PDA

View Full Version : anyone with a sports management degree

Larrysümmers
08-06-2010, 11:48 PM
If you do, would you Mind telling what your position is, and a brief description.
And what classes you had to take in college. I'm a sr in high school this year and all the counsler said was that its a mix between sports and business.

Thanks.

hollywood9826
08-07-2010, 05:27 AM
My best friend has a degree in Sports Management. The only reason he picked the major was because at the time in the state of MD it was not offered. Because of that he was able to go to West Virginia at in state rates and save some money. Or in his case the school had to pay out less for the scholarship for him to play baseball.

I dont know if anything changed, but 5 years ago when he graduated it was not a degree that was looked at that well

GetBetterer
08-07-2010, 08:41 AM
It still hasn't changed in viewpoint. Sports management is something that's still not seen as...a "promising" career.

Your parent's spent loads of money for your education so that you could get a good job with a high pay and make a lot of money and have a better future than they do.

Sports management does not accomplish that goal unless by chance you win like 10 World Cup's as a Coach or something.

r2473
08-07-2010, 09:24 AM
unless by chance you win like 10 World Cup's as a Coach or something.

Is that taught in the SM curriculum?

GetBetterer
08-07-2010, 09:31 AM
If you get past the "Front Office" jobs, yes.

ollinger
08-07-2010, 10:20 AM
A friend of my stepdaughter has such a degree, got a pretty marginal job with the NJ Devils, seems like the degree carries less throw in the sports world than a business and/or law degree as the sport management students are seen as less rigorous and motivated students, and, well....less intelligent.

Fifth Set
08-07-2010, 05:33 PM
Agree with the others - do not waste time and money with this.

No more market value in sports than an ordinary business degree. The ordinary business degree will of course be much more flexible if you need/want to do something "non-sports" related.

Look at the senior execs in most of the sports fields. They are either former professional players, seasoned business people (where major becomes less and less relevant) and/or lawyers (e.g., heads of both NBA and NHL).

NickH87
08-07-2010, 07:26 PM
I finishing up my undergrad with degrees in sports management, business management, and finance. Business and sports management are really similar, all I had to take was one extra class for the bus. man degree so I did that, the finance was personal decision so I can come out with 3 degrees in the same amount of time. Make sure you intern more than once, best way to get your foot in the door.

hollywood9826
08-07-2010, 09:53 PM
Smart move for you on pairing the SN with other stuff.

My friend after he got his degree worked for Ripken baseball for peanuts unbtil he finally quit. Now he owns his own mortage company. He couldnt do much with that degree.

Another one of his friends in collge took a job with the Redskins and eventually stared wortking for Glaceau (Vitamin water people). Now he owns a company that sells fancy ice packs called thera pearls.

But I figured the degree aloine wouldnt really carry much weight still. Better of pairing like Nick or doing something entirely different.

NickH87
08-08-2010, 09:14 AM
Smart move for you on pairing the SN with other stuff.

My friend after he got his degree worked for Ripken baseball for peanuts unbtil he finally quit. Now he owns his own mortage company. He couldnt do much with that degree.

Another one of his friends in collge took a job with the Redskins and eventually stared wortking for Glaceau (Vitamin water people). Now he owns a company that sells fancy ice packs called thera pearls.

But I figured the degree aloine wouldnt really carry much weight still. Better of pairing like Nick or doing something entirely different.

Yeah it really narrows down the fields you can go in. Thats why its so important to intern at places you'd really like to work or are similar.