one do not like low string tensions...